Internet sales tax

xsubsailor

I got a shock today when placing an order with Midway, they've started adding sales tax to their orders. I placed an order in Nov. and had no tax added so this much have started this year. I wonder if it's just a Midway thing or if all on-line sellers are going to have to include taxes ( I know they're supposed to but most don't)

sales-tax.png

• Angry 1

I was talking to some friends the other day and we were discussing online orders and they compared a price to another and said something about tax.  I told them that my policy has always been to assume that they will charge me tax and then just be pleasantly surprised if they didn't.   I never let that influence my decision of who to do business with because they are just trying to cover their tails.   

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

I was talking to some friends the other day and we were discussing online orders and they compared a price to another and said something about tax.  I told them that my policy has always been to assume that they will charge me tax and then just be pleasantly surprised if they didn't.   I never let that influence my decision of who to do business with because they are just trying to cover their tails.   

Not me, I take everything into account, taxes and shipping included.  Hell, I'll cross the street for 1¢ a gallon cheaper gas.  I used to use Amazon quite a bit because of their free shipping, even if I had to spend the $25, then $35, to get it.  Now, they roll that into the price, so I shop elsewhere unless they're competitive in price.   

Unfortunately it is a matter of time until it’s everywhere.the rate they have fallen in line says a lot. They are just Working them in order of revenue. Enjoy it while you can and if you can, make your large online purchases before it’s too late.

that shrill noise in the background is the fat lady warming up....

Tennessee needs tax all online sales.If only a few businesses are taxed it will create an unfair advantage for some.Taxing online sales will make your local gunshop more competitive or they may just raise their prices.

I paid $25 taxes on my Midway order yesterday. Tennessee can never have enough money.

39 minutes ago, gary_boom said:

Tennessee needs tax all online sales.If only a few businesses are taxed it will create an unfair advantage for some.Taxing online sales will make your local gunshop more competitive or they may just raise their prices.

I paid $25 taxes on my Midway order yesterday. Tennessee can never have enough money.

Just be happy TN doesn't have an income tax yet

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Raoul said:

Just be happy TN doesn't have an income tax yet

With combined state and local, we're already number two with the highest rate in the country. Only Louisiana has a higher sales tax rate.

BTW, I agree with you on the income tax statement

1 hour ago, xsubsailor said:

With combined state and local, we're already number two with the highest rate in the country. Only Louisiana has a higher sales tax rate.

BTW, I agree with you on the income tax statement

Don't just look at the sales tax though.   Look at the overall tax burden in the state and we are the third lowest taxed state.  

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-highest-lowest-tax-burden/20494/

• Like 1

You know, I'm ok with TN sales taxes.  TN does not have a State Income Tax, so they have to get their revenue somehow.  I wish the Feds would go that route as well, and I also wish the surrounding States would do so as well, much of our sales tax revenue crosses into the border states that are lower, if even just a little bit.  I must admit, I shop KY when I can, because it is lower and it is so close, though I do make it a point to just do it for high ticket items. or when I am buying enough to make the trip worth it..

4 hours ago, gary_boom said:

You obviously are unaware of the massive surpluses from sales tax we had each quarter last year. The state of TN does not need more money. They, in fact, need to lower the sales tax because it's obviously taking it way too much money. Watching them talk about how to spend the extra money after each quarter was reported was sickening considering they had raise the gas tax last year.

• Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, macville said:

You obviously are unaware of the massive surpluses from sales tax we had each quarter last year. The state of TN does not need more money. They, in fact, need to lower the sales tax because it's obviously taking it way too much money. Watching them talk about how to spend the extra money after each quarter was reported was sickening considering they had raise the gas tax last year.

I think I remember at one point a sales tax refund was done. I can't remember how it worked though. 

52 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

I think I remember at one point a sales tax refund was done. I can't remember how it worked though. 

TN has never offered a sales tax refund that I’m aware of.  It would be nearly impossible to implement.  Now, you can deduct state sales tax up to a limit on federal tax returns that we were not able to do for many years but that may be gone with the new tax code.