L. C. Smith Shotgun info

TripleGGG

I have an L.C. Smith 12 gauge, non-ejector, field grade made in 1912.  Your serial number is actually a bit lower than mine.  If yours is a 12 gauge it looks to have been made in 1910 according to Lt. Col. Brophy's book "L.C. Smith Shotguns".  

Mine was left to me by an old gentleman who hunted hard with it over his lifetime and it shows.  It's as tight today as the day it was made and their old ads said it would stay that way due to its unique design.  Yours appears to be in outstanding condition for its age.  

They are outstanding bird guns as I'm sure you know.  

• Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, TripleGGG said:

I didn't see any but will need to take a closer look for them. 

The site @Whisper linked above talks about the LC Smith on the sides and roll marks on the barrel, not on top. With no engraving on the plate with LC Smith, if it is before 1914, looks to be 00 grade. Though the serial number list says numbers were all over the place.

I know you can read it all for yourself, but I like these puzzles. Plus, my Dad got an LC Smith when my Papaw died. I still need to get good pics and info on it.

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

The site @Whisper linked above talks about the LC Smith on the sides and roll marks on the barrel, not on top. With no engraving on the plate with LC Smith, if it is before 1914, looks to be 00 grade. Though the serial number list says numbers were all over the place.

I know you can read it all for yourself, but I like these puzzles. Plus, my Dad got an LC Smith when my Papaw died. I still need to get good pics and info on it.

The puzzles and history on guns is a big part of the fun in collecting for me. 

• Like 1

You can also get a letter from the L.C. Smith Collectors Assn.  My gun is also an L.C. Smith Hunter Arms 00 (field) grade.  I suspect these guns would have been the most common configuration.

I got a letter from the Assn. hoping for more information on where shipped, etc.  The letter didn't provide any new information for me as I already knew the grade and date of manufacture from Brophy's book but it looks nice and is some confirmation.  My letter cost $75.00.

They did respond to an email on a question I had about my gun's forearm grip which has an unusual release mechanism only used by L.C. Smith briefly.  Seem like really nice sociable folks who love their guns and love using them.