10-Ring

for-trade Lee reloading stand, flood sale

My basement flooded Wednesday night.  This new in the box reloading stand got a little wet.  I just don't need it and don't really want to take the time to unbox it and put it together.  My loss is your gain.  $100 obo trade for?  In Lebanon TN but travel southern middle TN reguarly. 

IMG_20190208_124911.jpg

My sympathies to you, 10-ring. We have been thru this twice now. It can be costly and heartbreaking. I've lost a lot of personal items during those times, but wife, and dog, Molly, safe each time. House damage each time, but repairable.

We came close this time. I watched the water in the creek beside us rise from 4 until 10:30 before bugging out. Already had move vehicles and had bags packed up. Only takes two times for me to learn. lol

That creek is almost always dry, and is nothing more than a runoff channel these days. And since we are in a low spot, I watch very closely. When it overflowed the regular confines...that was enough.

Stayed overnight with inlaws and came back Thursday morning about 5AM. All good.

Wishes for an easy cleanup and small loses.

2 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

Thanks guys.  Damage was minimal. Lost probably less than $500 of stuff.  I did have about 4" of water in my safe, but I think I caught it before it damaged anything.  It's just been a pain to clean everything up.  

Water will ruin the fire rating of a safe. A friend of mine has  Browning Bronze like mine. He got water from the big flood. The safe still worked as a safe. But, Browning said the fire rating was kaput.

16 hours ago, mikegideon said:

Water will ruin the fire rating of a safe. A friend of mine has  Browning Bronze like mine. He got water from the big flood. The safe still worked as a safe. But, Browning said the fire rating was kaput.

Makes sense seeing as how sheetrock is what is used to protect the contents and water would compromise the sheetrock.  Going to have to suck that one up I suppose.  Frankly, I was surprised that the safe wasn't watertight.  This will be a great excuse, if I ever upgrade, to not have it in the basement.  However, much of the decision to put it where it is stemmed from having it in a location where the fewest amount of people would be aware of its existence.  

I have plenty of room upstairs, it's just that I prefer it to not be seen and known about by everyone who comes into my house.  Had a huge walk in bedroom closet at my old house, and that's where the safe lived.  That was ideal.  

You can mount it on a anchored 4-6” riser of hardwood,steel  if water level don’t get that high.  The 3/4” Sheetrock makes it a fire wall,and the hole in the back for cord can be silicone shut or a 1/2”conduit hole plug and redrill up top for power cord.

Mike

9 hours ago, 10-Ring said:

Makes sense seeing as how sheetrock is what is used to protect the contents and water would compromise the sheetrock.  Going to have to suck that one up I suppose.  Frankly, I was surprised that the safe wasn't watertight.  This will be a great excuse, if I ever upgrade, to not have it in the basement.  However, much of the decision to put it where it is stemmed from having it in a location where the fewest amount of people would be aware of its existence.  

I have plenty of room upstairs, it's just that I prefer it to not be seen and known about by everyone who comes into my house.  Had a huge walk in bedroom closet at my old house, and that's where the safe lived.  That was ideal.  

Also less likely to see an intense fire. AFIK, none of them are airtight. I assume to prevent condensation. It's why the have the expanding fire seal. They get airtight at a certain temperature.

• Like 1