Hi-Point promising new "more contemporary" pistol at SHOT

Capbyrd

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Ha, Ha Ha, hey maybe they are moving in the right direction. I find it amusing that they think adding a threaded barrel to a price buyer’s handgun will make a difference.

I hope they keep working towards better products.

The Achilles heel of the current model is the mags.   Since this is a new mag design, I think they've already made a huge improvement.   Of course, time will tell.   

2 hours ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

Not terrible...for $200...I think with some different grips and screws she would improve in the looks department mightily...still a huge leap from the current design....don't know what person is buying a $200 [gun] to use with a suppressor...maybe some other kind of tacti-cool muzzle attachment though.

This guy :up:

A comp would be pretty sweet too.

• Like 1

If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, the old Hi Point C9 rated a 1 on my 1 to 10 scale. This new C9 is a solid 3... maybe 3.5. It now falls into the "I wouldn't be embarrassed to show it someone" category. 

Okay, maybe I'd be a little embarrassed, but for less than $200, I could deal with it.

17 minutes ago, jgradyc said:

If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, the old Hi Point C9 rated a 1 on my 1 to 10 scale. This new C9 is a solid 3... maybe 3.5. It now falls into the "I wouldn't be embarrassed to show it someone" category. 

Okay, maybe I'd be a little embarrassed, but for less than $200, I could deal with it.

How about. ."I wouldn't pull it out in front of my friends" ?

• Haha 2
27 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I don’t own either but it appears the SCCY CPX is a better option and the price is about the same (~$200). Is there anything else USA made in that price range in 9 or 40?

I've been eying the sccy myself.

4 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

The Achilles heel of the current model is the mags.   Since this is a new mag design, I think they've already made a huge improvement.   Of course, time will tell.   

When I sent in my 995 for warranty work, they request all mags.

In my case, they replaced them all with new manufacture.

The new mags display the HP logo and mfg date.

Ymmv

• Like 4

If they do add higher capacity magazines, that will definitely be a plus. He said maybe 15+ rds. That should be good. Hi-Points are good guns for the money. People are always calling them junk. I wonder if those people have heard of Jennings, Lorcin, Davis, Cobra, Raven, etc.

3 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I don’t own either but it appears the SCCY CPX is a better option and the price is about the same (~$200). Is there anything else USA made in that price range in 9 or 40?

I like the looks and features of the SCCY. I just wonder if they will ever make something bigger than 9mm.

10 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Good post to see what the new gun design looks like.  

It ain't gonna win any beauty contests and is likely still too big to conceal carry easily, but for $200 or less (present 9MM sells for $109 or $129) it could obviously be used for home defense (one in every nook and cranny) or in a vehicle. 9MM AMMO is almost cheap enough to do a little target practice (VS the 380 I had).

AMMO expense is one reason I traded my Hi-Point 380, the other reasons were, too big to carry, and it was Keyholing.  It ran reliably. 

Plus you can add a compensator (not a commentator like I said in the TX22 post LOL).

I painted the grips on my old Hi-Point 380 (kind of a bright brown look) and thought it really helped the looks (opinion). I would paint the grips on that new one for sure.

I took $75 for the Hi-Point 380 on a trade and the dealer had it on display for $125 (Case and 3 MAGS as I had bought an extra 10 RD MAG). It is gone, so I guess someone bought it (those painted grips). HA!  

Edited by PAULSHOOT
correct typo
1 hour ago, cch2a said:

PSA has the S&W Shield 9mm for $250. Why wouldn't splurge the extra $50. Maybe street price will be lower.

Glad that they are trying to improve though.

People that buy hi-points typically aren't online shoppers.   And lets not forget that by the time you actually get that PSA gun home, you are likely in it for at least 300.  

Edited by Capbyrd
1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

People that buy hi-points typically aren't online shoppers.   And lets not forget that by the time you actually get that PSA gun home, you are likely in it for at least 300.  

I agree that typical Hi-point buyers aren't online shoppers. I was just posting for people that are online and watching this thread.  I am assuming the initial price of the hi-point will be right around $200 plus transfer fee and the Smith is $250 plus transfer fee and approx $15 bucks shipped.  

Once the price comes down to current C9 prices you probably will be sub 200 after transfer but right now at assumed prices I still think the Shield would be the better buy.  For non online shoppers I can't help them, the hi-point will probably be one of the cheaper guns in the store.  

It's going to be hard to convince me that the hi-point is the better buy if it's around 200. Maybe a little cheaper but just not enough for me. Now when you start being able to pick them up for $100 I might change my mind. 

26 minutes ago, cch2a said:

I agree that typical Hi-point buyers aren't online shoppers. I was just posting for people that are online and watching this thread.  I am assuming the initial price of the hi-point will be right around $200 plus transfer fee and the Smith is $250 plus transfer fee and approx $15 bucks shipped.  

Once the price comes down to current C9 prices you probably will be sub 200 after transfer but right now at assumed prices I still think the Shield would be the better buy.  For non online shoppers I can't help them, the hi-point will probably be one of the cheaper guns in the store.  

It's going to be hard to convince me that the hi-point is the better buy if it's around 200. Maybe a little cheaper but just not enough for me. Now when you start being able to pick them up for $100 I might change my mind. 

I don't see the new hipoint being in demand enough to be at msrp or higher.   I expect street price to start at 150 ish.   Of course its all speculation. 

Also, the shield and the hi point are different categories.  Pocket guns to full size. 

Edited by Capbyrd