CZ 75 Full Size or Tristar 120

quedz

2 minutes ago, hughd said:

Trying to decide which one. I have done quite a bit of "research" and found a lot of contradictory information and opinions. Any of you have any first hand experience/input? The Canik is $120 less.

CZ. They make outstanding firearms, and have for quite a while now.

• Like 1

I have several Czs. Poly and steel frame models. No complaints about any of them. I don't shoot 1000's of rounds thru them, but all work reliably and are great shooters.

Of course the steel frame guns are softer shooters, but the weight makes carry with them a difficult proposition for me. The smaller models like the 75 compact, the RAMI, and the PCR are really nice size carry pistols.

As for the TriStar 120, an early Canik model from what I understand; I have no personal knowledge. I'd like to have one to try.

The current Canik models like the TP9 series...I absolutely adore! I have a TP9sa and an SFx model. Great pistols. Ergonomics are great(for me, anyway), the trigger is wonderful. Has a short and very audible reset "click" making double-taps or sting fire super easy. 

I'd have a hard time saying which of the TP9 or the HKVP9 or the Walther PPQ is the best. All meet the comments I made above, and all are great range and house guns for me.

You mentioned the T120 being 120 less than the CZ. Price is important, that is true. In the current market, I probably would go with the CZ

Looking a bit, I found the T120 on classicfirearms.com for 360. Gun Broker has starting prices around that, and Bud's is 379.

Seeing all this, I'm very tempted to go for one! lol

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
22 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I find the brand name to almost always be the better investment.

I can't really disagree with you, but on the basis of the T120 and the CZ75...I'm still open to discussion. lol

I've bought pretty much on "like" and "feel" criteria for the vast majority of my pistols.

I can't really say I've bought an "investment" firearm more than once or twice. I really don't have the money to do that, I just like having and shooting them.

That being said, I do have several items that I'd say are purely defensive purposed; and the others just range toys. But few have any real high$ value as an investment. 

I have a couple of Smiths that might qualify under that, but not bought for that purpose. I was around Smiths growing up, and just like the pre-lock revolvers.

LOL I guess I could say that about all of them.

Back to the OP's original question...I'd prefer a CZ in most cases over the Tristar/Canik pistols.

Not a set in stone rule for me though. I'm very fickle in my pistol tastes.

After re-reading the original post, I see that hughd did specify the CZ75 as being the pistol he was comparing the T120 with. So I have modified some things I said, and added and deleted a comment or two.

In short. Yes...CZ75 first, and the Tristar T120 later. But not written off completely. lol

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

The TriStar aspires to be CZexy.

I recently learned the 75B is one of the most copied pistols on the market, something to due with a lack of copyright.

Having started with CZ, I never really looked at any of the alternates.

If mags and some parts are compatible, I see no reason to not to save a few dollars. A $150-$200 savings = training and ammo

Fall in love with the platform and want to make it better, you will more than likely have to buy a CZ for custom gunsmithing and parts for DIY projects.

Edited by A.J. Holst

I'm a big CZ fan, but I'm also a big fan of "value"  or getting the most for my dollar spent.

That being said I'd go with the CZ,  if nothing else just for the sheer amount of aftermarket support. Some items interchange, but a lot don't.

You should be able to find a 75B for around $450,  and  that's a ton of gun for the money.

All of course is just my opinion, which is held in high regard... by me. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, Moped said:

If you are just look at $120 in difference, go for the CZ.  If you have big mitts, you won't regret it. 

I have large hands but fingers are of medium length. So, do you know if the OEM rubber grips are any thinner than the plastic?

4 hours ago, hughd said:

I have large hands but fingers are of medium length. So, do you know if the OEM rubber grips are any thinner than the plastic?

Hakan Pek (Google Fu) are thin wood, the OEM plastics are about the smallest overall even with the slight palm swell.

I like the rubber grips, but they are the most bulky in my opinion

To ease the first DA pull, I carry both my DA/SA at half cock which is the same resting position after engaging the decocker on my SDP.

Maybe aluminum panels, they're pretty thin.

You can also shorten the reach and reset on non-Omega models with Cajun Gun Works or CZ Custom (only two I've used)

Edited by A.J. Holst
6 hours ago, hughd said:

Stick with the wood or plastic panels. This pistol is heavy enough to dampen most of the recoil. No need to get recoil absorbing rubber grips.

The CZ75 B is one of the best shooting pistols I’ve ever shot. But it’s a big pistol, from the era when most automatics were big, heavy and made of steel. I found that I had an issue with having to change my grip on the pistol, when engaging the safety.  I’m a big guy with medium sized hands. So I ended up selling it to a co-worker.  He absolutely loves it. I prefer my FNH FNS. 

BUT right now, I also have my eye on a Rami and also CZ75 P01. 🙂

7 hours ago, hughd said:

The stock rubber grips are fantastic... the hard plastic ones are terrible. 

The aluminum ones are great, a bit pricey as you'll spend 25% of the price of the gun to get a pair 

Best grips for the money are LOK, choose the style based off your personal preference as far as texture goes. If you like the feel of the stock grips then go with the palm swell version. If you want as thin as possible go with the non-palm swell

Hakan Pek grips are works of art, but he no longer makes them and they look better than they provide grip (still enough to function but not great for a long range day in the heat, plus you wouldn't want to ding them they look so good!) 

While you have the grips off change out the hammer spring to lower the DA/SA pull, Cajun Gun works is usually how I order from. It's a 2 minute job and makes a big difference. 

Pictures are a matte 75B with Hakan grips and a railed 75 compact with LOK bogies in back/white 

matte3.JPG

cz1.jpg

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Moped said:

Stick with the wood or plastic panels. This pistol is heavy enough to dampen most of the recoil. No need to get recoil absorbing rubber grips.

The CZ75 B is one of the best shooting pistols I’ve ever shot. But it’s a big pistol, from the era when most automatics were big, heavy and made of steel. I found that I had an issue with having to change my grip on the pistol, when engaging the safety.  I’m a big guy with medium sized hands. So I ended up selling it to a co-worker.  He absolutely loves it. I prefer my FNH FNS. 

BUT right now, I also have my eye on a Rami and also CZ75 P01. 🙂

Wish we weren't so far apart. I have a very nice and clean RAMI I'd sell to you.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, hughd said:

Thanks for the input. I went with the 75B Omega. After I pick it up and check it out I'll decide on the grips, sights, springs and such.

Great choice. As said by many...you really couldn't go wrong with any CZ.

1 hour ago, hughd said:

Thanks hipower, When I found it at $460ish shipped I couldn't help myself. Have not been to the range in years. Looking forward to getting back at it...

Good price. I think you'll really enjoy the Omega model. I do. lol

Next you'll be wanting the 97B...the 45 model. I foolishly let one get by me.

Edited by hipower
On 3/11/2019 at 2:07 PM, hughd said:

They are.  For me the original plastic was just a bit too thick.  Replaced with the rubbers and it’s much nicer.

1 hour ago, hughd said:

Thanks hipower, When I found it at $460ish shipped I couldn't help myself. Have not been to the range in years. Looking forward to getting back at it...

Great price and a fine choice for getting back out on the range.  You’ll be pleased with the natural accuracy right out of the box.

• Like 1
On 3/11/2019 at 9:06 PM, NickinTN said:

While you have the grips off change out the hammer spring to lower the DA/SA pull, Cajun Gun works is usually how I order from. It's a 2 minute job and makes a big difference.  

Nick, if I change the hammer spring should I also install a reduced power firing pin spring? Also, what are your thoughts on a reduced power trigger return spring as well?

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 4:18 PM, hughd said:

Maybe, but at this point I'm thinking C-100...

Darn you!!! I bought a T100 today.

I think I did well on it. We shall see when it arrives. lol

Comments on it next week. 

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, hughd said:

Nick, if I change the hammer spring should I also install a reduced power firing pin spring? Also, what are your thoughts on a reduced power trigger return spring as well?

Here's what I would recommend (and actually do as a minimum on all my CZs) - Ultra Lite kit from Cajun Gun works.  You should always replace the firing pin retaining pin as  they will chew up and can cause issues. If you are going to do that you might as well change the firing pin and firing pin spring. This will also let you run the 11.5# hammer spring.