Loading 45/70

Has anyone here loaded 45/70? I'm trying, but my shoulder is giving out. I'm shooting a Marlin 1895. I'm loading star brass with Speer 300gr HP's, 55grs of Varget. According to Lyman's book top load for Varget is 63grs. I've got a 12" gong at 165 yards that I'm using for a target. I've got it set on two chains from a saw horse. When I hit it, it almost spins all the way around. The rifle has almost dislocated my shoulder. Even after I put a recoil pad on it. No signs of pressure, except my busted arm. Any suggestions?

Try 10-12 gn of Unique under that 300gn bullet.

You'll need a little puff of dacron to hold it in place, but it'll feel like a .45 colt.

12gn of Trailboss under the same bullet (no filler needed) will feel like a .45 Schofield!

Edited by robtattoo
  • Like 2

I have a Browning Model 1886 in .45-70 and do reload for it. While the rifle can handle the heavier loads, I can't. :rolleyes: So I keep it at Trapdoor levels. Honestly, I don't shoot this rifle a lot and haven't done a lot of experimentation on loads. The loads I have worked up do have a bit of a thump to 'em, but I don't have any trouble shooting them. They are also quite accurate out of my rifle and these are my actual chronographed velocities.

350 gr hard cast LFP - 31.0 grs H4198 - 1262 fps

405 gr hard cast LFP - 29.0 grs IMR4198 - 1237 fps

405 gr Remington JSP - 31.0 grs IMR 4198 - 1268 fps 

As always, reduce by 10% and work your way up. 

I mean, your only other real recourse would be specialty, ultralight 'shirt button' bullets.

I have no experience with them, but a couple of the older guys on the Marlin Owner's forum seem to like them. I don't even know where you'd order them from, all I know is that they're available. Give it a googling, see what you think.

1 hour ago, robtattoo said:

Not to sound inflammatory, but honestly, if you're that sensitive to the recoil, maybe a .45-70 isn't for you.

Sorry man.

After rereading my posts I can see where you might think that way. But when the muzzle goes up 16"-18" it's time to think about what's going on.