KIss your HCP goodbye.

bubbiesdad

There are some seriously crazy people out there.

While I can appreciate the anger the gentleman must have felt, confronting a crazy asshat known to have a gun just isn't the smartest move. That's a slippery slope towards "mutual combat". Just call the police and file the compliant. If you have to fight for your life that's one thing, if you can disengage just do it.

My preference is being deselected as a target in the first place. Not saying the guy can't wear what he wants. I don't care if he puts daisies in his hair. I'd just rather stay a bit more gray... Avoidance-Deterrence- and De-escalation is still good advice.

I hope this idiot gets solid jail time. The left will use his being an HCP holder against us, the law abiding gun carriers, and conveniently avoid the actual facts.

• Like 5

There are times now that I have my HCP that I cringe when I hear of certain people i know getting theirs. A certain extended family member boasted of getting one this weekend. I know her well enough to know that her with a gun is a recipe for an accident. She has far less than an hour gun time (probably including the class). Plus, having just took the class, she still had a bunch of the rules wrong. Only got it because her new spouse has one and bought her a gun. Never fired one before the class. 

My in-laws are a bit better, but they got both theirs in the state they live in. Hey are not new to guns, but neither have fired the gun they carry daily. Plus, they took it on a multi-state trip without checking any laws. 

There is a fine line here between someone just having it, and knowing what to do with it.

13 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

There are times now that I have my HCP that I cringe when I hear of certain people i know getting theirs. A certain extended family member boasted of getting one this weekend. I know her well enough to know that her with a gun is a recipe for an accident. She has far less than an hour gun time (probably including the class). Plus, having just took the class, she still had a bunch of the rules wrong. Only got it because her new spouse has one and bought her a gun. Never fired one before the class. 

My in-laws are a bit better, but they got both theirs in the state they live in. Hey are not new to guns, but neither have fired the gun they carry daily. Plus, they took it on a multi-state trip without checking any laws. 

There is a fine line here between someone just having it, and knowing what to do with it.

I talked to a cousin in SC who said the same thing. He was on the fence about getting his carry permit, but decided to go ahead and take the class. After looking around the room in the class, he quickly determined that if all these nut jobs have guns, I darn sure need one too.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Was I the only one that caught he was waiting on MOM ?
Now as someone who cares for an elderly parent and goes heeled I've yet to call someone out while Dad is getting his 60 roll pack of Brawny 😆
A little more investigating and reading several stories from several other networks suggest this guy is 57 and lives with mommy and was wearing a veterans hat when the showdown/shoutdown took place. While many focused on the eyes in his mugshot my first giveaway was the hoodie. I bet lunch that he was also sporting white sneakers and trotted out to his ( or mommies) Prius in the handicapped space and still has a BERNIE 2016 sticker on his trunk lid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 2
38 minutes ago, DWARREN123 said:

Idiot never should have been issued a HCP and I hope taking his is just the first step of his punishment.

why?  I argue with myself frequently about this.  On one hand 'we' want constitutional carry.  Stories like this argue against it as does my personal experience as an instructor.  On the other hand, I feel more training is required.  It comes down to the lack of personal responsibility, with or without a permit.  Still no laws against stupid.

• Like 5

I had some really smart people in my class both in classroom and on the range when I went to take my permit class. It was not a to diversed group. Did have two middle aged ladies that aced their classroom and Range tests both. Then we had 1 elderly gentleman That did fine in classroom grade but range test was a lot different and I have to had it to Chad, our instructor as he ask the class to bare with him and Chad and his partner were down on the range trying to assist the gentleman in passing the range test. The issue was the gentleman showed up with a Smith&Wesson Snub 38 brand new in the box that he had never fired and 1 box of ammo. 1.5 hours and 4 boxes of ammo later the man was able to get a passing grade.

Chad told the gentleman if he planned on using the gun for anything he needed to dedicate a lot of time and ammo at the range with the gun. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

I had some really smart people in my class both in classroom and on the range when I went to take my permit class. It was not a to diversed group. Did have two middle aged ladies that aced their classroom and Range tests both. Then we had 1 elderly gentleman That did fine in classroom grade but range test was a lot different and I have to had it to Chad, our instructor as he ask the class to bare with him and Chad and his partner were down on the range trying to assist the gentleman in passing the range test. The issue was the gentleman showed up with a Smith&Wesson Snub 38 brand new in the box that he had never fired and 1 box of ammo. 1.5 hours and 4 boxes of ammo later the man was able to get a passing grade.

Chad told the gentleman if he planned on using the gun for anything he needed to dedicate a lot of time and ammo at the range with the gun. 

That's common. A lot of the people showing up for class have shot once or never and have a new gun. I can't tell you how many people come in buy a gun and tell me they are taking their class the next day. Sad thing is a lot of people think that the class is " training" and they never shoot/train again, or maybe 100 rounds a year.

• Like 1

I am willing to give some basic instruction, but I do not baby-sit a shooter.  The permit class is primarily on safety and the laws that deal with carrying and self-defense.  In TN one can have a gun in their auto and home without a permit, but I simply cannot accept that I may enable someone to carry a gun that doesn't possess at least a minimum of basic gun handling and accuracy skill.  For what it is worth, in the public, you, myself, and our families may be walking next to or  down range from these people.

• Like 1

I confess to doing a somewhat similar thing. I have shot pistols since I was 18. Damn! I just realized how long that has been. And it's a darn long time.

Anyway, I have a lot of experience with pistols, and I'd say I was competent. Not great, but competent.

I did however, show up for my class with a brand new Sig 40. Just got it and hadn't shot it. Cleaned and dryfired it a bit, but nothing else.

No matter how good or bad I, or anyone else might be. I think that was a bad idea.

3 hours ago, chances R said:

why?  I argue with myself frequently about this.  On one hand 'we' want constitutional carry.  Stories like this argue against it as does my personal experience as an instructor.  On the other hand, I feel more training is required.  It comes down to the lack of personal responsibility, with or without a permit.  Still no laws against stupid.

This is a very valid point and one I too struggle reconciling. 

With Rights come Responsibilities.

When I long ago made the decision to obtain my permit and carry a handgun daily I understood the need to learn to do so safely and competently. I received my first State wide permit when my then home of MS became a Shall Issue State. That was 1990. They didn't even require a class of any type. So I took it upon myself to start down that path. Many thousands of dollars and many hundreds of hours of training and practice, and many, many miles traveled, and I am still on that journey, and it's just that, a journey, not a destination. I pray I never stop learning and improving. That's because I take that responsibility seriously. I know many of you do as well. But we are not representative of the majority. That's unfortunate and we see it manifested in actions like this fool in the article. Sad indeed.

chances R is right...you can't legislate stupid away...   

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Jamie Jackson said:

This is a very valid point and one I too struggle reconciling. 

With Rights come Responsibilities.

When I long ago made the decision to obtain my permit and carry a handgun daily I understood the need to learn to do so safely and competently. I received my first State wide permit when my then home of MS became a Shall Issue State. That was 1990. They didn't even require a class of any type. So I took it upon myself to start down that path. Many thousands of dollars and many hundreds of hours of training and practice, and many, many miles traveled, and I am still on that journey, and it's just that, a journey, not a destination. I pray I never stop learning and improving. That's because I take that responsibility seriously. I know many of you do as well. But we are not representative of the majority. That's unfortunate and we see it manifested in actions like this fool in the article. Sad indeed.

chances R is right...you can't legislate stupid away...   

+1 on this.

Personal responsibility can't be stated enough. And that extends past guns, we are losing that in society in general. I have family and friends that could use a lesson in it yet they ramble on through life expecting someone else to take care of it.

• Like 1