Good Farm/Family Dog

ReeferMac

22 hours ago, tacops said:

You just described a several of mine to a tee.  My current Boxer is 13 and still going.  I am getting a new Boxer pup at the end of the month. Mine were Leroy, Baron, Chief, Buster, Sport, Bo, Rebel and I have not decided on the name for the new pup.  

Something else I recall about Chief. He rarely ventured away from the homestead. Pop had a couple hundred acres of pasture/woods/wetland and it all came up close to the house on three sides. The house sat on an acre or two, and that was Chief's turf. Don't think I ever saw him go through the fence into the pasture or cross the highway out front.

2 hours ago, abusfullofnuns said:

Adam is a friend of mine. I used to go to training from Nashville all the time. Who are the parents?

Apollo was the father... gosh I can't remember the Mom, one of his drug-dogs. One of this guy's brother's will be working to keep Athen's (TN) safe in a few years.

Apollo is a good dog. I’d take a pup from him and I’m pretty picky these days. I lucked into the dog I have now, and was connected to the breeder/trainer through Adam. I’ve learned a lot since then and and have been around some extremely high end imports here in Middle TN. I’d still take an Apollo offspring for sure.

Good luck with the basics and stay focused. I’m jealous and sure wish I had another pup to train.  Mine spent the first 5-6 months with the breeder, and all the puppy stuff was down for me.  Once I got him and started training, I was obsessed for the first year and a half. It paid off in spades. I had thought I had good dogs in the past, but didn’t realize what was possible with a dog of the caliber such as these. Put in the time now and be consistent.

The only other tip that I would give is to involve the whole family in the training. I did not and suffered due to that mistake. I have had complete control and impressive obedience for quite some time, but when I was out of town the wife and kids would have small issues. Not getting in the crate on demand or chewing up something like a pen or a small piece of plastic. I would hear about these things happening and it would blow my mind because he would never do something that out of line when I’m around.  My 8yo daughter has always been second in charge, but still did not have complete obedience. We just recently fixed that problem but it’s been three years. If your family doesn’t participate and assert a dominant role, they will have trouble with being in control. 

Oh yeah, pony up for one of the crates that Adam will likely recommend. They don’t sell crates at a big box store that will contain the full grown monster that you’re raising. 

Edited by abusfullofnuns

I could have went to a breeder and got a pup but except for Beagles back when I rabbit hunted I have always had mutts and I have a real soft spot in my heart for rescue dogs. Many of them get adopted as puppies and grow un in a family and then as the kids grow and go to school and parents work the dogs usually wind up either at a Rescue center or dumped out on some country road and the poor dog is totally lost. That was the case with Darby, A young couple adopted her as a puppy and had he for 5 years and I can tell that they spent quite a bit of time teaching tricks and playing fetch and many other things I am still learning abut her. but then came a real baby and Darby was no longer the baby and she was jealous and showed it by growling at the baby under her breath but enough for them to hear it and she was put up for adoption at the Sumner County Sheriff Rescue Center. I went there looking for a dog but they didn't have anything that just grabbed me so I came back home and got on line looking for other Rescue centers near by. Found one called Hairy Moose about 10 miles from my house. When I brought Darby home I went and stopped by the Sheriff's Rescue center to show the lady what I was taking home and before I could say anything she called to Darby by name. I found out that she had Darby at her center for 3 months and could not get her adopted out so moved her to the Hairy Moose to see if they could find her a home because they have more traffic of people looking for a dog and Darby had been there and was running out of time before they would put her down when I got her. I asked the lady if she knew the history behind her and she was able to tell me everything right up to the food she was fed growing up. Funny how things happen sometimes.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 5:59 PM, ReeferMac said:

Well, Dante joined the family on Sunday! We start training with him in a few weeks. Great little guy... now if he would just learn to go to the bathroom outside. 😣

Dante - Clean.jpg

I think your going to be very happy with your choice. Back years ago I had a dog trainer show me how to read a dogs facial expressions and you can get a pretty good impression of the dogs personality. Your pups facial expression is one that shows content and is attentive and will be a smart dog and train well. He's a beauty for sure and your going to have a great dog in my opinion. Oh yea, going out side to go potty will happen. It will just take a little time. Until then you may try paper training him.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

You can never go wrong with a rescue. My road puppy Kai, is the best guard dog I have ever seen in my life and we have no idea what she is other than a mutt. We found her on the dirt one lane road heading to the dump one day. We also have an 11 month old Rottweiler that I got Monkey for his birthday. 110 lbs and still growing. The loudest farter/snorer but a massive beast no one would want to be on the wrong end of. Little do they know he sleeps on his back and loves belly rubs.

Dante is adorable, but if you are in the market again, check out aarf-tn.com, it is the rescue group I work with and foster for. They have amazing dogs of all breeds. 

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, MrsMonkeyMan2500 said:

You can never go wrong with a rescue. My road puppy Kai, is the best guard dog I have ever seen in my life and we have no idea what she is other than a mutt. We found her on the dirt one lane road heading to the dump one day. We also have an 11 month old Rottweiler that I got Monkey for his birthday. 110 lbs and still growing. The loudest farter/snorer but a massive beast no one would want to be on the wrong end of. Little do they know he sleeps on his back and loves belly rubs.

Dante is adorable, but if you are in the market again, check out aarf-tn.com, it is the rescue group I work with and foster for. They have amazing dogs of all breeds. 

About time you poked your head back in instead of playing on Facebook all day.

A Dog thread!!

Good for you and good luck with your new best friend!

I had a Doberman for 13 years that passed 5 years ago. I didn’t think I wanted to go through that loss again; but about a year ago we got another.

Mine are house dogs and I missed that security. But I would never have a dog trained to bite (too much liability); dealing with intruders is my job. His job is to let me know something is going on that needs my attention.

House breaking him shouldn’t be hard, just take him out all the time. Teaching him not to eat the pillows might be harder.

Harley

zsIRbnE.jpg

Max

B6jot5t.jpg

And here is 20 reasons some people may never want a Doberman....

https://www.pawmygosh.co/20-reasons-dobermans/

Edited by DaveTN
  • Like 2

Boxer is the way to go.  I am on my third one.  They are great with  kids.  Easy to train.  Will be on watch 24/7.  I cut the ears on my boxers.  I like the old school  look.  It also  makes them look mean.  My current  one is a inside/outside dog.  All ways  by my side.  

14 hours ago, DaveTN said:

A Dog thread!!

Good for you and good luck with your new best friend!

I had a Doberman for 13 years that passed 5 years ago. I didn’t think I wanted to go through that loss again; but about a year ago we got another.

Mine are house dogs and I missed that security. But I would never have a dog trained to bite (too much liability); dealing with intruders is my job. His job is to let me know something is going on that needs my attention.

House breaking him shouldn’t be hard, just take him out all the time. Teaching him not to eat the pillows might be harder.

Harley

zsIRbnE.jpg

Max

B6jot5t.jpg

And here is 20 reasons some people may never want a Doberman....

https://www.pawmygosh.co/20-reasons-dobermans/

Most knowledgeable trainers would argue that a canine that’s trained to bite is far less likely to bite out of fear/reaction than an untrained canine. These dogs know when, why, and how to bite. There’s no chance of getting mine to bite without an act of aggression. There’s definitely a chance that a canine doesn’t do well with the work and may not have the head for it, and it’s up to a responsible owner/trainer to decide what the dog is capable of learning. They are also taught to bite and hold instead of chewing and ripping. 

I couldn’t stand letting @ReeferMac having the only puppy. My next monster came home Sunday. 

69694984-806E-4316-9120-6469EF532584.jpeg

• Like 2

I have a Flat coated Retriever, Rhett, on a farm with my family. He meets all the requirements that you mentioned. The key for us is that dirt and water shed itself off his body which helps us keep the house clean. Just don’t let the Flat coat around anything with feathers. We have a 3 year old and He pretty much has done everything to Rhett that would make a dog want to bite a kid and he hasn’t. Rhett will die to protect pur family and thinks its his job to answer the door and spends most his time staring out the window. He is loyal and senses danger or bad characters and gets pretty scary when someone approaches that isn’t friendly. 

We’ve had german shepherds and the begians but they killed the sheep and goat. We didn’t work with them enough giving mental and physical training and they got anxious and bored. 

04374692-F3DB-4A4F-ACB0-CA54CC93768F.jpeg

• Like 2