LCPII : Is it a high mileage gun ?

tercel89

I have a Ruger LCPII and it's been great. I am wanting to know if it's a high mileage gun like some guns that go maybe 20,000 rds or so ? I reload and I am thinking about getting some dies to reload the .380ACP to shoot more with my LCP . I just didn't know if these guns are limited to a certain amount of rounds before they start wearing down .

I have an older lcp 1 and while I’m sure it would last 20k rounds I would worry about the barrrel and other moving parts at that point. The bigger question is who would want to put 20k rounds through one?  They are not fun guns to shoot. 

• Like 3

I don't know. But I think a person would be smart to be as proficient as possible with any emergency tool they choose to use.

I shoot the crap out of my J Frame and handload to be able to afford to do so. It's a niche tool, for NPE or as a secondary...but I am responsible for each round launched from it. So I applaud your desire to do this tercel.

Way back when, late '80's early 90's, I had an AMT .380 backup, handloaded for it, and shot the crap out of it.

Guns eventually wear out if shot enough. Why not own 2 of them? One for training/practice and one to carry if that's your chosen tool.

Just my $0.2 worth... :)

• Like 2

My goal in life is to wear out as many guns as possible.  I have literally worn out 3 shotguns.  Trying the same with pistols now.  I am a shooter, not a collector.  Good excuse to buy another gun and is a pretty good indicator that you have enjoyed a lot of range time with friends.

• Like 3

I shoot my LCP1 every time I go to the range, I probably have 2000 rounds through it total and I dont see any issues or odd wear that makes me think it wont last a very long time. But I dont ever put much more than a box through it at a time...Its no fun to shoot.

1 hour ago, tnhawk said:

The AMT 380 is the only gun I've had a problem with.  I would never want to depend on it.

I agree based on the quality handgun choices we now have available.

But in 1986 there weren't the same affordable options.

My primary handgun was a 4" 686. I occasionally carried a .44 Bulldog Pug. So the AMT Backup was a deep concealment option. I'm quite pleased with my Shield these days, but a pair of LCP's seem like a viable consideration. 

I only have an original LCP. I have no idea how many rounds have been through it, but I shoot it more than any other firearm I own. I've carried and shot it for years, and it has been 100% reliable. I suppose it will probably need new springs at some point, but I haven't detected any undue wear so far.

I paid $300 for it, and if it became inoperable today, I can replace it for $200. I feel it has already provided more than $300 worth of service.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 3

Same as several others....  I shoot my LCP1 enough to stay proficient and satisfy myself that it's working like it should, but that's about it. It's just not real fun to shoot, and it doesn't take a lot of practice for me to be minute of paper plate accurate at 7 yds.  I probably practice drawing it (pocket) as much or more than I shoot it  

The trigger is so different from my Shield that I don't want to develop habits that negatively affect how I shoot the Shield at 25 yds.  

Edited by peejman

At the risk of a minor drift, I subscribe to Claude Werner's "Tactical Professor" blog. A recent post mentioned that Ruger's LCP is one of the most prolific handguns currently being made. 

Quote: from "Revolvers are Passe"  " Production of the LCP as of Year End 2017 has been 2,272,204 pistols, making it one of the most popular pistols in America."

It's an interesting post and surprised me quite a bit. Worth a quick minute to read imho.

https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress.com/2019/02/12/revolvers-are-passe/

I think I need to get one and pull out my dies and start handloading a few .380 rounds. :)

Edited by Jamie Jackson
sp
  • Like 2
On 2/14/2019 at 7:58 AM, Jamie Jackson said:

I agree based on the quality handgun choices we now have available.

But in 1986 there weren't the same affordable options.

My primary handgun was a 4" 686. I occasionally carried a .44 Bulldog Pug. So the AMT Backup was a deep concealment option. I'm quite pleased with my Shield these days, but a pair of LCP's seem like a viable consideration. 

I prefer to carry my 9mm or 45acp Shield.  However there are times I continue to carry the LCP.

Thanks for the information guys. I think I'll continue to shoot it as I do now which is about 100 rds a month. just popping a few at a metal plate out back. I may just get some 380 dies to play around with some loads on rainy days. Thanks again guys for the information.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, tercel89 said:

They'd be perfect for my little single stage press while the kids are at school and the wife at work.

Your fingers are the problem. The press does it's job just fine. I wouldn't dare attempt to load 25 ACP. There's nothing to hold onto. I guess one could do it with tweezers.

• Like 1

FWIW, I have a first year of release LCP. Bought it at Specialty Arms and ended up with the laser package on it before I walked out the door.

Paid way, way too much for it, in comparison with todays pricing; but have to say it has been dependable. I used to run several mags thru it on each range trip. I really liked mine with some of the PRIV Partisan(?) loads. A little hotter than US ammo, but shot well and had a nice bark to it.

But since I became a Shield junky, the LCP has a home in one of my hideouts. Guess I should take it out and at least change the ammo in it. 

• Like 2

You'd think with the proliferation of .380 handguns, ammo would be slightly cheaper.

If folks would actually shoot their .380s? Present company excluded.

I have never, ever seen a .380 used in class, beginning my 7th year as a professional student and range valet

I may have to run the PK380 next Saturday at class...

Edited by A.J. Holst
10 hours ago, hipower said:

FWIW, I have a first year of release LCP. Bought it at Specialty Arms and ended up with the laser package on it before I walked out the door.

Paid way, way too much for it, in comparison with todays pricing; but have to say it has been dependable. I used to run several mags thru it on each range trip. I really liked mine with some of the PRIV Partisan(?) loads. A little hotter than US ammo, but shot well and had a nice bark to it.

But since I became a Shield junky, the LCP has a home in one of my hideouts. Guess I should take it out and at least change the ammo in it. 

I also purchased one of the first LCPs at Specialty Arms and paid too much, especially since I see them almost daily at PSA for $169.00. Having said that, it has been completely reliable for hundreds of rounds and works great as a pocket gun in summer with shorts and a tee shirt.

• Like 2