Local gun shop snobs

Guest cdsusong

Guest bkelm18

Well, just because there is a rush on buying guns right doesn't mean that you can be rude to the customer when they ask for something. Most of my business goes to Mike (Phantom6) here in Oak Ridge. He doesn't give me any attitude when I ask for something that he doesn't have in stock (mainly because he doesn't really have anything in stock at all... :hat:), always greets me when I walk in the door, and usually there are a few other blokes in there talking about various interesting stuff that I usually know nothing about. I've never been to Hero Gear but I have never heard one bad thing said about them. Its all about how you treat your customers.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats why I like Hero Gear from day one everytime I walk through the door someone makes sure they say hello and what are you looking for. At least that has been my dealings with them. And Joe and Dan will go out of their way to help you no matter how busy they are. Theres a shop here local to that if you don't buy from them act like you shouldn't even be in their store. So it goes both ways. Guess thats why Joe has the business they have.

:hat: I totally agree!

I drive from Clarksville which sometime takes me 2 hours plus to get to Hero Gear and it's worth it every time. The staff is very knowledgeable and treats their customers with respect. They were very patient with me and never came across rude. This is by far my favorite store.

Guest Revelator

Nothing wrong with online shopping. When I know exactly what I'm looking for I'll buy it over the net, with the exception of guns. Guns I just have to buy in person. But things like ammo and mags, I'd rather buy those online.

Guest abailey362

customer service is #1 for repeat gun customers IMHO. I have bought one gun from G&L (week before I moved to chatt so only bought one gun there), lots from hero-hear, lots from skip, and return becuase of the customer service.

The supply and demand arguement is true for the customer that is frenzy buying right now and would take a punch in the face to buy a gun, but they will probably only buy this one gun any time in the near future. For us "gun guys" we will be buying now if the price is on par, and will have plenty of business to give in the future. The dealers that do right by their customers today will be the ones that are still in business in a couple years.

If you don't believe me, ask Circuit City

Guest cdsusong

I understand the position of the owner or in this case the guy that works there as the owner is never there, but my situation was, I wanted to order a part, the guy said he would check with his distributor the next day as they were placing an order. he took my name and cell number and said I will call you tomorrow and let you know. well 3 weeks later and no call, I go back to see what the deal was. guess what, he wasn't there and no one knew anything about it. Then the 2nd worker says, we can ask him when he comes in next week. What? thats what spurred me to just order it myself. and guess what, I got it in 3 days. Now if it was that easy for me to get it, shouldn't it be easier for a gun shop to get stuff that they deal with every day? I understand the business side of inventories but if you want to stay in business, customer service is priority one.

I am a new gun owner. Bought my first handgun this past weekend. Frankly, I was nervous about going into a gun shop.

I went into Guns & Leather in Greenbier TN on Friday around 2pm. The place was packed and I got the last parking place. There was a crush of folks in the store. Seems like everyone knew everyone. It was loud with all the chatter and phones ringing off the wall. I stood at the counter perusing the 1911's. I knew they were busy and thought I'd just wait my turn. A couple of minutes later, and older fella (well a few years older than me) came over to me and asked if he could help. Super nice guy, think his name was Mike. He made sure I was getting to see what I wanted and he answered my questions. There were a few folks there that seemed impatient and somewhat crowded the counter a bit, so I backed off. Mike still kept his eye on me to make sure he was available to me. Guns and Leather is definitely on my approved shopping list! I didn't see what I was looking for but I'd go back to them.

On Saturday, I made the trek down to Hero Gear. First, Joe is the man! Also, kudos to Mike who helped me with accessories. Joe gave me the 1911 101 class at the counter, even though the place was full of other customers. He took his time and walked me through the different 1911 models. I found a used Kimber I just had to have!! I know Joe and team are there to make a living, but I felt I got a very fair deal. They have fun and they love what they do. I met the gunsmith too, who also fits in with the group. And yes, the Ferrari and the monster F250 Soupa Dooty are parked out front! Hero-Gear is on my most preferred Mid TN gunshop. (Joe, I wished I could have taken home the SIS 4" like Mike wears)

All that to say that all three shops I shopped treated me courteously and with respect considering I'm a green horn at this. I didn't see anyone being brushed off or mistreated or ignored. They know we have choices.

Here it is, the chance you've all wanted.

The chance to step to the other side of the counter and spend a day selling guns.

What am I talking about? I'm offering one lucky TGO member who is not presently employed by, related to or BFF with anyone who owns/works/listed on an FFL in a gun store to come on down this Saturday (Feb. 7, 2009) and spend a fun filled day (or until you get sick of it our until I think you've had enough and let you up) working at a real live gunstore.

You will recieve a brand new Coal Creek Armory T-shirt to wear and maybe even a CCA hat!

***There will be no monitary compensation, and you will have to sign our standard non-disclosure agreement. ***

What do you have to lose? Shoot me your name in a PM and I'll pick one lucky member this Thursday at 5pm to "join the crew for a day!"

*All ATF regulations/limitations apply. Must be 21+ years of age and have a valid TN Driver License.

Yes. I'm serious. Get your name in the hat early, there is only 1 space available and I most likely won't make this offer again.

Guest shortfri

I would take you up on that, but a t-shirt and free hat isn't worth putting up with some of the crap you guys deal with. This is a two sided coin. Sometimes it's the shops fault, and others it's the buyers fault. And it's in every business. As part of a paintball sponsorship i worked the counter in a large paintball store from time to time. I had a guy come in one day and compare and tell me how much cheaper he could buy every item in the display case off e-bay. I never discussed the shipping charges with him. Sometimes it's hard to hold your thoughts and smile.

The chance to step to the other side of the counter and spend a day selling guns.

What am I talking about? I'm offering one lucky TGO member who is not presently employed by, related to or BFF with anyone who owns/works/listed on an FFL in a gun store to come on down this Saturday (Feb. 7, 2009) and spend a fun filled day (or until you get sick of it our until I think you've had enough and let you up) working at a real live gunstore.

You will recieve a brand new Coal Creek Armory T-shirt to wear and maybe even a CCA hat!

***There will be no monitary compensation, and you will have to sign our standard non-disclosure agreement. ***

What do you have to lose? Shoot me your name in a PM and I'll pick one lucky member this Thursday at 5pm to "join the crew for a day!"

*All ATF regulations/limitations apply. Must be 21+ years of age and have a valid TN Driver License.

Yes. I'm serious. Get your name in the hat early, there is only 1 space available and I most likely won't make this offer again.

Saturday is a B**** down at CCA! I can only image what you guys have to put up with.

Guest mikedwood

I would have loved to take you up on that offer about 8 months ago JPW.

But my gun store running last week was an experience. I took a day and made the rounds to Frontier, Coal Creek and Austin's Tennessee Firearms's and every one of them was slam almost out the door busy. I certainly couldn't handle it.

I don't think any firearms store in or around Knoxville is set up to be constantly busier than Walmart.

I'd love to drag out my video camera and do a video on the frenzy.

I'd love to drag out my video camera and do a video on the frenzy.

Not to spoil anything, but if you wanted to video here on Tuesday after 3pm or Friday - Sunday you would have to take a shuttle bus from Turkey Creek.

Just for S&G I wish I could let that same person come to work with me for a day, and see how those same jackasses (customers) treat people(us, customer service types) when they arent behind a counter full of weapons, and that same jackass customer is late for their flight.....God Bless our RKBA, but I wish the right to free speech could be halted at times....heh..jk

I definately don't want to be on the otherside of the counter right now. I have worked in retail and know how some customers are. I consider myself to be a very polite and patient customer.

My rant in my earlier post about the shop in Franklin was based on this;

Weekday evening, not many customers, plenty of employee help available. The employee I sought out to help me wasn't helping anyone. He was sitting on a stool doing nothing, looking at the floor. For me, that's what made me mad.

If they had been covered up with customers, I wouldn't have even asked for help. It wasn't that important. I would have checked back on a later day. No big deal. Now I've got a bad attitude about the shop.

David

My wife says the shop in Franklin has the best selection of guns in the area, so it's a great place to shop and find what you want, look at it, then go buy it somewhere else cheaper, from nicer people!!!:death:
+1

They definately have a ton of guns. Lots to looks at on the accessory side as well, but too high on most stuff. I was in there a couple of weeks ago looking for a holster for my wife. They were out of what I was looking for. Asked an employee for help to see if they had anymore. He could have cared less to help me and didn't, so I left.

I know it was just a holster and not looking to buy an AR15 or something more expensive, but hey that's fine. What goes around comes around. My next gun won't come from there.

David

A few weeks ago when I was looking for a .40 EMP, I was told by a fellow member here that he had seen one a week or so prior at Franklin Gun Shop. I immediately called them and the guy on the phone proceeded to tell me that Springfield has never made the EMP in .40 s&w!!! What a dumba$$!!! I told him he was wrong and that they definitely do make them and that they actually had one in stock a week or so ago. He got major attitude and basically treated me like I was the moron instead of him. I'll NEVER buy anything from that place and will continue to tell as many people as I can what idiots they have working there. Rant off.

Thats a heck of an offer JWP. I am sure you will get some eager applicants.

Someone ought to do a reality TV show based on a gunshop. Similar to the tattoo shows and motorcycle shops they feature on shows. I can't believe it is already not being done.

Someone ought to do a reality TV show based on a gunshop. Similar to the tattoo shows and motorcycle shops they feature on shows. I can't believe it is already not being done.

Funny you mention that. There is going to be one and we are among the 5 finalists for the project.......... so, keep your fingers crossed that we get it!