House passes bill to require universal background checks on gun sales

https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2019-02-27/democratic-house-passes-bill-mandating-universal-background-checks-on-gun-purchases

The Democratic-led House on Wednesday passed a bill mandating universal background checks in a historic vote on the most significant piece of gun control legislation in years.

The Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019, sponsored by Rep. Mike Thompson, D-Calif., and Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., passed largely along party lines, 240-190. The bill now faces a steep uphill battle as it heads to the GOP-controlled Senate.

Eight Republicans joined Democrats in voting for the bill. Along with King, four other Republicans are co-sponsors, including Reps. Brian Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania, Fred Upton of Michigan, Brian Mast of Florida and Chris Smith of New Jersey. Meanwhile, two Democrats defected to oppose the bill.

The bill would require universal background checks for all firearm sales, including private transactions. Current federal law only mandates background checks for purchases from licensed gun dealers.

"Gun violence is a true national emergency," said Thompson, who noted that he's an avid hunter. "If this bill did anything to erode gun rights … I wouldn't support it and have my name on it."

The gun-control measure has been met by opposition from most Republicans and the National Rifle Association. President Donald Trump has already indicated that he'd veto the legislation if it made it to his desk.

But a Republican amendment was adopted to the chagrin of Democratic leadership, which would require U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to be notified when a person in the country illegally attempts to buy a firearm. In a surprising move, 26 Democrats joined Republicans to adopt it.

Most Republicans have said that expanded background checks wouldn't have prevented a 2018 mass shooting at a high school in Parkland, Florida, noting that the shooter cleared a background check.

The NRA argued that the bill "criminalizes the private transfer of firearms and targets law-abiding gun owners for persecution," including those who loan guns to family or friends.

But the measure includes exemptions to permit transfers that are loans or gifts between family members in addition to allowing temporary transfers for guns used for hunting or on shooting ranges.

Now that they serve in the majority, Democrats have been trying to flex their muscle on a number of campaign promises from the 2018 midterms, which include pledges to address gun control amid a series of mass shootings.

While the bill faces a big hurdle in the Senate, the legislation is symbolic for the Democratic Party, which a few years ago would shy away from taking up gun control. It's been more than two decades since a vote on a standalone gun-control measure in the House.

"No one's political survival here is more important than the survival of the American people, especially our children," Pelosi said prior to the vote.

Ahead of the vote, a number of Republicans took to the floor in opposition to the background checks bill.

Rep. Ken Buck, R-Colo, ticked through a number of the bill's exemptions, arguing that they "mislead people to believe a gun transfer is legal when it is not." And freshman Rep. Greg Steube, R-Fla., lambasted Democrats in committee hearings for rejecting his and several Republicans' amendments to the bill.

Plus, Senate Republicans have made their opposition to the bill clear. Senate Majority Whip John Thune told CNN on Tuesday that the upper chamber is "unlikely" to debate the bill in the near future.

The House will also vote on Thursday on another gun-control measure that would close the "Charleston loophole" and lengthen the window of time for a background check to be completed from three days to 20 days.

The Enhanced Background Checks Act addresses, authored by Rep. James Clyburn, R-S.C., addresses the process that allowed the shooter in a 2015 South Carolina mass shooting at a black church to purchase a firearm. King is the only Republican co-sponsor on that bill.

Edited by The Legion

The Charleston loophole is when guns are sold to people with criminal records, mental illnesses and other circumstances which should prevent them from being able to buy a firearm. But these people are automatically cleared to purchase a gun because the FBI failed to complete background checks before a three-day deadline.

It gets its name because it’s what allowed self-avowed white supremacist Dylann Roof to buy the gun he used to kill nine churchgoers in Charleston in 2015.

Roof should have been barred from buying a gun because of prior drug charges. But an FBI background check did not find those charges within the three-day waiting period because a Lexington County clerk did not record the charges properly.

So they think 20 days would have made a difference?

1 hour ago, 1fast4by said:

...Again, I'll ask, how do they plan on enforcing this?

My guess would be on a case by case basis. They will make examples out of a few people that bypass the background check. It won’t stop those that can’t pass a background check if they can find a seller that will sell to them.

It doesn’t have to work or even stop anyone from buying. It’s just so they can claim they are doing something.

Just remember what AOC says "So people are like, 'Oh it's unrealistic. Oh it's vague. Oh it doesn't address this little minute thing,'" she added. "And I'm like, 'You try. You do it. Cuz you're not. Cuz you're not. So, until you do it, I'm the boss.' How about that?'"

At some point a million armed citizens simply say "No".... I'm just not sure what that breaking point actually is.....We have seen it on this continent in the not too distant past but that was when every day life was not nearly as comfortable. But being used to the comfort thing though convinces people to accept what their ancestors probably would not accept.... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, 1fast4by said:

They'll do it selectively, make an example of some to scare the rest.

I'm sure they'll monitor sites like TGO to see who is selling. (I'll bet they already do.)

Another thing to consider is that they'll keep track of the sellers also, do too many transactions in their opinion & said seller/dealer will get a visit from the .g0v.

Edited by AuEagle
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
6 minutes ago, Cruel Hand Luke said:

At some point a million armed citizens simply say "No".... I'm just not sure what that breaking point actually is.....We have seen it on this continent in the not too distant past but that was when every day life was not nearly as comfortable. But being used to the comfort thing though convinces people to accept what their ancestors probably would not accept.... 

This is a question I’ve thought a lot about and the answer I’ve come to is that it simply isn’t going to happen. If it were, it would have long ago. The justification has long existed but the opportunity is gone. 

12 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

This is a question I’ve thought a lot about and the answer I’ve come to is that it simply isn’t going to happen. If it were, it would have long ago. The justification has long existed but the opportunity is gone. 

I don't know. It won't happen until they wrangle a way to confiscate peoples' guns in a big way. At that point, it really turns into a fight for our way of life. Maybe I am putting too much faith in our patriots. I just think there are a few left.

• Moderators

Funny you should mention Yugoslavia. That’s what I do see happening here. I’ve become convinced that the Balkanization of the US is the inevitable outcome and it will be centered around economic factors. Nobody has the will or desire to upset the apple cart until they pick up their phone and the internet doesn’t work, the light switch doesn’t do anything, or the grocery store shelves are empty. Until that happens, we’re all just along for the ride. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, 1fast4by said:

Same way as now. Case by case, not many convictions, but some. Occasional sting operations,  like always.

Put it this way -- ever sell a gun to someone you didn't know at a show or wherever? Most of us that have a buncha guns have.

Suddenly, even all the existing laws regarding selling to ineligible buyer go out the window, no sales period without FFL. You gonna risk it? Not moi. Also, unlike not so much now, suddenly the buyer will be under the same scrutiny as the seller, too.

- OS

They've spent decades inoculating up and coming generations to the point where we now label a pissed off navy guy with a sh!t list of hated politicians and 15 guns as a domestic terrorist and someone we should hang. I assure you the same snowflake hipster titsuckers would load their pink panties with past tense avocado toast and la croix if they actually encountered a real terrorist. These are the same people that call 911 for other parents being "too strict" with their children at the playground. I am thankful everyday I don't have children to raise in this.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

They've spent decades inoculating up and coming generations to the point where we now label a pissed off navy guy with a sh!t list of hated politicians and 15 guns as a domestic terrorist and someone we should hang. I assure you the same snowflake hipster titsuckers would load their pink panties with past tense avocado toast and la croix if they actually encountered a real terrorist. These are the same people that call 911 for other parents being "too strict" with their children at the playground. I am thankful everyday I don't have children to raise in this.

My children are all grown and their children are all grown with children of their own and the ones old enough to have a gun has a gun and has been raised up in a family of firearms and respect them and as long as they are alive they will have that respect for the 2nd Amendment and the Constitution.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Whisper said:

Mandatory gun registration and a nationwide federal database of gun owners.  It's for the children.

That's where I was going with that. It's the only logical step. Then they can pass a law that say... Bans semi auto rifles, and they'll know exactly where all law abiding citizens have them..

• Thanks 1
On 2/28/2019 at 12:15 PM, mikegideon said:

I don't know. It won't happen until they wrangle a way to confiscate peoples' guns in a big way. At that point, it really turns into a fight for our way of life. Maybe I am putting too much faith in our patriots. I just think there are a few left.

I think you are right.  3% did the job the first time.

Edited by volshayes

A quote from Marsha Blackburn re: HR 8:

DEFENDING THE SECOND AMENDEMENT 

On Wednesday, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi rammed a radical, unconstitutional bill (H.R. 😎 through the House of Representatives to mandate universal background checks for every firearm sale. Protection of our cherished Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms is a top priority for me. As such, I am 100% opposed to this bill. I will continue to oppose any restrictions on firearms that could unfairly target hunters, homeowners, and law-abiding citizens. As a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, I will fight to ensure H.R. 8 is dead on arrival in the Senate.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, volshayes said:

A quote from Marsha Blackburn re: HR 8:

DEFENDING THE SECOND AMENDEMENT 

On Wednesday, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi rammed a radical, unconstitutional bill (H.R. 😎 through the House of Representatives to mandate universal background checks for every firearm sale. Protection of our cherished Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms is a top priority for me. As such, I am 100% opposed to this bill. I will continue to oppose any restrictions on firearms that could unfairly target hunters, homeowners, and law-abiding citizens. As a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, I will fight to ensure H.R. 8 is dead on arrival in the Senate.

So far, I have no regrets voting for her.

• Like 3