Gun left in Bathroom in Publix

KahrMan

Hope this was not one of our members.  So I stop by the Publix on Hwy 100 in Bellevue and the police are there filling out some paperwork.  I casually mill around and eavesdrop on what is going on.  Turns out that some guy left a gun in the sink in the handicap stall in the bathroom.  One of the workers found it and turned it in to management who called the police.  

I am guessing the dude upholstered when he sat down to do his business and just forgot it.     Not sure how you forget your gun.  Makes all hip holders look bad when one of us does something like this.  I am just glad a kid didn't find it.

So just remember, if nature calls when you are out in public, DO NOT FORGET YOUR GUN! 

1 hour ago, KahrMan said:

Hope this was not one of our members.  So I stop by the Publix on Hwy 100 in Bellevue and the police are there filling out some paperwork.  I casually mill around and eavesdrop on what is going on.  Turns out that some guy left a gun in the sink in the handicap stall in the bathroom.  One of the workers found it and turned it in to management who called the police.  

I am guessing the dude upholstered when he sat down to do his business and just forgot it.     Not sure how you forget your gun.  Makes all hip holders look bad when one of us does something like this.  I am just glad a kid didn't find it.

So just remember, if nature calls when you are out in public, DO NOT FORGET YOUR GUN! 

I don't know, does it really make us all look bad?  If a teacher does something bad, does it make them all look bad?  Or a cop, same question?  Sometimes I think we're too hard on ourselves when we ascribe something bad or stupid to us as a whole group.  I'm not sure the rest of the public does that against us......but, I'm not sure.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, QuackerSmacker said:

I don't know, does it really make us all look bad?  If a teacher does something bad, does it make them all look bad?  Or a cop, same question?  Sometimes I think we're too hard on ourselves when we ascribe something bad or stupid to us as a whole group.  I'm not sure the rest of the public does that against us......but, I'm not sure.

They do.  Its why when someone with an ar shoots up a theater, its not that he is a nut job and needed to be culled, its that we are all evil and need to be disarmed. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, QuackerSmacker said:

I believe so.  It like what Capbyrd said.  I know there are a couple of people at that Publix who were wondering why people needed to carry a gun if they are going to be irresponsible like that.  For people who are not leaning one way or the other in the gun control debate, things like this leaves a bad impression.  

• Like 1

Actually, its not that uncommon and seems to happen now and then. And usually, its someone that is very accustomed to carrying, such as a LEO. I'm sure you've all seen stories in the past about the Chief, detective or even uniformed officer who left their handgun in the can or elsewhere. The person is just so used to having it be there that they forget it isn't. 

Some years ago, the city I worked for did a blood drive. The Bloodmobile parked at a fire station and that's where we went to give. One of our female police officers finished up and I took her place on that couch.  A few minutes later,  I'm laying back there just chillin' and doing the thing, when I hear tires squeal as a patrol car comes flying into the parking lot. This same officer jumps out of the car, runs inside and walks directly up to me. Then, with a very red face, she opened the drawer under the couch, retrieved her service weapon and put it back in her holster. Neither one of us said a word as she turned and left. :rolleyes:

Hell, I'll even admit that a time or two I've been in a hurry to go somewhere. I feel the holster on my belt and figure all is good. But then I walk out of the house and realize that I forgot to put the gun in the holster. :eek:  BTW: no, I have never left it anywhere in public. When nature calls, I put it in my pants where I can't forget it. 

Yes, its foolish, irresponsible and embarrassing. But sometimes you're in a hurry and miss a detail or two. Brain farts can happen to the best of us. :wall:

• Like 2
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, KahrMan said:

I believe so.  It like what Capbyrd said.  I know there are a couple of people at that Publix who were wondering why people needed to carry a gun if they are going to be irresponsible like that.  For people who are not leaning one way or the other in the gun control debate, things like this leaves a bad impression.  

I tend to agree with this. One bad action is all it takes. 

Now to keep things interesting was it an anti gun person who left it there?

Oh crap gotta run to the store I am out of tin foil again. 

• Like 1

A stupid tax would be in order here, in my opinion.

A stupid tax, properly administered, would likely be all the tax the city/county/state/federal governments would need to collect in order to function properly.

That being said, I might wind up paying more in taxes under such a plan.

15 hours ago, btq96r said:

I always just put the gun into the little basket my drawers make while doing my business.  Kind of impossible to not get a reminder it's there if I somehow forget while pulling my pants up.

If you’re ever at the range with Mr. btq96r, keep the above quote in mind if he offers to let you shoot one of his pistols.  🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 7
  • Thanks 1