Taurus 617...What holster for EDC?

chrisw670

I've got a soft spot for revolvers and just recently picked up Taurus 617, 7 shot, 357 mag.  Anyone else have one?  What holster do you use for carry?  It's an odd frame size.....slightly larger than a S&W J-Frame but not quite the size of a K-frame.  Interestingly enough, an internet search hasn't turned up a lot of holster options for the Taurus 617.  Thanks

I had a member here, make me a holster for my Taurus 627.  It's very close to the same size as a S&W K-Frame revolver.  He used his S&W K-Frame Blank to make the holster.  If it were me, I'd go to a LGS and ask if you could try your 617 in a holster made for a S&W K Frame holster for the appropriate barrel length.  Most will let you do that.

• Like 1

I have 3 of these revolvers, 1 SS, 1 blue in 357.38Spl , and another SS 38Spl only.  This is my EDC, and has been for 5 years. Diabetic neuropathy forced me back to revolvers. Nerve damage in my hands and wrist. The 38 Spl is a ultra light. I pocket carry and use a Desantsis Nemesis  pocket holster that I need to rip out the inside stitching and have my wife re-sow the inside stitching opening up the throat about 1/4".  Works well for pocket carry, but I have never found a good leather or IWB holster for the 617.  

How do you like the 617? I really like mine, and the 7 rounds are not bad. I can get by and not be made out to be carrying if I wear dark colored trousers. They print, a little, in lighter color trousers, but I have never been called on indiscrete carrying. 

If you find a leather holster, that is adequate, please let me know. 

• Like 1

Appreciate the input.  I was thinking a holster designed for a K frame S&W would more than likely work.  I'll have to try a few to see what works the best.

So far, I like it.  The trigger pull is surprisingly nice.  The only thing I might change is the grip.  May swap it out for something a touch larger.  With 38's, it feels fine but with full power .357 loads, it sometimes feels like it shifts in the hand too much during recoil and it affects the follow up shot....of course, it's a light weight .357 so there's going to be stout recoil.  Having a little more grip to wrap my hand around should help with that.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 12:42 PM, pop pop said:

I have 3 of these revolvers, 1 SS, 1 blue in 357.38Spl , and another SS 38Spl only.  This is my EDC, and has been for 5 years. Diabetic neuropathy forced me back to revolvers. Nerve damage in my hands and wrist. The 38 Spl is a ultra light. I pocket carry and use a Desantsis Nemesis  pocket holster that I need to rip out the inside stitching and have my wife re-sow the inside stitching opening up the throat about 1/4".  Works well for pocket carry, but I have never found a good leather or IWB holster for the 617.  

How do you like the 617? I really like mine, and the 7 rounds are not bad. I can get by and not be made out to be carrying if I wear dark colored trousers. They print, a little, in lighter color trousers, but I have never been called on indiscrete carrying. 

If you find a leather holster, that is adequate, please let me know. 

Found a pretty nice IWB holster for the Taurus 617.  It's a Don Hume.  Found it on Ebay.  With shipping it was $31 and some change.  It was made for a S&W 2 inch barrel K frame but the 617 fits in it perfectly.  Seems well made....good weight leather...nice stitching.....metal clip.  

thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

• Like 1