New Savage Rifle

rugerla1

I picked up a Savage 110 Tactical Desert in 6.5 Creedmoor a few weeks ago. Still haven’t made it to the range yet, had a cold that’s hanging on and won’t let go. Hoping to get out this weekend and test it. Everything is stock as from the factory, 24” threaded barrel, oversized bolt handle, adapters for longer LOP and comb height, accutrigger and accustock. I put Nightforce ultralight rings on the factory EGW 20 moa rail, then mounted and torqued the Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 into place. I put a Harris bipod on it but will also be running my Swagger bipod on this rifle when coyote hunting. I recently picked up a Vortex bubble level as well so I put it on during this process. The rifle looks and feels great. I haven’t messed with the comb height or LOP adapters yet but will when I finally take it out. I’m curious to see what the 6.5 can do but didn’t buy it because of the internet fame. I was looking at a few 22-250 rifles for coyote hunting. Later a buddy of mine were discussing the pros and cons and we got to talking about the 6mm Creedmoor. I was definitely interested in the 6mm but decided to go with the 6.5 mainly for access to factory ammo. I will be hand loading eventually but for now, there are many choices of quality ammo available. Anyway, I’m excited to have it and ready to get out and enjoy it, especially with the SilencerCo Omega out front!

GQI5tLc.jpg

Edited by rugerla1
  • Like 2

I mounted the Swagger bipod to the 6.5 tonight.   I also got the Area 419 Hellfire adapter and mount for my SilencerCo Omega. If you haven’t looked into them you should. I also picked up an Armageddon Gear hi temp suppressor cover. Recommended from a good friend who has used them for a while now. 

eHRmWW1.jpg

wujcgKg.jpg

lzf1uAS.jpg

yxcZJFl.jpg

That's a good looking rifle. I will admit I am biased to Savage. I have two, neither of them are the high end models, but both are lights out accurate and rugged as hell. I just finished modifying the acutrigger on my Axis today, it will now come down to under a pound. I like that bipod a lot. Which model is it? My Axis is going to be my coyote gun and those look perfect. I'm usually a shooting stick kind of guy, as I like to sit up and lean back on a tree.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, gunwhatgun said:

That's a good looking rifle. I will admit I am biased to Savage. I have two, neither of them are the high end models, but both are lights out accurate and rugged as hell. I just finished modifying the acutrigger on my Axis today, it will now come down to under a pound. I like that bipod a lot. Which model is it? My Axis is going to be my coyote gun and those look perfect. I'm usually a shooting stick kind of guy, as I like to sit up and lean back on a tree.

Thank you! It’s the Swagger Hunter 29. I love this bipod!  I was very skeptical when I first saw it so started doing some research. Really wish I’d heard about these things before now. 

Had a great time shooting today!! Got the Savage dialed in. Then we moved to the 1,035 yard range before it got dark. Spotter walked my shots up to within a foot of the gong and I ran out of the ammo that I’d zeroed with (Sig Sauer 140 grain OTM) Tried five more shots with some Hornady Black but light was low and couldn’t get it done. Had so much fun though! 

Mounted the Area 419 Hellfire Brake this evening even though it will probably rarely get used. But the lockup design is amazing and I’m so glad to have it now. 

These are groups from the Sig ammo, I’m happy for this to be an off the shelf rifle, no break in at all, and especially for ammo that cost $22-$24 per box. I will load my own once I get the dies but for off the shelf ammo I’m happy. 

LhfNtpA.jpg

sDtP4Dz.jpg

yrMxqCX.jpg

nDIegVO.jpg

3QORRUH.jpg

• Like 2

What distance did you zero at? those are good groups. I have been wanting a 6.5 for a long time, it's just not practical where I live, shoot and hunt. We can go out to about 400yrds at the range I get to use but that is about it. 

I just about have myself talked into the Swagger, even if I have to sell another gun to fund it lol. I like to sit up and shoot, and the longer one just looks perfect. I also like the looks of these    https://swaggerbipods.com/products/stalker-lite   

How well does the can help? Does 6.5 suppress as well as something like .308?

• Like 1
On 3/3/2019 at 9:56 AM, gunwhatgun said:

What distance did you zero at? those are good groups. I have been wanting a 6.5 for a long time, it's just not practical where I live, shoot and hunt. We can go out to about 400yrds at the range I get to use but that is about it. 

I just about have myself talked into the Swagger, even if I have to sell another gun to fund it lol. I like to sit up and shoot, and the longer one just looks perfect. I also like the looks of these    https://swaggerbipods.com/products/stalker-lite   

How well does the can help? Does 6.5 suppress as well as something like .308?

I zeroed at 100 yards. I expect it will shoot better as I keep shooting it and get used to the rifle. It’s definitely a different feel versus my Rem 700. 

The Stalker Lite wasn’t out when I bought the Hunter 29 so I can’t speak for it but it seems very nice as well. The Hunter 42 is for sitting in a chair/blind/etc and I would have been happy with it as well. But I got the 29 because I knew I’d mostly be sitting on the ground with my back against a tree so it would work for me. At first it seems a little awkward until you figure out your probably overthinking it. It’s very nice and adapts to different  setups very easily. 

The Omega works very well on the 6.5 and I didn’t use hearing protection all day. Well except when my buddy shot his .243 rifle without a can lol

Edited by rugerla1
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

That was very cool. 

Thanks! They were both glad I thought to grab my phone and try to catch some footage. I honestly didn’t think they’d turn out but it picked up the sound pretty well. Ready to go back and make a video of me doing it. 

Edited by rugerla1