What safe are your using in your truck? And what do you secure it too?

So I am looking to get a little gun safe to put in the truck (Silverado 1500) - just wondering what you are using and how you fix it to the truck. There is a caveat with this, I don't want it bolted directly into the truck, so would want to use something that allows for a cable.

I was going to looking for something under the back seats that goes directly to the truck that I could attached the cable to.

If you don't think this would be a good option, or even not permitted please let me know.  Would love to hear your thoughts.  I was looking at this, seemed to get good reviews.  Was not 100% sure if a cable attachment would be legal. 

Edited by ShaggyRS6

I have a couple of the cheapies from Harbor Freight.  They look a lot like the one that Ronald_55 mentioned, but i paid almost 20.00 for them.  Mine attached via a cable that loops through an attachment point.  My vehicle has a series of cargo rings in the back and I currently have it attached to one of those.  I am not happy with that though as I have to exit the vehicle to stow the weapon, and Id rather not broadcast to the world what Im doing.  My front seats are not high enough though to attach it there.  I may look at some kind of inside the console lock or box, eventually.

Edited by Defender
  • Like 1

If you read the law pertaining to it is a little misleading , because it’s starts of by saying that you can store the weapon in a locked glove compartment, but then goes on to say that it has to be in a lockable source attached to the vehicle. 

6 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

As far as I know the law just says "secured" without specifics.

Someone, maybe @Oh Shoot , could give us a more expert opinion. 

2 hours ago, ShaggyRS6 said:

If you read the law pertaining to it is a little misleading , because it’s starts of by saying that you can store the weapon in a locked glove compartment, but then goes on to say that it has to be in a lockable source attached to the vehicle. 

What law are you referring to?

• Like 1

Tenn Code Ann. 39-17-1313

First paragraph, section 1, bullet point B

Is kept from ordinary observation and locked within the trunk, glove box, or interior of the persons motor vehicle or a container securely affixed to such motor vehicle if the permit holder is not in the motor vehicle.

And just to be clear, I am interested in taking my handgun to work but leaveing  it in the car, in the parking garage.

Edited by ShaggyRS6
15 minutes ago, ShaggyRS6 said:

But that’s not what it says though Chuck? Unless I am misreading it?

ChuckT is correct.  The vehicle itself is a locked container...as long as it’s locked of course.

in other words you could lock it up in the glove compartment, trunk, or some kind of attached lockbox, leave the car unlocked, and you are still in compliance.

Additionally, you could lock it up in a truckbed toolbox and still be good.

Tecnically, you could even chain a safe to the bumper and have it dangling in the breeze.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, ShaggyRS6 said:

Is kept from ordinary observation and locked within the trunk, glove box, or interior of the persons motor vehicle or a container securely affixed to such motor vehicle if the permit holder is not in the motor vehicle.

The bolded part above makes it seem like a gun has to be locked in a container affixed to the vehicle if you leave it. 

13 minutes ago, TomInMN said:

The bolded part above makes it seem like a gun has to be locked in a container affixed to the vehicle if you leave it. 

It does not.  It clearly say OR after the preceding scenarios.

There are four options:

1.  Locked in trunk

2.  Locked in glove box

3.  Anywhere inside the vehicle out of site, like under the seat, with the vehicle locked.

4.  Locked in something firmly affixed to the vehicle...interior or exterior.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I dont trust cables...they're to easy to cut. Steel cable bike locks are easy to defeat with electrical cable cutters. The cable that is used for most in car lock boxes isn't any better. 

They arent much more secure than just locking the doors. If you choose a safe bolt it or chain it.

My 2 cents. 

11 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

As far as I know the law just says "secured" without specifics.

Someone, maybe @Oh Shoot , could give us a more expert opinion. 

Garufa covered it in his posts.

I'd posit the "container securely affixed to such motor vehicle" primarily had motorcycles in mind.

- OS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have one of the cable attached, key locked boxes. After buying it, it occurred to me that anyone cable of breaking into a car will likely have no issue getting into a flimsy sheet metal box. So unless the box is hidden somewhere not obvious, there's really not much point.

Locked inside the vehicle is fine, as long as it is out of sight.  The method of security is simply a personal choice.  Academy has several such cases which offer very good security with thicker cables.  Certainly better than a glove box.  If you are concerned about crossing state lines where your gun is not welcomed, a lockable case inside the truck is a must.  Furthermore, no ammo in the gun or passenger compartment.

• Like 1