Regarding Traffic Stops & Action After Self Defense

• 1 month later...

A few years ago I was questioned in a fairly big case. I wasn't a suspect, but they were still at the point where "we can't rule anyone out". I probably should have had a lawyer with me, but I didn't do anything wrong and explained what I knew truthfully. You could tell by their questioning though, that they were trying to trip me up, but I didn't fall for it. They will also try to be overly friendly trying to "help you out", don't fall for that either. You can tell that what they even try to pass off as "small talk", has a purpose of gathering info. Everything the investigator says is deliberate, from hello to good by, seeing how you respond.

I'd say, if involved in a shooting, make your statement, but don't answer any questions other than "What happened" and then give your statement. If the investigator starts asking how or why about your statement, you better shut up at that point. 

I had a true life incident at 16 that taught me a very valuable lesson. I was out spotlighting deer (without a gun) and somebody ratted me out. The Game Warden caught up to me the next day at school and wanted to question me about it. Being underage, they had to wait until Dad was there to question me. Me, mistakenly thinking it was perfectly legal to spotlight without a gun, thought it was a good idea to plead my case that I didn't have a gun and everything would be ok. Got charged and ended up in Juvenile Court. I found out later that the only evidence they had on me, before my complete voluntary confession, was a vague description of my vehicle. If I had kept my mouth shut that day, they wouldn't have had enough evidence to charge. Again, the Game Warden was trying to be all "buddy buddy" until he charged me. It all worked out, with me just getting a stern talking to by the judge, but the whole ordeal taught me a valuable lesson.  

• 3 months later...

Been some time since I returned to this thread I started. I have learned a lot in reading the replies. That said, I can see a mix of opinions that make it hard to decide what to do as far as statements at the time of an incident. I have my opinion and hope I can perform correctly. .

Justice depends so much on the knowledge, honesty, and agenda of those involved including the suspect, police on the scene, DA, attorney's. Sad, thing is they are all humans and have agendas I imagine.  

There are many examples of Bad Police or Bad Decisions by Police, DA's and Judges in cases resulting in actions that can affect your life (many are shown in some of the posts in this topic - officers arresting someone for drugs when none where involved, Larry's case was a real extreme display of what the Police and Justice system can do to you in a SD case - obvious SD based on the facts - not determined by the Police or the system until much bad legal action against Larry).  

This country as a whole has become so hateful, not to say worse than in past if you look at history of treatment of Indians, Minorities, New Immigrants, Civil Rights, Equality, but it seems to be worse now (likely cause more news on it than in past). 

It's a shame things can't be always 100% correct. Not that it will ever be with Humans involved.

Anyway, as far as a SD Incident -

My opinion it would be an error not to make a statement (and I am not sure anyone is really saying don't make a statement, but saying don't get caught up into a lot of details that you may not remember correctly under the stress).

My opinion it would be an error to try and give details of what happened and have the details used against you (likely, you will not give the exact details under the stress, and any errors can be used against you).

PS: Besides some Police might get it right and some Police may not get it right  (they are human).  DAs and Judge don't get it right as a lot of innocent people are in jail, sentenced to life or death because of justice system errors (it's humans making decisions).  

So, I say for a SD Incident involving Deadly Force or any Force; - Give a Statement :

Basically would include Feared for Life and / or Bodily Harm and there has been a Shooting:

Tell 911 what happened, where you are, and what you are doing now (don't start answering detailed questions - that comes later with a lawyer); 

Tell Police what happened and add any information regarding witnesses, evidence (don't start answering detailed questions,  that comes later with a Lawyer - do let them know you are willing to cooperate).  

Is That Bad Advice?