Air Rifles

owejia

I am big time into Air Rifles. I used to use them all the time in the UK. Great for learning how to stalk as you need to get up close.

I used both Daystate and RWS brands. If there is anything done better in Eurooe, it's the manufacturing of Air Rifles! I'd only use those 2 brands. In .177, I love Air Rifle shooting.

I should add though that rifles in the UK are limited I'm power, but I do believe if you are ordering into the US you can have that limitation removed.

Edited by ShaggyRS6

My daughter shoots them competitively, so I am might be biased. At current she owns a Daisy Match Grade BB gun but we have been looking at buying her an Airforce or Crosman, both of which cost more than her Savage(s), she does shoot LH which adds to the cost. She has used Club Guns for a few years, but in the last year we (I) have invested in a Target .22LR, Sport .22LR and BB. We are lacking only in Air Sport and Target. While the only difference is in sights, it would realistically require two new guns. As such the Air Force guns are winning, in competition too. ;)

Edited by Murgatroy
14 hours ago, 1fast4by said:

Trades accuracy for fun factor from what Ive seen, and between 350fps - 450fps depending on BB weight.

Pretty much what I've seen and read on them as well. Thinking it might be good for running off crows and the like, maybe a little backyard fun.

And of course scare the neighbors with the AR look of it. lol

Seriously though, with it's looks and style, I'd be tempted to add some color to it and hopefully avoid issues. I live in a very "progressive" neighborhood.

I have a Crossman Vantage and the trigger is bad. Understand that I'm not a high end 1.5lb trigger snob... most of my milsurps have stock triggers and I'm fine with that. On the other hand, this Crossman poor. Like Red Ryder poor. 

Any suggestions?

Edited by peejman
43 minutes ago, hipower said:

I live in a very "progressive" neighborhood.

In that case I'd throw a faux can on it to really ruffle feathers.... lol

"Hes over there shooting his fully silenced fully automatic assault machine gun!"

-your neighbors probably

Edited by 1fast4by
  • Like 2
17 minutes ago, joe4vol said:

Isn’t it legal to have a suppressor on an air rifle?

Well, they arent firearms, so there are little to no restrictions on them

But I dont think there would be much benefit... There are no explosions happening to propel the projectile..

Edited by 1fast4by
9 minutes ago, 1fast4by said:

But I dont think there would be much benefit... There are no explosions happening to propel the projectile..

Actually, they do benefit the air rifle as some are quite noisy without it.  I have a .177 air rifle that is almost as loud as a .22 firearm, I am definitely interested in getting a rifle with built in silencer to be able to dispatch pesky squirrels without letting the rest know.

Edited by Omega
speeling
  • Like 1

I recently picked up a cheap Hatsan vortex edge in .22 for $100 on Amazon to keep the squirrels out of my attic.

I'm happy with it for what I paid. Its made in Turkey and the barrel is supposedly made from German steel instead of the Chinese pot metal.

It's not a tack driver and the trigger was stiff even after I adjusted it but I bagged 6 tree rats the first day out of the box with the "iron sights" from about 20 yards with a 16gr. Pellet traveling around 800 fps.

After the damage they were creating, I feel it paid for itself and my little Mountain Cur feels he finally has a purpose in his back yard.

It was pretty loud when I first got it but after about 300 pellets through it, it is considerably more quiet.

My neighbors aren't right on top of me and I do have a privacy fence but I have asked them if it bothered them and they never knew I was shooting it.

Edited by jct231

Those Hatsan air rifles have some nice Turkish walnut stocks. Have some pesky squirrels that have tried to eat their way into my 8'x 12' shooting shack, thinking about getting an air rifle to use on them. Would bait them and then eliminate as needed. There are a boat load of brands and models to choose from. Still researching them. Some of the larger calibers are pretty awesome with the ft lbs of energy from the big pellets. Would prefer one with a magazine with several shots instead of a single shot, maybe an underleaver model. Can even buy moulds to cast your own pellets now.

1 hour ago, owejia said:

Those Hatsan air rifles have some nice Turkish walnut stocks. Have some pesky squirrels that have tried to eat their way into my 8'x 12' shooting shack, thinking about getting an air rifle to use on them. Would bait them and then eliminate as needed. There are a boat load of brands and models to choose from. Still researching them. Some of the larger calibers are pretty awesome with the ft lbs of energy from the big pellets. Would prefer one with a magazine with several shots instead of a single shot, maybe an underleaver model. Can even buy moulds to cast your own pellets now.

I did the same, researched Air gun forums for weeks until it gave me a headache! lol The reason I descided on the Hatsan vortex edge is its was a no frills rifle without the wooden stock but still had the gas cylinder instead of the spring and iron sights to get me through the break in period.

Break barrel Air rifles are notorious for being scope killers because of the violent double recoil.

I have since bought a UTG scope with eatched glass ( because of the recoil) and it has worked great for me after a few hundred rounds.

Holds zero perfectly, clear glass, 3x12 zoom with a 10 yard to infinity parralex... it was more than the rifle at $150 but a drop in the bucket compared to bigger name brand Air rifle rated scopes like Hawke and the quality is still top notch and built like a tank! More than good enough to do double duty on my AR as well.

Pcp rifles are very cool with being semi auto, for a few shots until you have to pump it up again or change out the tank, and mags and all but it takes all of 5 seconds to fire, reload, and be back on target with the break barrel. 

I went with a tool over a toy....at this time.😁

Edited by jct231
15 hours ago, 1fast4by said:

Yes and no, many of them can break the sound barrier, which means that a suppressor can quiet the supersonic crack.

16 hours ago, peejman said:

I have a Crossman Vantage and the trigger is bad. Understand that I'm not a high end 1.5lb trigger snob... most of my milsurps have stock triggers and I'm fine with that. On the other hand, this Crossman poor. Like Red Ryder poor. 

Any suggestions?

Price for price anything Daisy Avanti line is good. My daughter uses and has brought home a few trophies with Daisy Avanti BB gun. We are after accuracy though. Airforce makes some nice stuff too, and it is really popular in competition.