Tell me about your favorite gunsmith

I have purchased a new bolt action .223 and went out of my way to get the heavy (varmint) barrel. It never occurred to me that it would not fit through the spindle bore of my lathe, and it is too long for me to do between centers or with a steady rest. It is a 20" barrel and I have a 9x20 lathe. So to make a short story long, I need someone to thread my barrel. I am in Ashland City, so Nashville, Clarksville and Springfield are my go to places. I know Guns and Leather has one, I just wanted to see who had a favorite.

Edited by gunwhatgun
1 hour ago, Hozzie said:

If I didn't have all my things in storage I would offer to do it.  In your area, I would probably go to Guns and Leather in Greenbriar. 

+1 for Jeff Walle.  If you want to talk directly with him call and confirm the days he's at the shop. It's the separate building to the right of the store.  Either way you'll have to check the work in through the store counter.  I've used him and was very pleased with his work. 

• Like 2

Shultz Precision Machine 2205 Boyds Creek Hwy, Sevierville, TN. 

Taken from the web site is following statement; 

This is business for the repair and modification of firearms only. The smallest jobs to complete precision rifle rebuilds. No Firearms are sold.  

Friend saw a sign at Jct of Boyds Creek Hwy and McLeary Rd.  The sign says something about Precision Rifles. Same friend found a Web Site and Facebook for Shultz Precision Machine. 

Other than what is on the Web Site and Facebook -- I know nothing about Schultz.  I would like to visit (supposedly opened a new shop late in 2018). I have not see the shop. 

I live about a mile from that sign on Boyds Creek and go to Boyds Creek via McClearry frequently and never saw the sign. However, I am always turning at the intersection onto Boyds Creek or off of Boyds Creek and watching traffic (my excuse for not observing the sign).  

Web Site and Facebook links -- for some reason I can not copy and paste these URL Addresses from my browser, but found out I can copy and paste into an E Mail and then copy and paste from an E Mail to put it here. CRAZY WEIRD THING. 

https://www.autoyas.com/US/Sevierville/603928659709962/Shultz-Precision-Machine

https://www.facebook.com/ShultzPrecisionMachine/

PS: Be interested to know if anyone knows anything about Shultz Precision Machine. 

Edited by PAULSHOOT
correct couple errors
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jackie Summers at Franklin County Gun Works in Winchester has always done me proud. From precision machining to lunch-break barrel shortening & re-crowning, transfers, action truing......he's my guy.

The shop is a little ummmm... Backwoodsy & he looks like he'd happily murder you, but he's the nicest, friendliest guy I know. His rates are good, his turnaround is quick & his work is stood behind. 

I won't go to anyone else for work I can't do myself.