Steelharp

Is this a legal sign?

This is what they have at Vandy I'm just curious.

0308191249.jpg

(i)  A sign prohibiting possession in accordance with subdivision (a)(1)(A) shall include the phrase "NO FIREARMS ALLOWED", and the phrase shall measure at least one inch (1") high and eight inches (8") wide. The sign shall also include the phrase "As authorized by T.C.A. § 39-17-1359".

(ii)  The sign shall include a pictorial representation of the phrase "NO FIREARMS ALLOWED" that shall include a circle with a diagonal line through the circle and an image of a firearm inside the circle under the diagonal line. The entire pictorial representation shall be at least four inches (4") high and four inches (4") wide. The diagonal line shall be at a forty-five degree (45 degrees) angle from the upper left to the lower right side of the circle.

So, the short answer is "YES." Thanks, though, good info!

Looks like a screwdriver would solve that problem :D

• Like 4

2 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

Looks like a screwdriver would solve that problem :D

except that it is Vanderbilt, which is a school...

Edited by KahrMan

1 hour ago, Steelharp said:

So, the short answer is "YES." Thanks, though, good info!

I thought it was a trick question lmao

Removed post.

Edited by volshayes

16 hours ago, KahrMan said:

except that it is Vanderbilt, which is a school...

A private school which can now allow carry as of a few years ago.

7 minutes ago, macville said:

A private school which can now allow carry as of a few years ago.

Really?  How did I miss that. Are you saying that if a school does not post that you can leagally carry on school property?  Can you point me to the new law. 

Thanks

45 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

Really?  How did I miss that. Are you saying that if a school does not post that you can leagally carry on school property?  Can you point me to the new law. 

Thanks

I'll say google "Campus Carry Tennessee". Looks like employees (with a HCP) are the only folks that can carry. Students and visitors are not, can be stowed in a vehicle though.

https://www.armedcampuses.org/tennessee/

Private schools can set up their own policy, K-12, as well as higher education.  There may still be posting of their choosing.  In general, unless their policy permits, one cannot carry on that property.  Public higher schools, UT, Pellissippi, etc., only employees that meet specific criteria my carry concealed.  General public may possess in auto, out of sight.  In general.  Read specific law.

If there is going to be an enhanced handgun carry permit, we need it to be a real enhanced handgun carry permit so that these type of questions and concerns about carrying at schools and silly signs do not have to come up anymore for good people trying to protect themselves.

Contact the NRA and your legislators and encourage them to amend the enhanced carry permit bill to provide an exemption for the new enhanced permits to carry on school property and also be exempt from the no gun sign weapon crime.  If we cannot get that, there is not any point to these new enhanced permits in my opinion.  

That is the whole point!  There is NO change with the current permit except in name only.  That is being done for a new, watered down permit.  IMO in the long run it will hurt all current holders . 

• Like 2

It's the hospital, not the school.

Still a teaching facility just like UT hospital.  Even employees who reported to campus police cannot carry in medical facilities.

Unless you are dying of something only Vandy treats, you're probably better off avoiding their sort.