Unheard of??? Dealer Took a Gun Back

PAULSHOOT

A buddy bought a Walther 22 Pistol. I am not sure which model (think a PPQ or something).

Main thing is he wanted a late model that had modifications (a captive recoil sporing - later models did, earlier models did not).

He bought from Smoky Mtn Guns & Ammo in Sevierville.

He got it home and found out it was an old model (verified a 2013). He called Walther,  basically they verified it was a 2013 and said dealers often buy stock (large numbers) from a warehouse.

He was pretty upset and went back to Smoky Mtn Guns. Gun manager was not in, a previous gun manger was in but now works in another area. He contacted the previous gun manger. That gun manger went down and verified that every Walther of that model was a 2013 (there is a code in the S/N I think). 

Anyway, net result was they agreed on a Trade In (full price trade) on a upgraded model (like $67 more). Smoky Mtn Gun AMMO absorbed the background Check for the new gun and friend said only ended up paying $23 difference.  

I AM PRETTY SURE I have the story correct as he described it. 

I AM NOT SAYING Smoky Mtn Gun AMMO is gonna do that on every gun a customer is upset about. He has bought a number of guns there (so reckon that influenced their decision). , 

• Like 2

So…If I understand your post correctly and your question, your friend did not get what he wanted and took it back and the dealer gave him what he wanted? Good for them.

It’s not unheard of for a dealer to take gun back. But unless there is a problem with it; they don’t want to. Once transferred it can’t be put back on the shelf and sold as new.

• Moderators

Sounded like to me he thought he was buying a current version since buying new, and he got a "new" gun manufacturered in 2013. Glad they did what was right. I buy very few new from a gun store. Never thought about a manufacturing date could be 6 years old on a new purchase. 

Edited by TripleGGG
6 hours ago, TripleGGG said:

Sounded like to me he thought he was buying a current version since buying new, and he got a "new" gun manufacturered in 2013. Glad they did what was right. I buy very few new from a gun store. Never thought about a manufacturing date could be 6 years old on a new purchase. 

May explain why Bud's has a stack of Ruger ARs for $479

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, A.J. Holst said:

May explain why Bud's has a stack of Ruger ARs for $479

I thinks that’s just where the AR market is right now.  AFAIK, the base model AR 556 has not changed or had any tweaks made to make it more reliable. 

It is becoming more common for manufacturers to fix some kind of defect halfway through, and retailers to sell them, without changing model numbers or telling consumers.  

There are numerous examples, but the SIg P365 is just the latest...you want one made after a certain date but you gotta know when it was made.

19 hours ago, TripleGGG said:

That is the reason. He had no idea they would be selling an older model (a 2013). He would not have bought the older model due to his feelings about the recoil spring.

Maybe, it would be be smart to verify the year made on any purchase before you close the deal (especially if you have researched and know there is a significant design change on later models).

I have never verified, I just took what the salesman went to get from the back stock while I was filling out the background form.

Every gun I have bought has been New from a Dealer (BUDs or Smoky Mtn Guns & Ammo, or Floyds Guns and Golf). CORRECTION -- Brain Fart - I did buy a used SW22 Victory at BUD's (as of now Good Buy, but first shoot it would not eject (4 or 5 of 10). I found fix on U-Tube to bend ejector slightly into where it hit the rim of cartridge, now happy with it.  

That be total of 5 new ones  (traded one of the first 4 for the fifth one). I did chip in on a pistol with son (50% each), it is in his name and was new also from dealer in GA., 

Actually, I was talking Pistols for the five new. I also bought one new 22 rifle, since I got into this gun stuff (DEC 2015). 

Well, a 12 GA shotgun when I was 16 years old (64 years ago) - it was new also (still have it).   

Edited by PAULSHOOT
correct number of new pistols

When I am serious about a purchase, when the gun itself it laid in front of me (whether from stock in the back or the display case) I field strip it then and there. This is as/after my CCDW/License has been handed over for dealer paperwork with the 4473. To be honest shame on the buyer/seller if they didn't or objected. I have walked from a sale while the BGC was going down due to poor service. I have walked from a deal to go pay more where my questions were answered better. 

Kudos for the gun shop on good service, but they had no need too, it was on your friend for know knowing what he was buying.

Murgatroy ---

Good way to do it.

That said, like my friend, I would have never thought 2013 guns sold in 2019 (I can see now that it can be and best to know what you are getting). Apparently, Smoky Mtn Guns & AMMO has a slew of the Walthers (2013).