Please don't buy Benchmade

I saw a long discussion about this issue online yesterday, and about Benchmade agreeing to help the local police department destroy confiscated guns.  It's pretty sad, and I'm not going to rehash the whole thing here -- you can read about it in other places, as Pickaroon says -- but I'll not be buying any more Benchmade products.  

The cutting up guns thing bewilders me. Doesn't that city have a shop and their own people who could do that for them? Why was Benchmade even involved? 

As for the political contributions, buying a politician is always a good investment. Especially when you're certain they will be the one in office. 

Oh well, Benchmade has shot themselves in the foot. Time will tell if they bleed out or not. :shrug:

• Like 1

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/02/21/benchmade-helps-destroy-guns/

I don't see what they did as wrong at all...now I don't know about their actual politics but I understand why they helped the local sheriff as they probably had torches and cutters available that most shops do not.  

I don't own any benchmade knives but if any of you are outraged that do i'll be happy to take those anti-2a pieces of junk off your hands. 😁

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, DJTC45 said:

PM me your address and I'll send it out to you, I only have one and you can have it. But once you get it you need to post a pic of it.

Are you saying it has a nick or two in it? 🙂  I only have one that's never been carried. I'll sell it to some lib that will carry it proudly.

11 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I bet they wish that sheriff’s department hadn’t posted those pictures to social media...

That’s what I was thinking. That and, someone at Benchmade didn’t really think this thing through.

I feel sorry for some of these stores that get caught up in the gun debate when no matter which way they go they are going to pizz someone off. But you would think a knife company would think this through a little better.

I only own a few knives and I have never bought Benchmade; so my opinion will have zero impact on them.

• Moderators

A coworker was mentioning this to me the other day, about a week ago.

I do think this will very nearly if not completely cause Benchmade to go kaput.

However, I do have two thoughts that I'm trying to wrap my head around:

• As a private company, as local PD approaches you and offers you money to destroy firearms. If you don't accept, someone else will. Perhaps it is $5,000 to $10,000 pure net profit, minus electricity and wear and tear on equipment. In a way, wouldn't you be crazy not to? The mistake was the Social Media posting that alienated 90% or more of their customer base. (Sidenote: I have no idea if Benchmade was paid to do this "service", but I am assuming that they were).
  • Regarding the political donations, could they be construed as attempting to buy support from politicians? You always hear about lobbyists and people trying to "buy politicians", is that what this could be construed as or have they (Benchmade) just been exposed at overall being a very left leaning company?
  • Like 2