So, they are trying to pass House Bill 1264  which creates a new Concealed (only) Carry Permit and makes the current one an "Enhanced" Permit.  I think this is a crock of excrement, why not just pass a constitutional carry law instead?  Seems like it's a $$ grab, or/and a bone to throw out there to keep/garner our support.  Am I missing something?   

Second issue, so you guys may or may not of heard that SCOTUS has just accepted a 2A case which may have major implications, hopefully, it will go our way.  But you know what...not one peep from the NRA,  only GOA sent info on it and TFA, which lent it's support to GOA, yet they sent me an email urging support for this law.  I'm fixing to start bombarding the NRA with emails and phone calls to see why they aren't stepping into the ring.  They should be busy backing each and every case which can, and should, land with SCOTUS.   Like this one:

https://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article126014949.html  

• Like 2

Looks like all the bill would do is create a lower-level permit that does not require the 8-hour class. There’s a good chance that some states would not grant reciprocity to  this lower-level permit,  as is the case with other states that already have a two-tiered permit system.  What we might see as an amendment to this bill is the expansion of carry rights for those holding the enhanced permit, as is also seen in states with this kind of system. 

Meanwhile, Kentucky may be about to pass constitutional carry. 

Edited by 1796
1 hour ago, 1796 said:

Looks like all the bill would do is create a lower-level permit that does not require the 8-hour class. There’s a good chance that some states would not grant reciprocity to  this lower-level permit,  as is the case with other states that already have a two-tiered permit system.  What we might see as an amendment to this bill is the expansion of carry rights for those holding the enhanced permit, as is also seen in states with this kind of system. 

Meanwhile, Kentucky may be about to pass constitutional carry. 

According to what I read in the bill, nothing new for the current permit, not even letting us skip the BG checks during new gun purchases. Well, maybe a new renamed physical permit.

In Mississippi, you can legally carry on K-12 and college property with an enhanced carry license.  Also, someone in Mississippi with an enhanced carry license cannot get a weapons charge for a 'no guns' sign.  A private property owner of course can still ask you to leave and still trespass you if you do not leave.  From what I understand about the only place you cannot legally carry there with the enhanced license is an actual courtroom (the courthouse is ok) and maybe police stations and prisons.  People can take the same 8 hour classes in Memphis that people take for the Tennessee handgun carry permit class and get a Mississippi enhanced concealed license. 

Regular licenses in Mississippi do not require training but do require background check and fingerprinting.  You can also carry concealed there without a license as long as the handgun is in a holster. 

The enhanced license bill in TN would be a good deal if it legalizes K-12 and college property carry and removes the no gun sign weapons charge.  

• Like 3
4 hours ago, 300winmag said:

The enhanced license bill in TN would be a good deal if it legalizes K-12 and college property carry and removes the no gun sign weapons charge.  

That would be good, but it is not in this bill.  Just my opinion, but it probably won't happen.  Dems will never agree, and again in my opinion, some Republicans are more worried about the next election than doing the right thing.

Although the summary says the bill does include the following:

(8) An enhanced handgun carry permit holder who is within or on a public park, natural area, historic park, nature trail, campground, forest, greenway, waterway, or other similar public place is generally exempt from the present law prohibition against carrying weapons on any property owned, operated, or while in use by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. Such exemption will not apply to concealed handgun carry permit holders; and
(9) A local government may not prohibit an enhanced handgun carry permit holder from possessing a handgun on public property unless the local government provides a security system consisting of metal detectors and inspection by trained personnel for such property. A local government will not be required to provide metal detectors and security inspections in order to prohibit concealed handgun carry permit holders from possessing firearms on public property.

These would be improvements, but in #8 I would want to know more about what "generally exempt" means.

19 hours ago, Omega said:

Second issue, so you guys may or may not of heard that SCOTUS has just accepted a 2A case which may have major implications, hopefully, it will go our way.  But you know what...not one peep from the NRA,  only GOA sent info on it and TFA, which lent it's support to GOA, yet they sent me an email urging support for this law.  I'm fixing to start bombarding the NRA with emails and phone calls to see why they aren't stepping into the ring.  They should be busy backing each and every case which can, and should, land with SCOTUS.   Like this one:

Apparently the guy didn’t get the message from the ATF that they would arrest people violating Federal Weapons laws; we all got that message about the Tennessee Firearms Freedom Act. Too bad he had to be a test dummy. Their attorney that informed them it would be okay was not well informed at all.

I still don’t know why these laws can’t be tested without someone being arrested; but it appears that’s how it is. His case could make it to the SCOTUS; but that doesn’t mean they will hear it.

And to his statement about pot laws… Yes, the Feds could go into Colorado (or any other state that legalized it) on any given day; arrest everyone selling pot and shut down all the stores. Those store owners know that and went into it with their eyes open. I guess they think all that money is worth the risk.

21 hours ago, Omega said:

So, they are trying to pass House Bill 1264  which creates a new Concealed (only) Carry Permit and makes the current one an "Enhanced" Permit.  I think this is a crock of excrement, why not just pass a constitutional carry law instead?  Seems like it's a $$ grab, or/and a bone to throw out there to keep/garner our support.  Am I missing something?   

The NRA is to busy sending me reminders that i have not sent in my membership fees to renew my membership. So far I have gotten 3 cancellations and four 7 day extentions with them almost begging me to remain a member and the only reason I have not renewed my membership is because I have not seen them doing anything that is what the NRA is suppose to represent but they make sure you get your renewal reminders. I am not sure I will renew yet. Still thinking about it...........:shrug: 

This bill is a sop to Lee's comments in the primary that he felt like you should not have to pay for a permit, was not very well thought out.  Amendment today put it back in Dept. of Homeland Security jurisdiction where the original did not have it there.   Does nothing to expand the "enhanced" permit, got slapped with a $1mil fiscal note, dead in the water. Moms, sissies and Vandy Demand Action all testified against it.

The NRA  came out in favor of it, why I have no idea.  Would not work for reciprocity

Edited by Worriedman
4 hours ago, Worriedman said:

This bill is a sop to Lee's comments in the primary that he felt like you should not have to pay for a permit, was not very well thought out.  Amendment today put it back in Dept. of Homeland Security jurisdiction where the original did not have it there.   Does nothing to expand the "enhanced" permit, got slapped with a $1mil fiscal note, dead in the water. Moms, sissies and Vandy Demand Action all testified against it.

The NRA  came out in favor of it, why I have no idea.  Would not work for reciprocity

Yea, that was my issue with it, they sent an email asking for us to contact our reps in support of this, but when I read the bill, it didn't sound like it did much for easing 2A restrictions.

Spoke with the House sponsor today, maybe some goodies coming out in another amendment for "enhanced permit", but the New Director of Department of Safety and his sidekick Ash will do all they can to kill it, remember Terry Ash now #2 at DOS has been the Sword of the Sheriff's Association to kill gun bills for a lot of years.

I agreed to keep an open mine, as the intent is to do as I surmised, give an option for low/no cost permits per the new Governors campaign stance which developed at the end of the run.

Interesting  dynamic developing...

Edited by Worriedman
14 hours ago, Worriedman said:

...maybe some goodies coming out in another amendment for "enhanced permit"

No reason that can't be added to this legislation.  Between the reduced urgency to appear gun friendly after "doing something" and the priorities of a part time legislature, actually enhancing the benefits of an enhanced permit will fall to the wayside if not attended to in conjunction with a lower tier CC permit.

If the enhanced permit in TN is not treated like the enhanced permit in Mississippi with legal K-12 school/college carry and decriminalizing the no gun signs, then there is not any benefit in this legislation for people with enhanced permits.

I am hoping this bill is amended further change that.

• Like 1

Speaking with the sponsor last night, there will be no amendments to liberalize the "enhanced" permit, leadership did require higher charges to satisfy the fiscal note, the bill remains a simple attempted end run by the new governor to show some adherence to his claim in the campaign that "you should not have to pay for a permit", but his choices for the rulers of Department of Safety overrode the attempt and are requiring background checks, fingerprints and as "no cost to user"  was going to jab the budget for over a $million, there is now an amendment that reduces the cost to the state to under $79K per year supposedly, the "sweeper" being $100K, but will; cost the user around $50.00 one time. Plus there will be whatever cost for the training aspect.

This is a no use bad bill but will most likely pass as it is an attempt to move the ball forward in a corrupt cesspool of Establishment LE holding sway over our Constitutional rights.

Edited by Worriedman

That is disappointing that there are not any plans to remove off limits locations, like schools and colleges, for the new enhanced carry permit similar to what Mississippi did several years ago when it started offering enhanced permits.

It is interesting that the only state bordering TN that does not have legal college carry with a permit is North Carolina.  Missouri, Alabama, and Mississippi it is legal to carry in K-12 schools also with a permit.

Of course some of these surrounding states you can open carry and/or conceal carry without buying a license, but you are often more restricted on where you can carry.  I don't think we are getting much value out of our handgun carry permits that require live fire training and payment to the state.

Edited by 300winmag