Tn. Lottery winners

xsubsailor

I ran into bigun early last week in front of the little neighborhood grocery in Munford that sold that $500+ Million lottery ticket last year.  We got to talking about the lottery which jogged my feeble memory of something I intended to do last year but kept putting it off.

I sent the following to my House Rep. In Nashville. There was more to it, samples of reasons and such but this was the meat of it. Maybe if this is brought up by House Reps. and State Senators from all over the state it could get done. I can’t think of one single reason why anyone would be against it except for those who are anti-lottery.

I’m writing to request legislation be passed that would allow lottery winners in our state to remain anonymous. There are currently seven states that allow winners to remain anonymous if they desire and I believe Tennessee should be added to that group.

I’m sure this could be passed by our representatives and Governor, which would be the easiest way, but if placed on the ballot of a general election I believe it would be approved by at least 95% of the voters.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, xsubsailor said:

I ran into bigun early last week in front of the little neighborhood grocery in Munford that sold that $500+ Million lottery ticket last year.  We got to talking about the lottery which jogged my feeble memory of something I intended to do last year but kept putting it off.

I sent the following to my House Rep. In Nashville. There was more to it, samples of reasons and such but this was the meat of it. Maybe if this is brought up by House Reps. and State Senators from all over the state it could get done. I can’t think of one single reason why anyone would be against it except for those who are anti-lottery.

I’m writing to request legislation be passed that would allow lottery winners in our state to remain anonymous. There are currently seven states that allow winners to remain anonymous if they desire and I believe Tennessee should be added to that group.

I’m sure this could be passed by our representatives and Governor, which would be the easiest way, but if placed on the ballot of a general election I believe it would be approved by at least 95% of the voters.

I agree.

2 hours ago, bigun said:

Yes. Because the couple that won the 500 Plus wanted to stay here. They were happy in their home and loved this little town. But within 2 or 3 weeks they were hounded so bad by people day and night they had to move.

Edited by beebee233

Honestly....i'll publicly carry the burden if I hit it big...I sale cars for a living im good at saying "no" lol.

Seriously though I have never realistically considered this to be much of a likelihood for it to be a problem of mine.

Also you could always create some oddly named trust and set it as the winner if im not mistaken.

16 minutes ago, peejman said:

Isn't the way to remain anonymous to not sign the ticket, create a trust, and have the trust accept the award?  

That is against the rules of most lotteries unless specified by law.  One of the most recent large wins had that rule.  The lady that won tried to sue the lottery to stay anonymous.  Not sure if she won or not.  The lottery had a rule that only a person could accept the award, not a trust.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, peejman said:

Isn't the way to remain anonymous to not sign the ticket, create a trust, and have the trust accept the award?  

Or ...don't sign the ticket,  tell a bunch of people,  and let whoever buries you in a shallow grave accept it. LoL

• Haha 1