Hey all!

I'm part of a church security team and we do lot of training; including force-on-force/scenario. A lot of the time, I’m posted at an entrance to one of the facilities that is about 25 yards from a parking lot. This is about my max effective range at the moment with pistol irons and, unless things go to hell, none of us will be carrying carbines. Because of this, the idea of adding an RDS to my pistol seems like it may be a wise option. It would allow me better engagement at that distance and be more accurate dealing with the cover provided by the cars.

The other option, which I know others already do, is to keep a carbine somewhere fairly close. Unless I’m roaming the parking lots, I’ll have access to proper cover at most of my post locations. However, retreating inside to retrieve a rifle allows the adversary time to get closer to the goal. And we all know how bad it becomes if they ever enter the facility.

Thoughts from current pistol RDS users or others in the same decision path?

I use red dots on target guns; but not carry guns. If a person is far enough away you need a sight; you probably shouldn’t be taking the shot in a parking lot with people around. I can assure you your effective range will be greatly diminished when you have an adrenalin rush pumping; especially if you are being shot at. It may not impact you but having experienced it; I smile when I see the “shot placement” comments. Shot placement is a given; knowing how you will perform under that kind of pressure is not. Handguns have their limitations; I wouldn’t add the possible problems of a red dot sight into the mix. That’s just my opinion.

• Like 3

Thanks for the feedback, Dave! I agree about being mindful about who is around when taking the shot (rule #4). The problem is keeping the attacker outside of the facility (ie. stopping them in the parking lot). This, given my typical distance to their potential cover, makes the RDS seem attractive (unless of course the event ever warrants closing the distance). Especially if my effective range shrinks due to adrenaline. Being able to threat-focus in this situation seems like it would be better. You definitely can't beat experience. I've never been shot at before. The closest I'll come to understanding my possible reaction is how I behave in force-on-force.

The question is whether it will make it easier to engage targets at distance? 

Absolutely. It gives you a much finer aiming point. What I consider easy shots at 25 yards with irons are easy shots at 50 with the dot and 75-100 is still doable if the target is big enough. 

As to the question of whether you can summon the skill to do it under fire? Absolutely NO ONE else can answer that but YOU in the moment it happens. And how you react initially has absolutely nothing to do with your equipment. Some people thrive and some crumple. It's either in you or it isn't and the sights have nothing to do with it.  

But consider this.....would you rather have some more effective or less effective equipment at hand in case you DO rise to the occasion (or more likely to your level of internalized training) ? The red dot gives some of us a legit 50 + yard straight up time after time effective distance. It does not make you a better shooter but it does make aiming the gun at distance simpler since the front sight is not covering up the whole guy...

If you are interested.....

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke
  • Thanks 1

If you do go this route, consider the different reticle options.

A triangle-shaped reticle can be used for more precise aiming if the gun is sighted with POI at the top tip, but still be quick at close range using the entire triangle.

As has been said, it might all be moot. (And I do hope it's a question you never have an answer to...)

• 1 year later...

Here’s an anecdotal example.  With RMR I can make head shots at the farthest distance most indoor ranges go to.  I don’t shoot indoor much, but every time I swap the battery in my RMR (yearly) I go to an indoor range to confirm my zero.  I shoot at many different distances, but I almost always end the session by running the target out as far as it will go and shoot for head shots.  The RMR makes it pretty easy.  By comparison, with my work pistol (iron sights) I have a tough time keeping all the rounds in the upper chest at 25 yards.  

Can I do that under the stress of an active shooter scenario?  Probably not.  Can I put rounds in the upper thoracic cavity from a long way away?  Yup.  All day everyday, thanks to my RMR and lots of practice.   

• 1 year later...

I'm on the fence still myself. I have a build that has a Swampfox Liberty on it. While I like it, I'm not enticed to get one on a carry gun yet.

Factoring different dot sizes, the bigger the dot, the more it acts like regular sights and limits the distance but close shots are a breeze. The smaller the dot,  the more accurate you can be at farther distance but now your finding that same dot takes more time to find. There is plenty of give and take with or without a dot sights but choose and train and practice and train and practice until it's absolute muscle memory. Trying to find any MOA dot under pressure can cost you the game....

Edited by kwe45919