19 year old sentenced to 9 months in jail for killing elderly couple

Capbyrd

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — A 19-year-old Collierville man convicted last monthof killing a couple in a traffic crash was sentenced Tuesday to 10 years in prison, but all but nine months will be served on probation, Shelby County Dist. Atty. Gen. Amy Weirich said Tuesday.

Parker Jackson was convicted of two counts of vehicular homicide and one count of aggravated assault.

The Oct. 4, 2017 crash on Bray Station in Collierville killed John Longworth, and his wife, Gearldine “Gerry” Longworth, both 75. A passenger in Jackson’s vehicle was injured.

Judge Bobby Carter ordered Jackson to serve nine months in prison and then serve nine years and three months on probation. Jackson’s driving privileges also were revoked for 10 years.

Investigators said Jackson was driving a GMC Sierra pickup westbound on Poplar when it crashed into a Lexus sedan driven by Gearldine Longworth, who was turning when the light turned red.

Witnesses said Jackson’s pickup sped up through the intersection. Investigators said an examination of the air bag control module showed the GMC Sierra was traveling 72 mph.

I don't feel like this is enough.   He killed two people.  I probably wouldn't feel this way had he not sped up to 72 miles per hour.   This is awful. 

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 2:13 PM, peejman said:

Sounds like a "he's just a kid" sentence.  10 years of probation will make life plenty difficult.  If the deceased's family is ok with that, I have no opinion. 

I would hope and pray he had insurance and I hope either way the family sues him dark deep and indefiantely to add to his to his sentence and when he gets out make sure they sue for enough that he only draws enough in wages to exist but not have a life persay............JMHO

• Haha 1

First of all prayers to the Longworth family.

I wonder if he had used a gun would the sentence be the same. He used a 5,000 pound bullet going 105.6FPS. Not real fast but 5,000 pound bullet. You see whether the weapon is a pistol, shotgun, AR-15, hammer, knife, GMC Sierra, if the person dies and it was your fault, well sorry you're going to have to do the time. Plus I think they need to pass laws against GMC Sierra's. Seems as though they are very deadly. As for a kid, sorry if you are 18 in my mind you are an adult and should be treated as one. IMHO, your mileage may vary

• Like 1