Five Houston Officers Shot

Garufa

The names of the undercover officers were not released but they range in age from 33 to 54, with the oldest having been shot several times previously, according to Acevedo.

Dude, I think its time to retire.   Maybe take a desk job.   

Hey @Chucktshoes, maybe this thread is appropriate to discuss the militarization of police, overuse of SWAT and what that has to do with the war on drugs.

Prayers for all the officers and their families for a good recovery done by all.

Now with that said. The war on drugs is exactly that. A war and the drug dealers and drug lords are willing to do battle with anyone trying to end their business and hurt their profits. I have no problem at all with SWAT teams having anything in the way of equipment necessary to defend and protect themselves when they do a raid such as the one in Houston last night.................JMHO

You can bet next time they go to serve a drug warrant or most any warrant anymore there will be a SWAT team on scene. Should have been one that time. I think the police put to much faith in their bullet proof vests to keep them from harm...................JMHO

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

The lead officer from this raid is likely to face criminal charges for lying is the warrant affidavits essentially making up a CI. 

The victims here had less than a quarter ounce of weed and a few grams of an unidentified white powder (but not the heroin that was the reason for the warrant). They weren’t drug kingpins armed to the teeth, but they did end up dying in this drug war for what amounts to nothing more than a personal use quantity of weed and a 9mm handgun. All because an officer thought lying was more efficient than doing some actual investigation work. The war on drugs as national policy and the warrior culture built up around it in modern policing incentivizes this sort of behavior. It has to end.

As far as I am concerned the deceased were simply protecting their home from actual criminals and justified in that defense. The officers involved should be charged with murder in addition to the charges related to malfeasance in their duties.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Houston-police-shooting-affidavit-confidential-13620120.php

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 5
5 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

HPD Chief Acevedo has said that HPD will be ending its use of no knock warrants. This is a big deal and a direction that I fervently hope will be adopted by departments nationwide. 

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Houston-police-to-end-use-of-no-knock-warrants-13626158.php

Good.  I also hope that more agencies start adopting such a policy rather than the current norm.  If they want to catch people or serve a warrant, just have some patience and wait.

• Like 4
  • 9 months later...
  • Moderators

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gerald-goines-houston-police-officer-charged-with-murder-drug-raid-that-killed-couple-today-2019-08/

Some updates on the case. 

Two officers, including the lead detective are facing state charges from tampering with government documents to felony murder along with federal civil rights charges for both officers and a third party whose multiple false 911 calls were instrumental in creating this situation. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gerald-goines-houston-police-officer-charged-with-murder-drug-raid-that-killed-couple-today-2019-08/

Two officers, including the lead detective are facing state charges from tampering with government documents to felony murder along with federal civil rights charges for both officers and a third party whose multiple false 911 calls were instrumental in creating this situation. 

WOW!

3 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

I wonder how often this sort of thing happens and the cops never get caught. 

I'm sorry that anyone has to die over drugs. That being said I am 67 and there has been a so called "war on drugs" for about 55+ years of my life. If the drug dealers are smart they will just pay off more people in the LEO and judicial system and go on as usual. Do you realize how many people are making money other than the drug dealers?? All these drug task forces seize a whole lot of money just out there on the west bound side of I-40, and they get to keep it to make their task force larger. There is a war on drugs like I am a award winning brain surgeon!!

• Like 1
On 12/16/2019 at 8:23 PM, Chucktshoes said:

I’ll refrain from speculating on the amount, but it doesn’t really matter. No matter how many times it happens it’s too many times.

Agreed.  The cop haters and the anarchists are probably salivating over the idea of how much this happens, but once is way too much.