Taurus 85 Ultra lite opinions

Quavodus

I have 2. Not a fanatic, just worked out that way. But nice little pistols. Not really for long range shooting, but at 10 yards isn't bad. Of course not intended for that, more for close range...5-7 yards and closer.

Mine have the ribbed rubber grips making them easier to hold, and absorb the recoil.

38 special rounds comfortable to shoot, P+ not so much.

If what you looked at, check to see if +P rated. Good price? Get it. Great house gun, and carry for just getting into carry. I say this because most people will not stop at the Taurus. Smiths and Rugers soon follow.

33 minutes ago, hipower said:

I have 2. Not a fanatic, just worked out that way. But nice little pistols. Not really for long range shooting, but at 10 yards isn't bad. Of course not intended for that, more for close range...5-7 yards and closer.

Mine have the ribbed rubber grips making them easier to hold, and absorb the recoil.

38 special rounds comfortable to shoot, P+ not so much.

If what you looked at, check to see if +P rated. Good price? Get it. Great house gun, and carry for just getting into carry. I say this because most people will not stop at the Taurus. Smiths and Rugers soon follow.

I have owned several and agree with HP, except the part about him not being a fanatic ! :) 2 revolvers, dang hoarder!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, Quavodus said:

Hipower, it did have the ribbed grips. It felt good in my hand and its a nice looking gun too. I've got a Ruger Security Six that I've had forever but its a little big, 6" barrel.

The Security Six was, and still is a classic Ruger. Very good pistols.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Pickaroon said:

Personally, I'd put a few more dollars into  Smith and Wesson. I've learned that the hard way.

Except it’s more than a few dollars. Minimum difference is about $150, but mostly between $200 or $300.  Rugers are closer in price.

When I was looking for 4” .357 last year, for general plinking, I was thinking S&W but the difference between a Taurus 627 Tracker and a S&W 686 was $300. I bought the Taurus.

Now that being said, I picked a new S&W 442 at a Harvey’s FB Auction for $295, just recently! So you might very well find one for “a few dollars more”. 🙂

• Like 1
On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:51 AM, Moped said:

Now that being said, I picked a new S&W 442 at a Harvey’s FB Auction for $295, just recently! So you might very well find one for “a few dollars more”. 🙂

AND....for what it's worth...I made a decent find yesterday. Visited a local shop and found a few items that came in on a trade. Several I liked, but one I just kept coming back to.

Found what appears to be a pristine, unfired S&W Model 915. Looks like new, box is like new, all items included from Smith...papers and plastic chamber plug.

Paid a fair price for it. Not a great steal, but for what it is, I think I did ok on it. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, hipower said:

AND....for what it's worth...I made a decent find yesterday. Visited a local shop and found a few items that came in on a trade. Several I liked, but one I just kept coming back to.

Found what appears to be a pristine, unfired S&W Model 915. Looks like new, box is like new, all items included from Smith...papers and plastic chamber plug.

Paid a fair price for it. Not a great steal, but for what it is, I think I did ok on it. 

I think S&W autos are still pretty good deals in the Auto market.  But the revolver market has seen a huge jump in prices.  I could see them getting into Snake Gun price range, before too much longer, at least for their steel guns.

The S&W Alloy and polymar frames seem to be a bit cheaper.  There was a used S&W 638 that was running for a good price here, yesterday!  And I see the little .38spl Bodyguards on sale here in Knoxville for around $299, brand new, from time to time.  I've only read mixed review on these, though.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Quavodus said:

As far as autos go, I like automatics but, I already have ammo and dies for a .38/.357 and just don't want to take on another caliber.

It's a short jump to 9mm......and then to .45...... just saying.

• Like 1