TAURUS Announced Lifetime Warranty (again)

PAULSHOOT

The following Taurus handguns, previously covered under a one-year warranty, will now be covered under a Limited Lifetime Warranty:
Taurus® G2c, G2s, TH series, Taurus TX22, 1911 Commander, 1911 Officer, Taurus Spectrum®, Raging Hunter®, 856, and 692 revolvers.

Original purchasers of a Taurus firearm covered by a one-year warranty will be pleased to learn their firearm will be covered under this new Limited Lifetime Warranty.

All legacy firearms covered under the original lifetime warranty will remain covered by that warranty.

• Like 1

I received my TAURUS Spectrum back after 'repair' Mar 7, they received it Jan 4 (promised 12 weeks and had about 8 weeks).

I reported the 'repair' details in the topic on the Spectrum. Briefly it now had 2 Fail to Fire out of 68 rounds (fired second trigger pull) compared to 30 to 40% Fail to Fire on the first 52 rounds when new.  

Their letter with return verifies the Lifetime Warranty. My gun was bought in Dec 2018 when the 1 year warranty was in effect (so, they upgraded it). 

Deer Customer, 

Your firearm has been returned under our Lifetime Repair Policy

Edited by PAULSHOOT

So what will you do now? Serious question here.

I cannot say I'm real impressed with the way this has gone for you. I had given a little thought to buying one. I liked the feel of the Spectrum, but your results may top the interest I had for it.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, hipower said:

I cannot say I'm real impressed with the way this has gone for you. I had given a little thought to buying one. I liked the feel of the Spectrum, but your results may top the interest I had for it.

Same for me.  I don't see me giving up my LCP for this anytime soon.  And I like my two Taurii (627 .357 Mag and PT111 G2).

23 hours ago, hipower said:

Yeah, solid pass on the Spectrum. 

The saga continues.  WEIRD

BIG DISAPPOINTMENT -  TAURUS Spectrum 380

I just got it back from TAURUS as "repaired" on Mar 7 for mainly a Fail to Fire. That fix seems pretty good (still had 2 Fail to Fire on first test THU, Mar 7 in like 68 round test, not that it matters). 

HOWEVER, THU, Mar 14, had many many Fail to Feed (nearly every round). That after having not one Fail to Feed at BUD's Range last THU. 

The bullet lodges head first and level into the feed ramp (puts a gouge in the front of the bullet just above the point of the bullet). It is also still in the MAG, found can rack the slide back  a fraction and it loads.

So, it's shoot, rack, shoot, rack, shoot - etc.etc. GROAN

It did load on maybe 5 of 20 rounds.

Mostly good advice on here - get rid of it. 🤔 I really don't need it (don't care for 380s), just bought it cause of wanting to get rid of the High Point 380 and the deal of trading the Hi Point for a $135 gun - was $169.99 minus a $35 rebate).

😍 IT IS a CUTE Little Thing (LOL), has good ergonomics and thought I might have a use for a Pocket Carry some day (doubtful) despite more expensive AMMO. It is kind of fun to shoot (would be nice if it all worked every time).  

Anyway, I might mess with it awhile by contacting Taurus again, or adjust the Feed Ramp (thinking of filing a sort of u-shape at bottom of the ramp - might loose the warranty on that)  or open the lip on the MAG.

One guy bent his MAG opening to allow the bullets to be sloped up more and solved his problem. That said, my first round appears to set at a good angle, the subsequent ones set in the MAG to level, but would think they would get angled up when they move to the first position.  

PS: DANG Hard to Understand why a gun would NO Fail to Feed and a week later Fail to Feed say 80% of the time and just rack it a slight amount and the round loads OK.

Shoot, Rack Shoot, Rack ain't good, it is kind of like a bolt action self defense gun. LOL   
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, Moped said:

Sounds like a mag problem to me. Take that thing back to Buds and trade it for a Ruger LCP if you want a pocket .380.

My LCP has been 100% functional since it was purchased in 2012.  If a gun fails when needed, a lifetime warranty may not be long enough.

Edited by tnhawk
  • Like 1

A quick reload, single shot Derringer is not my idea of a good defensive firearm, especially since it's supposed to be an auto-loader.

Worse, after warranty service, is distressing, you'd think they'd have the higher skill level gunsmiths in that department.

You may have a lemon. Keep returning it on their dime, or be the squeaky wheel, and they may replace it.

Its worth zero as is, so work Taurus' Warranty for Life.

Side note, have 2 acquaintances with excellent reliability from other Taurus models.

Edited by A.J. Holst

I have been covering the Spectrum effort under another topic and really don;t want to repeat the details.  Sort of got topic digressed as was to inform about the new warranty policy being lifetime. 

I will add as far as the Spectrum is concerned, I went back to the range March 17 and had same issue of Fail to Feed about 40 or 50% of the time that I had march 14. Taht after a march 7 (when gun was returned to me) a run of 68 rounds with no Fail To Feed. 

HOWEVER, I now realize (think I am right), it is a Slide Lock Back during shooting problem. I can rack the slide and the round loads after one of those stoppages.

CHAT with TAURUS (web site Chat) to day, March 18), and explained what I thought was happening. Also, noted my Lock Back Lever is free to move up and down controlled by gravity.

They said a spring should hold it down when shooting. I cannot see where a spring would be in the Frame and there is no spring force on the lever.  They said send it in will send me a shipping label. 

I am gonna verify that is the problem (Slide Lock Back by the lever moving UP somehow - CRAZY even if gravity is the only thing holding it down that it would jump up and Lock Slide Back). Assuming that is the problem, I will  secure the lever down and see if the gun runs OK.

Make sure the only problem is the Lock Back and then send it to Taurus.  

• 2 weeks later...

I finally made the decision to send the Spectrum 380 back to TAURUS for the Slide Lock Back during shooting problem. They received it April 2 with usual statement up to 12 weeks for return. Last time it was 8 weeks. 

It took me awhile to determine that it was a Slide Lock back (with the slide lock back Lever moving up to cause the Lock Back while shooting), I at first was calling it a Fail To Feed. That is a long story and want go into all that, but let's say due to my lack of Gun Smith Skills LOL. 

Anyway, I thought it happened because the bullet rising in the MAG was contacting the inner TAB (the one the Follower pushes up to cause a Lock Back on an empty MAG). There is a very close clearance there I was able to determine with the slide off and slowly pushing a loaded MAG up into the handle (simulate a rising bullet in the MAG). 

A bullet set in the rear of the MAG does clear the TAB. but one that is slightly FWD (say 1/8 inch) of the rear of the MAG will hit the Inner Tab and push the Lock Back Lever UP. 

Then the last time I shot it before sending it in -- I had a Lock Back after firing the 1st and 4th round with both the 6 and 7 RD MAGS that come with the gun. In each case I looked at the bullet in the MAG after the Lock Back and it was at the rear of the MAG. 

So, that shot down my theory that the upcoming bullet had to be a bit (say 1/8 inch FWD) of the rear of the MAG to hit the Inner TAB.  

A new thought is the Lever has very little spring tension, you can see a spring, but cannot see if it is attached to the Lever to hold it down until either you or the Flower push the Lever UP. 

Perhaps the spring is broken or came loose because the gun fires OK if you tape the edge of the Lever to the frame. It does not take much pressure to keep it down. 

So, why does it come up when firing if not pushed up by a rising bullet in the MAG -- maybe just recoil vibration or something. 

Anyway, it was sent back. I MIGHT ADD --- the Fail To Fire it was originally sent back for a FIX seems to be fixed. I did have 2 Fail To Fires (fired second trigger pull) with about 100 rounds sent down range.   

4 minutes ago, tnhawk said:

Life to too short to own a bad Taurus.

Corrected that for you.

Paulshoot...time to let it go. Do whatever you have to. If Taurus CS gets it right this time. Move it on.

This coming from the owner of several Taurus pistols.

• Like 1

Will see how it goes in future as to if I keep it or not (guess would have to trade it in a a dealer if don't keep it).  

Not crazy about 380 Caliber anyway (cost of AMMO compared to 9MM is a big factor to me).

Apparently, the Spectrum is not one of their better designs at least until fixed after initial MFG.