Thunder Beast Arms bipod

Looks like TBAC is launching a bipod.   

https://www.recoilweb.com/thunder-beast-launches-tbac-bipod-shot-2019-144903.html

For quite some time the Thunder Beast has been making waves in the precision shooting community with their excellent suppressors. Until the introduction of the new TBAC Bipod, they have only dabbled in non-suppressor products. Given their reputation, it isn’t hard to see why we had to stop by the Thunder Beast booth to gander at the new Bipod.

Thunder Beast has been working on perfecting their Bipod for a bit now, we first got a chance to shoot off a prototype over a year ago and recall being impressed with what they had come up with thus far. After seeing what a solid year of R&D (The TBAC guys are skilled precision shooters and spend a ton of time on the range) they have come up with a bipod that they can truly be proud of with a feature set inspired by experience rather than a good idea fairy.

As we have come to expect from Thunder Beast, the machine work on the example shown in their booth was nothing short of outstanding.

1/7

IMG_3243

Kind of looks like it is somewhere in between some Harris offerings and Atlas offerings.  

6 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

Guys are using 1500 dollar tripods now.   This bipod is cheap is comparison.  

It's true that this isn't priced near the high end of the market, but I suspect it's still priced higher than most shooters are willing to go.

I'd be inclined to spend that money on upgrades to my rifle and optics, or take time and ammo to work on my fundamentals.

But, choices are good and this looks like a good option for shooters who are in that part of the market.

1 hour ago, TomInMN said:

It's true that this isn't priced near the high end of the market, but I suspect it's still priced higher than most shooters are willing to go.

I'd be inclined to spend that money on upgrades to my rifle and optics, or take time and ammo to work on my fundamentals.

But, choices are good and this looks like a good option for shooters who are in that part of the market.

People have been buying Atlas bipods that cost that much for years.  Even though its high, people are going to spend the money for quality products.  

55 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

People have been buying Atlas bipods that cost that much for years.  Even though its high, people are going to spend the money for quality products.  

True, but as I said, way beyond MY comfort level for a piece of equipment that doesn't do better than a Harris, or cheaper unit.   

10 minutes ago, Omega said:

True, but as I said, way beyond MY comfort level for a piece of equipment that doesn't do better than a Harris, or cheaper unit.   

I don't necessarily disagree.  I have a Harris I move between rifles now.   I like it plenty and don't necessarily see a reason to spend more.   

I have an Atlas that I paid the $300+ for.

Does it work well?
Yes. Slower deployment than a Harris, but there is nothing that it doesn't do well that I have found.
Looking at it, dissecting the fit/finish, it is almost a machinist's work of art.

My justification for it at the time was that it was a necessary part of the system that included longer range glass, a Radius, and a 1 MOA rifle that could quickly engage multiple targets at 400+ yards.
Still a viable setup I suppose, but I ain't doing another one.
That gets expensive in a hurry!

Would I buy a 2nd one?
No. I like it fine, but after using it for a while, it's just a bipod.
And to be honest, I felt like a sucker for falling for the marketing hype.

Not likely that I'd spend $400 +/- for the TB above.
It's still just a bipod.

Maybe there are uses and/or functions for one that I'm not aware of?
Maybe those factors would make it more valuable accessory?
I dunno, just my opinion.
YMMV

23 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

For sure. I really like the aesthetic of this and similar units, and appreciate the value proposition of the Harris and similar. The Magpul bipod might be a decent compromise, but I haven't seen one in person yet.

I have an Atlas, it was tough for me to shell out $300 for a bipod but I hated the Harris style bipods I had at the time. The Atlas ended up being well worth the price.

A couple of months ago I bought the Magpul bipod. I haven't had many chances to shoot lately, but the couple of range trips I made it has worked well off of the bench, holding up an 11# rifle.

I bought the ARMS style and LaRue QD mount, so total investment was about $150. If you have a dedicated rifle to leave it on then it is a no brainer at $90ish for the mlok or pic style IMO.

• 10 months later...
On 1/31/2019 at 8:10 AM, TomInMN said:

For sure. I really like the aesthetic of this and similar units, and appreciate the value proposition of the Harris and similar. The Magpul bipod might be a decent compromise, but I haven't seen one in person yet.

If wobbly bipods are appealing, the Magpul would seem to fit the bill.