Cancer Sucks...

Fourtyfive

I’ve been quiet and I suppose in denial. My son and my cousin’s wife are battling cancer. My son has had four week long sessions of chemo, his numbers were down after every session. He was supposed to be cured after those; he is not. He is now facing more chemo and possibly radiation and surgery; he is my son and business partner. My cousin’s wife has had lots of chemo and a stem cell transplant, she is doing well; as I understand, on her way to a hopefully total recovery. I don’t ask for sympathy, just lots of prayers; the squeakiest wheel gets the grease. Send the grease.....

• Like 8

I have worked with too many people over the years with cancer in my job as a laboratory tech. I'm sure cancer has affected everyone on this board in one way or another. If you haven't had it someone close to you or friends have. Prayers to you fourty five and all affected by this vicious disease.

My prayers for you all. Cancer doesn't affect just the patient...all the family and many friends are devastated by the disease and the treatment. I know this well.

As a Leukemia/Lymphatic Cancer survivor, I know the scenario quite well.

My story quite similar to both those.

I had 9 months of daily chemo treatments, a week on and a week off. It wasn't pleasant. After that, my tumors were still active, and I was sent to the Sarah Cannon Center at Centennial, where I was introduced to the hard core people. A tough bunch, but with a determination to see me though.

I was told of the Stem Cell Transplant procedure, and then introduced to the other half of the process...the High Dose Chemo. I thought I had it bad before. I was wrong.

Five days of high does of very potent drugs. I walked in on Monday morning. Monday afternoon and the following 4 days I was taken everywhere on a gurney.

I hope and pray this lady can bypass the latter part of my story.

Had 3 months of radiation, and after another 3/4 months of recuperation, I was pronounced to be "in remission." Two little words that took my breath away. Lots more to the tale than that, but you don't really want or need to hear it. 

My course did somewhat parallel what your son is going thru. I had a grapefruit sized tumor between my stomach and colon.

I was told not to worry. Surgery and a little chemo or radiation and I would be fine.

Surgery was performed and Doc found a vessel encompassed by the tumor. It hadn't shown up in all the scans, so he closed me up and we began the chemo 6 weeks afterwards.

That's where my previous comments come in. The chemo drugs are supposed to be more effective now, with lesser side effects. I don't know. I've heard yes and no on that from other patients in waiting room conversations. One thing I found is that cancer is a true bonding glue for people. Many, like myself, will talk for hours about what we went thru.

It's cathartic for those who endure it, and informative for all others when discussed.

Sorry to be so long here. Tell the both that there is hope of at least remission if not a total release from it all.

I found that family, prayer, love and faith can work wonders.

I wasn't really expected to be here today, but all the love and prayer, not to mention, nor leave out, the absolutely wonderful team of doctors and nursed I had; I am here.

I always say that God didn't want me yet. I still had/have something to do here.

I will keep you all in my prayers. May God Bless and Keep you all in his arms.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 3