TFA, Awareness of Bill Lee

• Administrator

Meh.

That piece, like much of what the TFA publishes, is the opinion of John Harris.  While John has done a fantastic job of championing firearms rights over the years, I take what they publish with a grain of salt and read it through the lens of being one man's opinion.  An opinion that the one man believes should be yours as well.

The last statement of that article strikes me as being the reason it was written:

If you want to do something about this, make sure you join or renew your membership in the Tennessee Firearms Association today.

Bill Lee hasn't done anything wrong yet from a Second Amendment perspective and former Sheriff Jeff Long, now Lee's Commissioner of Homeland Defense, was an extremely pro gun-ownership Sheriff for as long as I've lived in Williamson County. 

Until either one of them make a move to restrict our rights, the worst the TFA can accuse them of is not expanding them... and Lee has only been in office for a ONE DAY as of this writing.

Do I think the TFA is worthy of your financial support?  Sure.

Do I need a fear-mongering OpEd to make me cut them a check?  No.  But I guess some people do.

Honestly, a more economical and far more effective way for you to ensure that Bill Lee doesn't trample the Second Amendment is to email, write, call, and visit him in person and tell him how important it is to you.

We, as gun owners, need to stop outsourcing this to organizations like the TFA, NRA, GOA, etc.   We need to evangelize the message ourselves and be serious about it.  Elected representatives fear or respect their constituents far more than they care about organizations who claim to represent them.

What's louder?  One large voice or the storm of thousands of voices?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Administrator
5 hours ago, tnhawk said:

From my observation, every Republican that Mr. Harris has met is a RINO in his opinion

Undoubtedly so.  The only way you would have read a positive prediction about Bill Lee from John Harris would have been if Lee descended from the clouds upon a carpet-sized copy of the Constitution, and was carried to his inauguration on the shoulders of the ghosts of James Madison and Thomas Jefferson while tossing 9mm ammo to the crowd like candy from a Mardi Gras parade float.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Not for nothing, but politicians have different responses to where a message is conveyed to them (public or private).  An organization trying to establish itself as an opposition to something that doesn't yet exist forces Gov. Lee to disregard them at the least, and more likely keep a wary eye on him, lest he be seen as weak out of the gate.  They should have asked for 20 min on his calendar to introduce themselves, and summarize their agenda before spinning up the fear mill.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Lumber_Jack said:

I personally have zero desire to carry a gun in the state capital.  Now those that work there deserve better but I'm not going to let that decision be the litmus test for Lee's future agenda. 

Not saying that we need to go to the mattresses over it, but philosophically, I think gun carry in the state capital is the litmus test.  To me, it's the easiest question to see if a politician respects the rights of the people to be armed, or something only to be tolerated at a distance, and behind a wall of security.

I have to get permission by the state to carry a pistol outside of my home and vehicle and range time, or else doing so meant I was breaking the law.  The state ran a background check on me, and forced me to attend a mandated training program before pronouncing me safe to carry in public.  But even with their required system, I still can't carry my weapon in a building that the public pays for, and is there for the purpose of the people's business by the representatives and officials we elect.  Really, there is nowhere more symbolic to be able to exercise the rights of the 2nd Amendment than the power halls of the government that amendment ensures we can protect ourselves against. 

Banning guns from the capital is the ultimate protection of the ruling class from the proletarian, meaning the carry permit is just an appeasement method for whenever they don't have to deal with us.  In essence, they've made a giant safe space for themselves, but it's a physical one, not an emotional variant.  At best, it's a infringement of liberty...at worst, it's a way to secure a base of power. 

It's a simple question to me of if the government really believes in the principles of the 2nd Amendment, or just pays lip service to it for votes.  We either have an ally on our side or just another person we're negotiating with.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Administrator
27 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Banning guns from the capital is the ultimate protection of the ruling class from the proletarian, meaning the carry permit is just an appeasement method for whenever they don't have to deal with us.  In essence, they've made a giant safe space for themselves, but it's a physical one, not an emotional variant.  At best, it's a infringement of liberty...at worst, it's a way to secure a base of power. 

You aren't wrong, but here's what needs to happen:  If they're going to allow us to carry there, then THEY should be allowed to carry there as well.  Government workers should be allowed, no... encouraged to be armed.  Armed in the clerks offices, armed in the courtrooms, armed in the jury gallery, armed in the hallways, armed in the parking lots, armed on the sidewalks... armed.

Let's face it:  Politicians piss people off no matter which side of the aisle they are on.  Someone, somewhere, blames them for something.  The same for judges, attorneys, jurors, etc.  And assembling them all together with set schedules of comings and goings makes them easy to find and easy for criminals and future-criminals to target.

You and I probably get to enjoy a life where we aren't as loathed as a lot of government workers are.  We go to our jobs where, if we are lucky, people are reasonably happy to see us and interact with us.

I wouldn't wan to to be an unarmed government worker in a sea of armed potential assailants.  Level the playing field and I'm a lot more open to it.

• Like 2

As you refer to carry permits in general. In my humble opinion you have givin up your second amendment right and exchanged it for a privilege. A right can not be taken away or infringed on, a privilege can be taken away or modified at the discretion of those that granted it at anytime. I refuse to bow to the state and turn my God given right into a privilege they can regulate and charge me money for.

5 hours ago, TGO David said:

You aren't wrong, but here's what needs to happen:  If they're going to allow us to carry there, then THEY should be allowed to carry there as well.  Government workers should be allowed, no... encouraged to be armed.  Armed in the clerks offices, armed in the courtrooms, armed in the jury gallery, armed in the hallways, armed in the parking lots, armed on the sidewalks... armed.

Let's face it:  Politicians piss people off no matter which side of the aisle they are on.  Someone, somewhere, blames them for something.  The same for judges, attorneys, jurors, etc.  And assembling them all together with set schedules of comings and goings makes them easy to find and easy for criminals and future-criminals to target.

You and I probably get to enjoy a life where we aren't as loathed as a lot of government workers are.  We go to our jobs where, if we are lucky, people are reasonably happy to see us and interact with us.

I wouldn't wan to to be an unarmed government worker in a sea of armed potential assailants.  Level the playing field and I'm a lot more open to it.

And I'm A-OK with that.  I'm still of a mind that the metal detectors at entry checkpoints and officers in the building for security stay, and keep those without permits from bringing in weapons.  I just want my carry permit to be honored by the state that gave it to me inside government buildings.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
22 minutes ago, btq96r said:

And I'm A-OK with that.  I'm still of a mind that the metal detectors at entry checkpoints and officers in the building for security stay, and keep those without permits from bringing in weapons.  I just want my carry permit to be honored by the state that gave it to me inside government buildings.

Sorta like Texas where when you enter the state house, if you show them your carry permit, they waive you around the security checkpoint where they screen using metal detectors, eh?

8 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Sorta like Texas where when you enter the state house, if you show them your carry permit, they waive you around the security checkpoint where they screen using metal detectors, eh?

Yeah. Bags can still be subject to search in my mind, but a permit means your gun is good to go.

13 hours ago, Bobbyb said:

As you refer to carry permits in general. In my humble opinion you have givin up your second amendment right and exchanged it for a privilege. A right can not be taken away or infringed on, a privilege can be taken away or modified at the discretion of those that granted it at anytime. I refuse to bow to the state and turn my God given right into a privilege they can regulate and charge me money for.

I have not given up or traded anything; you don’t have to give up a right to have a privilege you buy. I fully understand that the state of Tennessee does not recognize the 2nd amendment as an individual right. However, it is better than many states and headed towards Constitutional carry.

I am part of a “Special Group”. Unlike some who do not have the financial ability to pay for the classes and the permit; thankfully I do.

That doesn’t mean I don’t believe that I have a God given right to be armed; I do believe that. However, the state does not agree with me and they will arrest me if I don’t comply with their rules. I was arrested in another state for no crime other than having a gun in my car. I went to the NRA for help; they refused. I was naive and thought I could take my case all the way to the SCOTUS and make some changes. I was uneducated about how those cases are handled and didn’t understand that being right is not enough. I don’t want to ever go through that again so I will abide by all state laws of the states that I am in.

I can carry most anywhere I go and I will continue to pay for that privilege until it becomes a right. I feel for those that can’t afford it. But the state is moving forward, not backward as some imply. The recent change in the law allowing a gun in your car is an example.

I am a firm believer in States Rights. And since the state and local Police and Sheriff’s departments are responsible for local law enforcement; the state makes the laws. I do not believe the Federal Government should be involved in deciding when, where and what I can carry, unless that involvement comes in the form of a SCOTUS decision acknowledging my right to bear arms as they have with my right to keep arms.

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see if some decent carry bills make it through the legislature's committee system this year.  I would like to see college campus carry fully legalized and even K-12 school carry legalized with a handgun carry permit. The weapons offense behind the 'no guns' signs removed would be nice too.  It is strange that you cannot carry with a permit at the Capitol here even though it otherwise would be legal.  It sounds like the politicians are scared of the honest people.

I understand what your saying completely and am terribly sorry for the harassment and miscarriage of justice you mentioned for exercising your second amendment right. I’ve had this same discussion with many other friends and realitives. If you and I and the tens of thousands of other law abiding citizens in this country who choose to take responsibility for there own saftey and. The safety of there families and communities would speak out with a unified voice. WE are not going to compromise on our second amendment right ONE inch. There would not be enough jail cells to silence it. I pray the day comes when this happens and our rights will be recognized without any harm or violence.  Make no mistake the powers that be are constantly chipping away at this right and many others. What some people don’t understand especially people that are not gun owners. If we loose our right to protect ourselves the other rights that they hold dear will quickly follow 

• Administrator
On 1/21/2019 at 6:54 PM, Bobbyb said:

If you're carrying without a permit, you're committing a crime.   Don't be stupid.

• Like 4

I do hope there can be some positive work done in the Legislature for cutting restrictions on people with handgun carry permits now that there is a new House Speaker.  It is kind of pathetic that we can get fined over a 'no gun' sign and can't even carry at college campuses legally after paying the money for a handgun carry permit.  People who live in Alabama and Mississippi can carry at public K-12 public schools with licenses. 

13 minutes ago, 300winmag said:

I do hope there can be some positive work done in the Legislature for cutting restrictions on people with handgun carry permits now that there is a new House Speaker.

Get your representative to introduce a bill.  Without a bill coming to the floor for a vote, in both the House and Senate, nothing is changing.

25 minutes ago, Whisper said:

Get your representative to introduce a bill.  Without a bill coming to the floor for a vote, in both the House and Senate, nothing is changing.

I see gun groups asking for money. Do they not have legislators that will introduce bills? That’s not an argument; that’s a question. I would think the TFA, NRA, GOA, etc. would know legislators that will introduce bills.

I’m not saying contacting your legislators isn’t a good idea; I just believe its being done.