Please don't buy Benchmade

12 hours ago, Raoul said:

I'd cut the damn guns up if they paid me. It's business. What a bunch of whiny dogmatic jerks some of you are. Proof that the right is as stupid as the left. Adios.

Now now we cant just up and leave over differences of opinion....hell that's gonna happen in any group or forum.  Its ok for all of us to have conflicting view points this isnt fox news or CNN.  Ya know maybe this subject is just a bit too heated ...lets go back to just talking about guns, shooting sports, etc

• Like 2
21 hours ago, Raoul said:

I'd cut the damn guns up if they paid me. It's business. What a bunch of whiny dogmatic jerks some of you are. Proof that the right is as stupid as the left. Adios.

Sorry bud, but sometimes you have to just pass up some business.  I highly doubt this would be a lucrative contract, so the amount anyone would get would not be worth the trouble unless you support such things.   

• Like 1

Has it ever been proven that Benchmade was paid to cut up those guns? I was under the impression that they just did local PD a favor. I've never seen any mention of being paid anywhere else but here. 

As for the political contributions, they're located in Oregon. A liberal democrat stronghold that's going farther left every day. My guess is that Benchmade recognizes that a conservative republican has zero chance of being elected. So they contribute to the dems they feel are most aligned to them. As I said before, buying a politician is always a good investment. Its better to own a piece of those who are actually in office than wish for what isn't gonna happen. 

I've never owned a Benchmade knife. But for me the issue was price, not politics. I have no idea what the folks at Benchmade were thinking when they did these things. I really don't care. I'll still never buy one. 

Grayfox54...I don't think they were paid and honestly I don't know why these guns were seized but if they were seized from criminals who committed a crime or worse were cooking meth, messing with fentanyl...im glad they cut them up...I wouldn't want those anyways.  Unless a gun shot a Nazi in WWII I don't want anything to do with one that has "violence on it".  Its not like these were taken from law abiding citizens.  This wasn't a Gestapo confiscation.

10 minutes ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

Grayfox54...I don't think they were paid and honestly I don't know why these guns were seized but if they were seized from criminals who committed a crime or worse were cooking meth, messing with fentanyl...im glad they cut them up...I wouldn't want those anyways.  Unless a gun shot a Nazi in WWII I don't want anything to do with one that has "violence on it".  Its not like these were taken from law abiding citizens.  This wasn't a Gestapo confiscation.

The PD says that some were from a gun buy back.   So yeah, they were taken from law abiding citizens.   

Benchmade's PR trying to defend themselves on a podcast.  

https://www.alloutdoor.com/2019/03/04/benchmade-attempts-damage-control-gun-talk-radio/

Tom Gresham talked about the topic in a recent Gun Talk radio session, which I’ll include below via YouTube. According to him, it’s Benchmade that reached out to him.

Tom talks with Matt Elliott, Director of Marketing for Benchmade Knife Company, about the company destroying firearmsfor the Oregon City Police Department and donating to anti-gun Democrats.

The Benchmade topic begins around the 2:30 mark, and by way of introducing it he talks about being “Zumboed” as in Jim Zumbo’s unfortunate remarks about modern sporting rifles and his resulting fall from grace.

It would seem that Benchmade has been Zumboed.

If you want to get right to it, skip to the 5:45 mark. Here are some of the high points:

• Benchmade has been destroying guns for the police for “a few years” but less than a decade.
  • No law requires the police to destroy the guns; they could be sold to the public. This PD “has made a political decision to not sell guns back into the lawful trade stream.”
  • Benchmade is selling this as “being supportive to law enforcement.”
  • Benchmade said they’ll stop destroying guns for the police.
  • Benchmadehas made multiple political donations to anti-gun Democrats and has no record of contributing to any Republicans or pro-freedom candidates.
  • Benchmade says they contribute to Democrats because Democrats get elected in Oregon, and apparently these donations are intended to help pass a law to protect interstate travel for people transporting certain knives.
  • Tom Gresham thinks that law is terrible and says, “I hope it never passes and I think you guys are wrong, to an incredible extent, to be pushing that.” He adds the new law “will only get people arrested.”
  • After Tom says, “It’s even so bad that Dianne Feinstein supports it,” he’s met with dead air from Benchmade’s PR man.
  • The lobbying group hired by Benchmade is ultra-liberal and one of their biggest clients is Planned Parenthood.

At the end, Matt states:

The contributions that [Benchmade] has made to the shooting sports industry and to pro-gun organizations, whether that’s through discounts to members, donations for funding, financial support of youth programs, co-branded knife lines, memberships, or simply to the supply chain of the industry, has been consistent throughout the course of our history and to the tune of millions of dollars."

• Wow 1
2 hours ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

Capbyrd….well sh*t....im gonna enjoy my free knife and stick with Kershaw and such....shame cause after getting this one from DJTC45 I really was impressed with their quality.

I think what this whole thing boils down to is that Benchmade is an apolitical company.   And their refusal to take a side alienates their customer base.  Now, they are trying to do damage control but still without being political.   There have been a lot of people that have said that they aren't a gun company so who cares but knives are every bit as much a 2A issue as guns are.   These things are deeply interconnected.    What affects one will eventually affect the other.  If they want to win back their customers, the right thing to do is own the political contributions and be honest about government contracts or pushing bills and then admit that they were wrong about the gun thing.   But they won't.    

Edited by Capbyrd
I'm an idiot and typed knifes.
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

The PD says that some were from a gun buy back.   So yeah, they were taken from law abiding citizens.   

What kind of buyback?

Voluntary buyback for PR purposes where people get rid of old junk guns taking up space

or,

This gun is illegal once a law goes into effect, but here's some pocket change if you surrender it buyback? 

There's a difference...and I'm not bothered at all by Benchmade donating some time on their equipment to the local PD for the former.  The latter would be up for debate. 

3 hours ago, btq96r said:

What kind of buyback?

Voluntary buyback for PR purposes where people get rid of old junk guns taking up space

or,

This gun is illegal once a law goes into effect, but here's some pocket change if you surrender it buyback? 

There's a difference...and I'm not bothered at all by Benchmade donating some time on their equipment to the local PD for the former.  The latter would be up for debate. 

By the looks of those two in the pictures, these were not junk.  Seems that no matter what, confiscated guns, if the legal owner doesn't sue to get it back, is ordered destroyed.  Remember where we're talking about, it's a leftist, gun grabbing paradise where they would repeal the 2nd in a heartbeat if they could.

Well, seems there is definitely more to this, and possibly more to come:

Edited by Omega
Add video and info