Best cleaning tools?

The only thing I can swear by is a one-piece coated cleaning rod and Hoppe’s #9 with cheapest bronze brushes from WM.  Q-Tips are an indispensable must, along with an old toothbrush.  Pipe cleaners are very handy as well.

One thing I can assure of is every person is probably going to give a different opinion.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 8
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

The only thing I can swear by is a one-piece coated cleaning rod and Hoppe’s #9 with cheapest bronze brushes from WM.  Q-Tips are an indispensable must, along with an old toothbrush.  Pipe cleaners are very handy as well.

One thing I can assure of is every person is probably going to give a different opinion.

Not me. I'm right there with you. I despise jointed cleaning rods. I'd only add some copper solvent and a bottle of oil and you have it pretty much covered. A brush is a brush and a jag is a jag.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

I’m with you on this.  

The indispensable part of my kit in recent years is some Norton’s Universal Cleaning Sticks from County Comm.  

https://countycomm.com/products/nortons-u-c-s-universal-cleaning-stick?variant=27918689798

Funny thing is, I had no idea I needed them until they threw a couple in with an order.  Now I use them for all kinds of stuff and have bought dozens for folks.  

• Like 1

IDK, I've been using a standard military cleaning kit for some time.  I have a gamut of solvents and lubes, don't really have a favorite, they all seem to work ok, but I'm not in extreme weather/environments anymore.  I do have a couple bore snakes, which work good for an expedient bore cleaning, but that is only when I don't want/need the cleaning rod.  Now for my pellet rifle, I did get a one piece rod, the military one wouldn't fit the .177 bore.

16 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I’m with you on this.  

The indispensable part of my kit in recent years is some Norton’s Universal Cleaning Sticks from County Comm.  

https://countycomm.com/products/nortons-u-c-s-universal-cleaning-stick?variant=27918689798

Funny thing is, I had no idea I needed them until they threw a couple in with an order.  Now I use them for all kinds of stuff and have bought dozens for folks.  

Cool.  I can see how that would come in handy.

You can always go with the latest and greatest cleaning kits to come up the turn pike, I have found in the last 50 years of cleaning my guns, a good cleaning after shooting with an old type kit or a new type kit, it works out about the same. A good cleaning is a good cleaning.

• Like 1

This is anecdotal but anyway.....

My friend used to own a hardware store and I happened to see a product he was promoting up front called APC which stood for All Purpose Cleaner. 

I asked my friend, is this any good?

He responded, yes it's great. Come with me.

We went back to the aisle with all the other cleaners, and he said to me, see all these cleaners? They are great too. For something. But none of them are great at everything.

I just like hearing that story so I tell it a lot.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, beebee233 said:

This is anecdotal but anyway.....

My friend used to own a hardware store and I happened to see a product he was promoting up front called APC which stood for All Purpose Cleaner. 

I asked my friend, is this any good?

He responded, yes it's great. Come with me.

We went back to the aisle with all the other cleaners, and he said to me, see all these cleaners? They are great too. For something. But none of them are great at everything.

I just like hearing that story so I tell it a lot.

This goes back to my earlier comment.  

The tools are one thing, the cleaning  juices used in the process are an entirely different matter.  I’ve come to the conclusion no one knows what they’re talking about when it comes to that.

My Dad still swears by a lead sinker, nylon string, a piece of a t-shirt, and WD-40. Has used it at least my whole life.

I have tried and like Frog Lube. Seems to do a good job. I can't say I have tackled a really hard job with it, but most of my guns never get that bad. Plus, I have an aversion to the smell of light oil. No idea why. I can never get it off my hands. The Frog Lube smells minty. It is a much better option. 

I normally use a rod with patches, mops, and brass brushes. Wipe down the outside with an old shirt. 

Like several others I'm hooked on bore snakes for quick cleaning. I think I have all calibers covered that I own.

I made my own tool for cleaning the revolver cylinders. I bought the cotton screw on cleaning tips in all the revolver calibers I have and attached them to nylon wire clamps so I have a loop to stick my finger through when I use them. Makes for quick cleaning.

Of course a bunch of 6" q-tips for getting in hard to get spots.

11 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

I made my own tool for cleaning the revolver cylinders. I bought the cotton screw on cleaning tips in all the revolver calibers I have and attached them to nylon wire clamps so I have a loop to stick my finger through when I use them. Makes for quick cleaning.

Can we see pics please?

• 3 weeks later...

I have OCD when it comes to cleaning, I got literally everything, all the little gizmos and gadgets, I'm like a magpie, if its shiny I'll buy it!  With that said though, I use Ballistol and an Avid Bore Snake here for rifles and Ballistol and Copper Brush and patches for my pistols.

Once in a while I will do a deep clean of barrels etc with Shooters Choice MC #7 and when AR parts get too much carbon on them I will dunk them in Slip 2000 carbon killer.

Ballistol though for me is just the best.