Really bad days at the range

Ronald_55

I had a .45 single action revolver that looked similar to photo #3.  The cylinder was broken in half and top strap sheared off.   I might still have some photos around somewhere.  It was a startling experience. A piece of the cylinder hit my trigger finger, and the finger swelled up for a few days, but that was the only injury I suffered.  The revolver, one of those Italian replicas that European American Armory used to import, was replaced under warranty.

On 2/21/2019 at 8:50 AM, FUJIMO said:

I had one of the ill fated Rem 597 in 17 HMR explode in my face. No glorious pics but it reinforced the reason I wear protection whenever I shoot.

I had a Rem 597 in .22LR shoot pieces of a shattered extractor and spring at me a couple years ago.

• Wow 1

No matter how careful you are....sometimes Murphy strikes.  Once I was reloading some 9mm rounds back into the magazine and was gonna reload some 380 right after.  Dunno how since they are visibly 2 different sizes, but I ended up loading  one of the rounds int he wrong magazine...fortunately I caught it before shooting, but I think I didn't catch it until I was reloading the other magazine and the rounds would not fit right...started pulling the rounds back out and saw i has loaded the wrong one in earlier...could have been tragic and I always thought i was too smart for crap like that.  

I’ve never blown a gun up but did have to dodge a bullet at an indoor range once.  A massive hunk of lead and copper, richocet of some kind, came right for me but luckily I saw it.  Doubt it would have killed me but I would have had a serious headache for a long time.

On 2/22/2019 at 3:43 PM, Magiccarpetrides said:

I wonder what in the world someone did to break that USP....that had to be a special kind of stupid.

10-4 on that.  I would like to know the story behind that one.  I know HK specifically says in the User's Manual to only use brass.  Anything else and HK's don't like it.  You have to really work hard to break an HK.

Edited by volshayes
  • Like 1

I had an AAC Cyclone that had about 8 to 10 thousand rounds through it. Took it pig hunting and ran some 20 round mags of 308 through it rather quickly. What I didn't know was that the blast baffle broke loose. Took it to the range and that baffle got in front of a bullet and destroyed the can. AAC gave me a new one and destroyed the old one. 

If you handload, all it takes is a few minutes of focused inattention!

In the mid to late 90's I double charged a 230 gr 45 acp (normal load was 5.7 grains of W231... I dosed it with 11.4 grains). I was shooting a Glock 21 when the kaboom occurred. The explosion blew the magazine out and apart, blew the plastic off of the trigger, bulged the barrel and the slide, and split the grip frame. But I still got my hit on the last target of the run! 👍

I only had a numb trigger finger for a few hours, no other injury Thankfully.

I contacted Glock, told them what I did, that it was a handload (a warranty violation if there ever was one) and that in my opinion I would have been injured (possibly seriously) if I had been shooting my 1911. The Glock rep I spoke with told me they wanted the gun, sent me a shipping label, and replaced my Glock 21, the magazine, and returned my aftermarket sights to me! That's some darn good customer service.

I have no pictures as this was back in the ancient times when cameras, film, and developing of photos was required. But it certainly made an impression on me. I still handload 99% on the handgun ammo I shoot... but you can't get more OCD about the protocols, and direct visualization of the powder charge in each and every round I now load.

My "Fortress Of Solitude" (the basement) is off limits to interruptions when I'm handloading these days... and I much prefer bulkier powders as well! :)

• Like 1

Back in 83 a bunch  of  us was on the back side of El Paso  shooting  our 44 mags wheel guns.  Just having  fun.  A friend  had a ruger redhawk.  We were watching  him shoot and on one shot  if looked like he threw the pistol at the target.  The pistol  looked like it flipped  out of his hard forward.  I asked  him  why did you throw  your  pistol.  He stated I did not throw my pistol  I got it here in where he shows us the redhawk that  was  missing  the barrel.  The barrel broke off the frame.  Just a clean cut at the frame. We all were shooting  reloads and factory  ammo.  Don't  remember  what he was shooting  but it did not sound any different  from the other ammo being shot that day. The pistol and shooter had no other damage.   Ruger fix the pistol  for him.