Solid Workbench Reccomendations

I am slowly but surely ploughing through a couple of books regarding building an AR. Regardless of any actually ending up building one I can say the info has provided me with an invaluable learning experience. 

I already have a large solid work bench, it’s one of those ones you can get from Amazon, they provide the legs and screws etc then you build it to your specs with your own wood. 

I now I need more bench space ! I am looking for something about 4 -5 feet long that will be man enough to take a vice and maybe in the future some reloading equipment. I know the obvious answer is to build my own, but I am a complete DB when it comes to that. Maybe time to learn ? Possibly! But I was wondering if you folks have any reccomendations or is there anyone on these forums that makes them ? If I am going to be spending some cash why not keep it within this community!

Let me know your thoughts!

My woodworking and carpentry skills are virtually non-existent. I found a way to make a bench that has worked for me.

If you know the location you want it, and it's not going to be moved; Nail or screw(preferable in mho) a 2x4 to the wall at the height you want and start from there. Cut the length legs you want, and cut some pieces to attach the legs to the wall. Do that for the length of table you want and you have the base you need.

I planned on a lot of weight on my first work table, so I did legs every 16". A bit overbuilt, but I liked it. Now you should have a frame ready for the top. 

Use your material of choice, cut before attaching to the frame( I found that easier.) It may not be an exact fit, but who cares. It's a work table. If you are concerned about weight, double the top. 

Not really necessary in most cases, but I had some free leftovers from a workshop build my father-in-law did. So I went a bit overboard.

There you are. You just built a bench. Even if you don't attach it to a wall, use the wall as a temporary brace to get started with.

Yes, a bit oversimplified and not really good directions. But between u-tube vids and plain old ingenuity...you can do it. I did, so you can bet it's not that hard.

Good luck with the project.

And that Amazon kit you got should give you basics as well. It's not hard. I did it.

• Like 1

Yep that’s it Ronald that’s the exact one. I think I might actually just do that again but keep it real simple. The guy that did my big bench for me went all in. It’s 4 feet wide, make of solid wood is 8 feet long, shelves etc , it’s a beast. The other thing I though of was just turning that big bench into the main bench, because that thing is sturdy and then make something smaller for the gear I move.

I bought a 60" piece of plain white countertop and two 3-drawer kitchen cabinets at the local home store. Mounted them to the wall with a 48" light above. Instant work space. 

I will admit to ripping the corner off the countertop while applying a truly ridiculous amount of torque to something in my vice (think 6ft cheater bar). But I reinforced that corner with double thick plywood and it's been fine since. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, ShaggyRS6 said:

I guess I could drop by on the way home tonight. I have to drive over the woodland street bridge

Totally up to you. You know what works in the space and how you want to use it exactly. I just like something that is good but free sometimes better than something perfect but expensive. Lol. I am a tightwad. But on the up side if you hate it later, you get a free vice to keep.  😁

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Totally up to you. You know what works in the space and how you want to use it exactly. I just like something that is good but free sometimes better than something perfect but expensive. Lol. I am a tightwad. But on the up side if you hate it later, you get a free vice to keep.  😁

I called and someone had snagged it.

My workbench for dirty work is a very old used machinist bench. My gun work bench is two used office 2 drawer filing cabinets (the ones that are deeper and have heavy slider drawers, lots of good storage), not the cheap box store type. I added a solid core smooth door for the top. I covered the whole thing with low nap carpeting. Plenty heavy for a light duty vise.

• Like 1

I bought some nails, 2x4, and 2x6 lumber and built my own. You could set a V8 engine on it. Saw 'em off and nail 'em together. It ain't that hard.

Actually, you'll want to screw together the part that holds your vice and reloading press.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, ShaggyRS6 said:

Gonna build my own. Wish me luck!

You got this.  After you’ve found a plan you like, like Greg said measure, measure, measure before you buy anything.  That is very important especially when buying wood and knowing how many free cuts they give you at HD or Lowe’s if that’s the way you go.

Use galvanized deck screws and drill pilot holes for them...assuming you’re going to build a beast like I did, lol.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 3

So, to maybe extend the original post while trying to stay within the spirit, does anyone have any specific recommendations for things they wish they had included in their workbench/ work space? Or maybe something they have, but wouldn't include again if they were startng from scratch?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TomInMN said:

So, to maybe extend the original post while trying to stay within the spirit, does anyone have any specific recommendations for things they wish they had included in their workbench/ work space? Or maybe something they have, but wouldn't include again if they were startng from scratch?

Nice!

4 hours ago, Garufa said:

You got this.  After you’ve found a plan you like, like Greg said measure, measure, measure before you buy anything.  That is very important especially when buying wood and knowing how many free cuts they give you at HD or Lowe’s if that’s the way you go.

Use galvanized deck screws and drill pilot holes for them...assuming you’re going to build a beast like I did, lol.

Yes, know where you are placing your bench, and the closest sizing you can make. That will make your project much easier and will look better.

When I started benches/tables in my garage...I had a lot of salvaged cabinets from an office building. They were heavy, very heavy. Not all of them were the same size. So I had to do a bit of cutting and even adding a board to the bacs of some to make everything mate up.

But to me, most importantly, make it work for you. Get your height and top depth so that it meets your size. Not too short or tall, nor too deep as to make it difficult to sit and work.

Good luck, sir. And have fun with it. Really. It should be a fun build and give you much satisfaction.

Measure...neat idea. lol You have no idea how many sides became leg posts and top braces for the top decking before I settled down and really paid attention.

I tried to cut exact and had a lot just a wee bit too short. So I learned if you're not a pro...cut long and then shorten it to fit.

• Like 1