Anyone Fish From A Jetski?

I am looking at options for fishing, its one of my loves! In the UK I was a huge Carp fisherman, they are prized fish in England, my biggest was 33lbs.  In fact they make the news when they die :)  Bit different to the US.  Anyhow, I'm going to start carp fishing again when the weather gets a little better, I have all my gear with me, so if anyone wants to spend some time with me and learn how we do it in the UK just ask!

I love bass fishing also and have been thinking about a Bass Boat, Kayak or a Jetski.  Now while I was all for a Bass Boat, I really don't want the expense, I have had a Kayak before, but I have a bad back and pulling those thing out the water and onto a trailer of roof aint fun for me. So I was thinking of a Jetski! I wondered if there were any purpose built machines available and if any of you guys use one?

I've seen some videos of some jetski's set up for fishing, rod holders, the whole 9 yards, try google fu and see what happens.  I think they were used for offshore/gulf fishing, maybe even traveled out to the oil rigs.

Do you use a fly rod or regular baitcaster/spinning set up ???

• Like 1

The intake pimp on a jet ski can draw rocks and junk off of the bottom at depths of up to 8 feet.  That might get to be a problem in places that carp are normally found.  Additionally, jet skis handle like crap at low speeds.  I have a couple of buddies who are really serious into kayak fishing.  Both have drive on kayak trailers so there is no lifting and pulling involved.  One of them is powered by a 6hp outboard, it will do about 20mph.  

• Like 1

My dad used to fish carp out of the river below a cannery when he was a kid. Back then the cannery dumped a lot of stuff in the river when cleaning out vats and such.He said they were really big and my manaw would cook them. 

My favorite to catch was always bluegill, though the little ones could be infuriating sometimes. We always pond or bank fished. We never had the funds for anything else. Heck I used a cane pole for creek fishing still back then. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, jpx2rk said:

I've seen some videos of some jetski's set up for fishing, rod holders, the whole 9 yards, try google fu and see what happens.  I think they were used for offshore/gulf fishing, maybe even traveled out to the oil rigs.

Do you use a fly rod or regular baitcaster/spinning set up ???

Bait-caster for Carp, but i'd do that from the sure and have a couple of long 48 hour sessions in my Bivvy,  Spinning setup for bass. 

6 hours ago, BrasilNuts said:

I used to watch people throw bread to huge carp at the Calhoun’s locations on the river in Knoxville and Lenoir City.  I always day dreamed of tying a fly out of a big tuft of hares foot to resemble bread and trying them with my 8 weight fly rod.

If you ever want to go on a session with me let me know!

• Like 1
6 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

The intake pimp on a jet ski can draw rocks and junk off of the bottom at depths of up to 8 feet.  That might get to be a problem in places that carp are normally found.  Additionally, jet skis handle like crap at low speeds.  I have a couple of buddies who are really serious into kayak fishing.  Both have drive on kayak trailers so there is no lifting and pulling involved.  One of them is powered by a 6hp outboard, it will do about 20mph.  

I like the sound of the drive on trailer!  It would be for bass fishing as i'd be on the shore for carp.

38 minutes ago, ShaggyRS6 said:

I like the sound of the drive on trailer!  It would be for bass fishing as i'd be on the shore for carp.

Not sure if that's something that is available commercially, I think both of the guys that I know made their own using old jet ski trailers.  It's pretty easy to do though.

• Like 1

Rode them a lot,but would not try fishing off one. You can get the little two person boat with oars or a peddle boat at low cost. I have never caught a carp because catfish always take the bottom bait first.  The Mississppi River has always been carp haven with lots of commercial fishing. The Asian Carp are now invaded the Cumberland River,I see a lot of them caught at Preist Dam when they discharge  water. The folks kept them saying great to eat? Some of the finest fish I ever had was smoked carp at fish markets on Missippi River. 

• Like 1

I have done it a couple of times (not prolonged just saw a bass jump near me and rode over for couple casts.  The issue is the low speed control, even with F/N/R controls on the newer ones they still are not fun at low speed.  There also isn't a whole lot of room for gear and anchoring can be a PITA dragging stuff out from whatever compartment you have it shoved into.

If i was going to get a boat for the sole purpose of fishing I would look at either a kayak or one of those little "bass buggies" or whatever and a trailer with a good winch.  At that weight you could get a small electric winch and pull either up onto a trailer pretty easy.

• Like 1

https://www.sea-doo.com/watercraft/sport-fishing/fish-pro.html

~$15k

https://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/d/bowling-green-ranger-boat/6784796306.html

$13.5k

I fish all day every chance I get... which isn’t near as much as I’d like.  ... between a bass boat, a kayak, and a jet ski,... given your choices at any price point, I know now which one I’d choose.

13 hours ago, Peace said:

https://www.sea-doo.com/watercraft/sport-fishing/fish-pro.html

~$15k

https://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/d/bowling-green-ranger-boat/6784796306.html

$13.5k

I fish all day every chance I get... which isn’t near as much as I’d like.  ... between a bass boat, a kayak, and a jet ski,... given your choices at any price point, I know now which one I’d choose.

11k new with trailer.  

https://www.trackerboats.com/boat/?boat=4883

• Like 1

ShaggyRS6 when a teenager we hogged for carp in the Middle Fork of the Obion river. Reaching under the hollow banks, stumps and logs feeling for them and moving you hands close but not touching them one hand to the head and one to the tail and then bringing them together to bend the fish in an arc. Was illegal to use a seine but on one occasion we did around some tree tops where they had fallen into the river from logging. Set the seine around the tree top and chase them into it was like a bunch of hogs hitting an American wire fence. My mother canned them after pressure cooking them if you put an egg white in the top of the jar they looked like pink salmon, and were delicious fried into patties. Many fond memories of fishing for carp from the good ole days.

Edited by owejia

@ShaggyRS6

Try looking around for a used Gheenoe. I'm currently in the build phase of an old Classic custom I'm rigging purely as a flats boat.

They can be picked up for around a grand, on a trailer & on a 13' or 15'4" highsider a 5-10hp outboard will get you around 20mph.

They're ridiculously stable too, for a small skiff.

00Z0Z_2yJdXkNIhrp_1200x900.jpg

• Like 1