Why does taurus get such a bad rep?

RC3

All the tauruses I ever owned have been fantastic. In fact, I have been trying to hunt down another TP 809 and the damn things are impossible to find. And no one has the TH9 instock as well. Just trying to figure out why all the animosity towards the brand. 

I will never own one.  There are far too many other higher quality guns for me to lust after.  Call me a snob if you want but I simply have no interest in them.

BTW, I have only ever actually shot one.  Whatever their 9mm plastic compact offering was about 10 years ago.  Had to aim about a foot low to hit anything with it and just was cheap feeling.

All that being said, I have no problem with them or those that like them.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I will never own one.  There are far too many other higher quality guns for me to lust after.  Call me a snob if you want but I simply have no interest in them.

BTW, I have only ever actually shot one.  Whatever their 9mm plastic compact offering was about 10 years ago.  Had to aim about a foot low to hit anything with it and just was cheap feeling.

All that being said, I have no problem with them or those that like them.

I understand, I had their 1911, a pt 92 pt 99 and a 6in .357. All never gave me any issues and shot great. Was at academy one day and bought the pt 809 on a whim and it was great. I really want to try out the new TH9, but one has them in stock.

I have a 3 of their RF revolvers and they are a good value as long as you get good ones. There's the rub.... there are bad ones. And the Taurus customer service is some of the worst you will ever encounter.  One time I was to get a PT1911 shooting right for a guy from work. It had a barrel with an oval bore just forward the chamber. Looks like it was bent, THEN they machined it any way. It took over 4 months to get them to send out a what they called "new" was a reconditioned barrel. The owner was so ticked about this service of his brand new PT, he told me to go ahead and fit a Ed Brown barrel into the PT.  Even after I did that, I still called Taurus every 30 days to see what was up. They lie their asses off about shipping out replacement parts. So my advise is you search for the absolute best deal on Taurus guns because you are more or less on your own with fixing them if you get a bad one.

1 hour ago, RC3 said:

Just trying to figure out why all the animosity towards the brand. 

1 minute ago, peejman said:

Why?  Because they've made a few mistakes along the way.  The quality can be spotty along with their customer service.

I bought a new 24/7 Pro DS.  The trigger pull was super long, but the main issue was with feeding.  I experienced failures to feed (hanging on extractor) about 10% of the time with brass cased ammo (with both mags).  It fed steel cased ammo fine--the grooves on the steel cases is different.  I returned it.  I got it back in about two (2) weeks with an indication that it had been "adjusted".  I could tell the extractor had been filed. 

Then it only failed about 5% of the time.  I called, and they told me they had no problems with it using American Eagle ammo--I've never seen steel cased AE.  They begrudgingly paid for me to send it back again.  This time they "adjusted" it again and replaced the recoil spring assembly.  After that I was able to shoot about 400 rounds (mostly brass cased ammo) before it started experiencing failures again.

I decided to exchange it when the settlement agreement was finalized.  Taurus botched that for sure.  It took way too long.  They finally sent my replacement without any contact information, so it set at the FFL for weeks before I called to check on it.  I didn't like either choice I was offered.  I might have tried the Curve, but there is a major flaw.  If you short stroke the trigger, you have to rack it before the trigger will reset.  And, no sights...

That's why I'm now a Taurus skeptic (at least for their own semi-auto designs).  We'll see if I lighten my stance any once I shoot my replacement.

Ski, what did you choose as a replacement? Yep, being nosey. 

I have had, and still have a few Taurii. I've been blessed by the Taurus Godlings I suppose, as I've had only one problem ever, and that was with a Tracker 22/22mag revolver.

RC3, I might be able to help with that 809. I'll do some checking tomorrow.

Edited by hipower

I rented a Glock 22, M&P compact (.40 I think), and a Ruger SR9c.  I liked the trigger on the SR9c the best, but I was talked out of considering it.  The Sig P320 hadn't been out long, and I got to dry fire one--there wasn't one available to rent at that point.  I was strongly considering the P320 when Bud's had a good deal on some Police turn in M&Ps, so I ended up with a M&P40c.

The 3 Taurus revolvers I possess have been flawless. There was some problems with early 617, but that was corrected in later models. The tolerance was too tight and when they heated up the revolver would bind the cylinder rotation.  I have never owned a Taurus semi auto so I can't say anything about them.

Taurus has had a quality control problem, in the past, and I think that has tarnished their image with shooters. More so than other major brands, however they have had their stresses also as of late.  The only new guns I have purchased lately is 2 M P 9C 2.0 pistols and my first one has been good ones(400 rounds through it). I just recently purchased the second M P and haven't fired it yet. Waiting on warmer weather.   

My problem is the quality control. I hear it all the time "Mine has been flawless, all 100 rounds I've shot". Taurus to me is a true roll of the dice, if you get one that works they tend to work well but I just don't feel comfortable hoping I get a good gun. At our store we probably average 2 warranty returns a week I bet, hell had 4 in the safe a couple weeks back waiting to be sent off. I also think that there are plenty of good firearms just a tad over the price of a Taurus if you look around. I never thought I would be a big Glock fan but that's what I have become, All my handguns are Glock minus the one H&K. In the 6 years the store has been open we've never sent one Glock back for repair.

As has been said, you either don't need the warranty, or you really need the warranty.

My thought on Taurus guns is that I'd buy a .22 revolver if I could check it out in person, but none of their semi auto pistols. Sometimes I think about a .357 or .44 mag if I could find a good price on a non-ported one, but I've been successful talking myself out of that so far.

I am not experienced enough to say a lot but here is my experience.

THE GOOD - I have a TAURUS Millennium G2 (bought 2016) that has been good (estimate 750 or so rounds). Trigger pull is long single or double action, reset is short single action ( Like fact it is either S or D). Trigger pull is pretty smooth (better after I removed firing pin and cleaned it up). Originally, some failures as of last couple years - no failures. I don't target shoot it much (consider it as accurate as my ability - I do better with the SR22 when target shooting). Mostly my practice is simulated defense (draw, rack, point, shoot - a bit more aim after first shots).  Anyway, for $189 I am satisfied.

THE BAD - To date the Taurus Spectrum I did a trade deal on DEC 22, 2018 is not good. (Price was good at $169.99, then a $35 Rebate). Taurus took it back for 'repairs on Jan 4' (free shipping for me) and it arrived there Jan 4 with estimated return within 12 weeks. So, far status shows received - no repairs done or started.

Basically, it was a FAIL TO FIRE (double action, so used repeated pulls to fire a round -- say on a MAG 2 to 5 rounds required more than one pull, rest fire on first pull). I did get one MAG to fire all but the last round with one trigger pull.  

That was with two shoots: The first was 26 rounds. I had cleaned and lubed before first shoot, did some more cleaning and polished feed ramp a bit (also had one Fail to Feed first shoot).  Next trip to range was same deal with 26 rounds (Fail To Fire and one Fail To Feed). 

That is when I called Taurus and they took it back. 

The likes and dislikes about the Spectrum (my opinions):

LIKES, it feels good in hand for a mini semi, I like the double action only for carry as can safely keep one in the chamber so have 7 or 8 depending on which MAG, small for pocket carry, it is a nice looking gun, it's accurate considering my ability despite a scratch trigger take up, reasonable at $169.99 (then was $35 Rebate). 

DISLIKES, F to Fire and F to Feed mentioned above of course, scratchy trigger take up, and I am not much on 380s (ammo more expensive that 9MM so limits practice), difficult to remove firing pin for cleaning or polishing, I think the firing pin mechanism is the cause of scratchy trigger take up and maybe reduces the strike on the primer (light strikes -  F To Fire). .

NOTE:  I have a Topic I started on this gun with details about the problems if interested but above pretty well covers it. Added comment about why I ended up with it when not crazy about a 380 anyway (dumb maybe).      

Don't have a dog in this fight, so that's what my opinion is worth.

Agree with the previous post on warranty, don't need it or really need it.

It appears a great warranty, but poor turn times which add to customer frustration.

Results are the folks with issues get really loud on the internet.

Folks with solid guns don't post much for fear of being ridiculed for buying one.

If I was looking at budget friendly handguns, for a few bucks more, I'd probably revisit Ruger

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Fourtyfive said:

Friends don’t let friends buy Taurus’s.....

Your are right, the ford taurus sucks.

Anyways, it still find it weird that after 500 rounds on my pt 92 pt 99 and the previous pt 809, I did not have any issues. I guess I have been lucky so far. I was just looking for a cheap range toy and its sold out everywhere. But all the gunshops badmouth taurus anything.

IMaybe 30 years ago, I bought a 6" 357 Magnum Taurus at an auction for a song. I wasn't familiar with h the brand, but the fit and finish were of fine quality, and the action was a smooth as butter.

Recently, my father brought by a stainless Taurus 92 Beretta copy he'd acquired somewhere. Same thing. If I had it, I wouldn't trade it for a Beretta. It is awesome.

That being said, every other Taurus I've inspected seemed to be cheap junk. What would your overall opinion of the company be?

This is probably a sore spot for a lot of gun owners:

2. WHAT IS THIS LAWSUIT ABOUT?

Answer:

This lawsuit is about alleged safety defects in the following Taurus-branded firearms: PT-111 Millennium; PT-132 Millennium; PT-138 Millennium; PT-140 Millennium; PT-145 Millennium; PT-745 Millennium; PT-609; PT-640; and/or PT-24/7. The “PRO” series of each model are also included. The lawsuit asserts that these alleged safety defects may cause some Class Pistols to unintentionally fire with the safety in the “on” or “safe” position when the trigger is pulled and some Class Pistols may unintentionally fire when dropped or bumped. The Taurus Companies stand by the Class Pistols and vigorously deny all allegations of wrongdoing and liability. The lawsuit does not involve Taurus G2 model pistols.

http://www.tauruscartersettlement.com/home/faqs/#q2

People have died as a result of this malfunction. Guns going bang with the safety on doesn't do great things for your brand.

The main incident as I read it involved the guy slamming the mag in against resistance while walking with it pointed at his family on the couch. Not 100% the guns fault there. Also he had just disassembled and reassembled it. So not sure everything was ou back right. 

I have a G1 Pt111. I bought it used and fairly rough. Never has given me an issue. I don't carry it, but I would not feel un-safe doing it. 

Guns are like electronics, every maker has lemons. Some have a higher percentage. Lower cost guns often fall into the larger percentage because the more labor (including QA) you use, the more it costs to make them. That does not mean they have streamlined costs to save in other areas. Take Hi-point for instance. They have stayed with the same models for how long. That is because R&D, retooling, and retraining costs lots of money. That is one way they make a street price $150 ugly, but decent gun.

In the end someone will always rag on the lower priced stuff. My PT-92 was manufactured on the same machines as the Beretta 92 units made for the Brazilian army though. 

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, btq96r said:

I consider Taurus revolvers on a different plane of existence than their semi-auto pistols with the former being worth my time, and the latter not so much.  That goes for both functionally and aesthetics.

I have some Taurus revolvers and they are fantastic guns. Never owned a semi from them. 

I have two taurii at the moment and like them both.  One is the PT111 Millennium G2 and the other is a Tracker 627 .357 mag with the ported barrel.  This is the second PT111 G2 I've had and other than the extra mags being somewhat expensive and a holster being hard to find for them, I've had zero issues with either of them.  I suspect the holster issue isn't really an issue anymore.  I just haven't looked for one lately.

I have a slim nine that I've carried for years. Digests whatever I load and never fails to go bang when I pull the trigger. It had the best trigger than the Ruger and Keltec that were in the same shop. Being a pocket pistol for the price I don't worry about the finish but that's held up too. For a small gun in my large hands I don't expect much in the was of accuracy with it being more of a "belly gun" so to speak.

I had a Taurus 22 revolver that was a piece of :poop: I bought it for my wife only to find out the trigger was so stiff that she could only pull it a coupe of times in a row. I tried polishing the bearing surfaces and clipping a coil but it was still too stiff. I ended up getting her a S&W .38 special.