Franklin Armory Providence ("Non-semiautomatic")

Capbyrd

One of Franklin Armory's offerings at SHOT Show this year will be this thing.  

https://www.recoilweb.com/franklin-armory-announces-the-providence-145108.html?fbclid=IwAR3vB28LQzxZAjipSLo2qkQzVU9eO0ytx-4JLvpCsLZuU6Fm8lp2F8JOlcE

According to Franklin Armory, Providence “is a whole new action type that fires one round every time the trigger is pulled, but this action is not semiautomatic”.

Check out the link.  I'm not sure what to make of it, but at least its not as dumb as a barrel with straight rifling.  

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Omega said:

Interesting concept, and should work for those non-semi states, unless they reinterpret the meaning of semi like they did for the bump stock.

So ive been thinking about that a lot.   There are two ways that I can see this functioning.  Pull the trigger, it’s a short pull like a bolt action and the round goes off.  Continue pulling and it ejects and loads the next round.   I think they could make a good case that is semi automatic.

pulling the trigger cycles the bolt and loads the round and then releases the firing pin.  I think this is closer to a double action revolver and they would have a hard time classifying it as semi auto without also reclassifying da revolvers.  

If it uses gas or mechanical energy to cycle the action and eject the case, I'm guessing this will legally be considered a semi-automatic rifle.  From reading the description, it's not clear to me this this is anything other than a DAO rifle.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Whisper said:

If it uses gas or mechanical energy to cycle the action and eject the case, I'm guessing this will legally be considered a semi-automatic rifle.  From reading the description, it's not clear to me this this is anything other than a DAO rifle.

I am thinking the same thing. 

A double action rifle. I wonder why nobody ever thought about this before? Interesting and innovative. I'd certainly like to try it. 

The only problem I see will be all the semi-auto guys complaining about the long trigger pull. Where us DA revolver shooters could probably get used to it fairly quickly. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Whisper said:

From the pictures, it doesn't have a gas block or tube. 

18 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

A double action rifle. I wonder why nobody ever thought about this before? Interesting and innovative. I'd certainly like to try it. 

The only problem I see will be all the semi-auto guys complaining about the long trigger pull. Where us DA revolver shooters could probably get used to it fairly quickly. 

They didn't need to think about it before, but as soon as they ban something, some genius will find a way around the problem.

• Like 1

If it genuinely doesn't harness energy from the fired cartridge in any way, it will be interesting to see what the lawyers say about it.  

But think about this:  A decent AR will have a trigger less than 4 pounds.  A really nice one will go much less.  The best handgun DAO trigger I know of (Kellerman) is about 6.5 pounds.  Do you want a fighting rifle with a 6.5-pound trigger?  

All this is just speculation, of course, and I guess we'll just have to see what happens when it's officially revealed.  Maybe it will be cool.

2 hours ago, Whisper said:

A double action revolver uses mechanical action to load the next round.   But that isn't considered semi-automatic.   Now I also understand that a revolver doesn't eject the spent case.  But still.   Like I said above, I think the order of the action will determine how this is classified. 

On 1/18/2019 at 11:08 AM, Whisper said:

If it genuinely doesn't harness energy from the fired cartridge in any way, it will be interesting to see what the lawyers say about it.  

But think about this:  A decent AR will have a trigger less than 4 pounds.  A really nice one will go much less.  The best handgun DAO trigger I know of (Kellerman) is about 6.5 pounds.  Do you want a fighting rifle with a 6.5-pound trigger?  

All this is just speculation, of course, and I guess we'll just have to see what happens when it's officially revealed.  Maybe it will be cool.

Don’t think I was ever issued an M16 that had less than a 6 lb trigger pull. Battlefield accuracy is 1/2 minute of man at 300 meters.

1 hour ago, Moped said:

Don’t think I was ever issued an M16 that had less than a 6 lb trigger pull. Battlefield accuracy is 1/2 minute of man at 300 meters.

Mil spec on a GI rifle is 4.5-5.5 pounds.  Certainly it could be true that all the M16s you were ever issued had triggers outside of spec, but that doesn't change the point I was making:  Who wants a fighting rifle with a 6.5-pound trigger?

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Whisper said:

Mil spec on a GI rifle is 4.5-5.5 pounds.  Certainly it could be true that all the M16s you were ever issued had triggers outside of spec, but that doesn't change the point I was making:  Who wants a fighting rifle with a 6.5-pound trigger?

Someone who can’t get one otherwise?  

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Someone who can’t get one otherwise?  

Theoretically, I guess that could be right.  But, for this particular gun to be the answer to the question, it would have to be in a jurisdiction that bans semiautos but allows detachable box magazines.  Is there such a place?

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, Whisper said:

Theoretically, I guess that could be right.  But, for this particular gun to be the answer to the question, it would have to be in a jurisdiction that bans semiautos but allows detachable box magazines.  Is there such a place?

I could be wrong, but I think most of the places with an AWB tie all the banned characteristics into semi-autos.