Revolver suggestions

CBOW

Hey everyone. I am needing a recommendation for a 4” revolver. I am looking to buy my wife one for her birthday. Her favorite gun to shoot is my Dan Wesson model 15 short barrel but I think she will really like something longer.  I had a smith model 19 that I liked but would like something 357 capable, she likes heavier guns and stainless. Should I be looking at the 686 or GP100 only? What are your thoughts? Under 1000 price range 

5 hours ago, TripleGGG said:

Take her and let her pick one out. Don't pick for her. 

This is sage advice! The "feel" is very subjective to each of us.

I love "K" frame Smith's, but that's me. I have a 686 I purchased in 1986, it was my first "carry" gun. The GP 100 is a tank, but a great gun as well.

But a great thing about revolvers is the multitude of grip options available, especially for Smith's.

I see you're in Knoxville. Point Blank has a good variety of revolvers and she can get some hands on there and shoot any of them she has an interest in. Great folks there! Very personable.

Good luck with your search. Keep us posted.

link: https://shootpointblank.com/shoot-point-blank-knoxville-tennessee

Edited by Jamie Jackson

I assume this is for a range gun or home protection. You can order a new 686 for about $650 plus a transfer. A Model 66 is a stainless Model 19, but you will pay a premium for it or a 686 pre-lock. For a range/ home defense gun I’d just get a new one.

Ruger , Smith & Wesson, Dan Wesson, so many to choose from. Your wife needs to find one that "fits" her hand and her eye, as the others have suggested let her do the choosing, would be my advise. The 327 Fed crtge is one you might look at also.

• Moderators

Try also to let her pick and choose without a bunch of input from you about caliber size, this guns better, etc etc etc. (speaking from experience). A lady at Fugates (where we did our HCP class) in Athens took over and did a great job with my wife. I saw first hand how wrong I had been in trying to "help". If she gets what she likes and is comfortable its amazing how much fun gun time can be together. Now she wants more guns and has branched out. Getting to make her choice (not what I thought was best for her) made all the difference. 

Edited by TripleGGG
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, 1gewehr said:

How about a 4 or 6" barrel for the Dan Wesson?  You do know that you can change them?

Unless he has a fixed barrel config... yep those exist. And it sounds like he would have to give up his gun if he did that. 

@CBOW is the Dan Wesson blue or stainless?