Budget AR build * update......

I have mentioned them before and keep wanting to order but haven't yet. 22mods4all has some great kit prices that just need a stripped lower to complete. 

Here is an example at $209. So if you say $50 for a lower, it is still in a great price range for not having to search out parts. (EDIT) I FORGOT TO ADD YOU STILL NEED A BCG. $79 is their cheapest. 

https://22mods4all.com/sa16-operator-alpha-series-16-1-8-parkerized-carbine-builder-kit-with-alpha-stock-kit-10-keymod-gen2-handguard/

Edited by Ronald_55
Bcg
16 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

These truly are “the good ol’ days” with regards to firearms. I hope all of y’all are taking advantage of them. 

So much this....if you dont get the fun gun you want and tons of ammo now dont you dare come whining when the next panic hits and you cant afford to shoot.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

Freaking rabbit hole got me......

I free floated the 223 upper with a $12 eBay M-lok fore end, switched out the scope for a slightly more versatile Barska Euro 30 3-9. Added a cheap drop in trigger which I stripped apart & did a little stone & polish work. Those 2 things alone shrank my group sizes from 4" average to sub 1"

I also picked up a real deal on a 300blk upper (sub $200, no bolt or carrier) & installed a Leopold Mk Freedom 1.5-4 (thanks @Wade195) Still working up supersonic loads for that, but it's showing a ton of promise.

I'm now running right at $700, for everything! I still consider this to be one of my better bargain buys!

20190402_205127.jpg

Edited by robtattoo
  • Like 3
32 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

110gr TTSX in the 300 is a great hog round.  300BLK got all the press for heavy subsonics, but I’m convinced that supers is really where it shines.  

I have some 62 gr TTSX in 224 that I'm anxious to try out. Not much of a hog round, but should pack some punch for 223. Now, those 300 grain TTSX in my 458 SOCOM rounds should slap a Hog. I have another box of them to load somewhere.

So far, only supers in my 300 blk. 110's and 126's

Edited by mikegideon
  • Admin Team
9 hours ago, mikegideon said:

I have some 62 gr TTSX in 224 that I'm anxious to try out. Not much of a hog round, but should pack some punch for 223. Now, those 300 grain TTSX in my 458 SOCOM rounds should slap a Hog. I have another box of them to load somewhere.

So far, only supers in my 300 blk. 110's and 126's

The 300gr works great in the SOCOM.  They’ll stop a hog in its tracks. 

I'm still waiting my order of black tips to come in, but I've been working up loads with 110 Hornady & Sierra bullets. The Sierra's are just cheap barrel break fodder, but I've found that if they're accurate in a rifle, it'll usually shoot anything well.

I picked up a couple of hundred Hornady blems & they have the same bearing surface length (within a couple thou, anyway) as the Tac-TXs so I'm hoping I can do development & sighting work with those, then just bang off a couple of the high dollar Barnes for verification.