M&P 10 - FTF w/Steel Case Ammo

Twin

So I tried running some Wolf steel case through the M&P 10 I got the other day, and it won't eat it. My research had indicated it wouldn't be a problem, but here I am. Does everyone here run brass? Or am I going to be compelled to try five different steel loads to see if it likes any of them?

FTF.jpg

FTFA.jpg

• Moderators

Gotta second Capbyrd about the lube and trying different mags to ensure it isn’t a mag issue. Other than that, I’ve got nothing for the ammo itself as I don’t feed steel to any of my guns. 

On 3/7/2019 at 5:08 PM, Capbyrd said:

1.   She looks dry.   Get some lube in there.   
2.  Tried multiple mags?  

On 3/8/2019 at 1:40 PM, Magiccarpetrides said:

BCG looks a bit dry and dirty...clean it, lube it, and report back!

I lubed it pretty aggressively, and the issue nearly went away. 

I had one FTF, but the rest of the mag was sent just fine. Last round hold open also failed. But that's progress from not feeding at all. I'll clean it thoroughly and lube it up some more, and see if the issue goes away entirely.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Twin said:

I lubed it pretty aggressively, and the issue nearly went away. 

I had one FTF, but the rest of the mag was sent just fine. Last round hold open also failed. But that's progress from not feeding at all. I'll clean it thoroughly and lube it up some more, and see if the issue goes away entirely.

Tried different mags yet? 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

Tried different mags yet? 

11 hours ago, Magiccarpetrides said:

I second this

No, I only have pmags. But the last round hold open failing did start me thinking that perhaps the mag doesn't sit high enough. Thus causing the rounds to get stripped out of the mag willy nilly, as well as the follower not being high enough to engage the hold open mechanism.  In addition, sometimes it will fail to strip a round from mag entirely, and I'll be met with a click, and have to cycle the action.

I was under the impression Pmags were quality AR-10 magazines. Any recommendations?

Edited by Twin
13 hours ago, Twin said:

No, I only have pmags. But the last round hold open failing did start me thinking that perhaps the mag doesn't sit high enough. Thus causing the rounds to get stripped out of the mag willy nilly, as well as the follower not being high enough to engage the hold open mechanism.  In addition, sometimes it will fail to strip a round from mag entirely, and I'll be met with a click, and have to cycle the action.

I was under the impression Pmags were quality AR-10 magazines. Any recommendations?

my experience has been they are overall good but they do have their slip ups from time to time....I would highly suggest trying a different brand if you can find one for cheap just to rule that out.... S&W's are usually pretty much GTG in my experience.

• Like 1