Kimber EVO

NickinTN

If I had the discretionary income at the moment, probably so. 

That being said I don't see it being a "better" option than a Sig P365, so it's really like making the choice between a $800 1911 versus a $1800 one.  If you see the value in the all metal construction, fit and finish and overall feel then it may be worth it to  you.  A quality piece for sure but from a purely "value for function" perspective it's overpriced.  

• Like 1

I would have to wait a while before buying a Kimber Evo. The only other striker fired they have ever made is the Solo. It did not turn out well and was discontinued in 2017 because of all the problems with it. They make a great 1911 but the jury is still out about how this new striker fired pistol will perform. By the way, it is a great looking  pistol.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one.  I wanted the Solo, but from the first, there was a steady string of reports that the guns wouldn't work, and that trips back to Kimber seldom were successful in making them work.  I hope the EVO does better.  It's a great size.

Cheers,

Whisper

These things are showing up on Gunbroker now at surprising prices.  One went for $685 last night, which is well below MSRP.

Has anyone seen any genuine reviews of this gun, or does anyone have any personal experience? 

Thanks,

Whisper 

What local gun shops have these things in stock now?  I need to see one and handle it.

Because of the wretched Solo, I am going to be cautious about the EVO.  But the Kimber Micro 9 had some bad reports early on, and it apparently got straightened out.  One of my brothers bought a Micro 9 two years ago and it runs like a top.  I've shot it and was pleasantly surprised by its accuracy at 25 yards.  I also decided it's probably the smallest 9mm semiauto I would want to carry; any smaller and it would be difficult to manipulate for someone with my size hands.  Since the EVO is essentially a striker-fired Micro 9 (they even use the same magazines and holsters) I'm thinking the EVO would be great candidate for a hideout gun.

1 hour ago, Whisper said:

What local gun shops have these things in stock now?  I need to see one and handle it.

Because of the wretched Solo, I am going to be cautious about the EVO.  But the Kimber Micro 9 had some bad reports early on, and it apparently got straightened out.  One of my brothers bought a Micro 9 two years ago and it runs like a top.  I've shot it and was pleasantly surprised by its accuracy at 25 yards.  I also decided it's probably the smallest 9mm semiauto I would want to carry; any smaller and it would be difficult to manipulate for someone with my size hands.  Since the EVO is essentially a striker-fired Micro 9 (they even use the same magazines and holsters) I'm thinking the EVO would be great candidate for a hideout gun.

Of course the Micro 9 is hammer fired, not striker fired like the Solo or EVO. Having said that I have been carrying a Micro 9 for two years and it has been perfect,  it is accurate and very easy to conceal. At just over 15 ozs. not bad for a 9mm.

• Like 1

I'm new. Thought I would throw my two cents in. I've had a solo for about three years. I had a problem with it at first with a few jams. I called Kimber and I talked to him and I found out from them that I needed a fire at least 250 to 300 rounds through the gun. After doing that it has done a wonderful job. So as a striker fire I love it. So the new Striker fire Evo you should be a fine gun as well. I just put one in layaway yesterday and I'm excited about getting the chance to shoot it. Looking forward to reading some of the articles on this site. If I had one place in this country I would want to move it would be Tennessee.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, A.J. Holst said:

Pic?

It's in lay away till Sunday. But I will send a pic.

I want to add that my solo really did not experience the jamming until I started using the extended clip, and won't use it unless I just load 6. However the clip extension is a nice feature, when gripping. Extremely accurate.

Shoots 115 grain all day, I also own a sports bar, so I carry all the time. Dependability is a must.

Thanks for responding, just had major shoulder surgery, so I have time, I liked this site.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Prybar said:

Ye ha! Picked it up today. Not a real good pic. I don't have the strength yet, to pull the slide back to get the plug out. About another 3 months.

Sorry about that I guess I don't know how to upload pictures yet.

• 1 month later...

So a quick 50 after I got home and I have to say.... this thing is sweet. Trigger feels lighter than they claim, handles like a dream. Can't wait to get a few more rounds through it and then start carrying it. Holster is already on the way

The story I looked at said it weighs about 2 OZ less than a shield. So without me going and looking up the numbers…if its all metal it must be smaller than a Shield??

Of course it would certainly be smaller than 2 Shields; or one full size target Kimber, which would be about the same price point. :lol:

Just kiddin’. I love Kimber quality, wish I could justify that Kimber K6S DASA.

46 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

The story I looked at said it weighs about 2 OZ less than a shield. So without me going and looking up the numbers…if its all metal it must be smaller than a Shield??

Of course it would certainly be smaller than 2 Shields; or one full size target Kimber, which would be about the same price point. :lol:

Just kiddin’. I love Kimber quality, wish I could justify that Kimber K6S DASA.

Just checked specs on both pistols. They are practically the same weight, height and length.  But MSRP is $1047 vs $479. Of course we all know MSRP is meaningless. Right now Bud’s is selling the Sheild for $283 and the Kimber Evo for $751 ( other models are well north of $800). Kinda doubting that there is $468 difference between the two.  But I’m very price conscious.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Moped said:

Just checked specs on both pistols. They are practically the same weight, height and length.  But MSRP is $1047 vs $479. Of course we all know MSRP is meaningless. Right now Bud’s is selling the Sheild for $283 and the Kimber Evo for $751 ( other models are well north of $800). Kinda doubting that there is $468 difference between the two.  But I’m very price conscious.

Why spend $283 when you could get a Hi-Point for $180? 😎

Holster arrived Sat, nice fit and tucks nicely iwb. Few hundred more rounds with some defense rounds in the mix and it will go into the rotation.