Heavy snubbie revolver

Refleks

I purchased a Tomcat 3032 for my mother thinking the tip up barrel would allow her to load and unload without having to rack the slide, which she has significant difficulty doing due to age (nearing her 70s),  as well as grip and arm weakness from spinal surgery and arm surgery.  

I took It out to the range and unfortunately out of four magazines I had two stovepipes.  Maybe mag related, or ammo related (they don’t recommend hotter ammo because of their reputation for cracking the frame) but either way it turned me off to the thing because she won’t realistically be able to clear a malfunction under stress with it, so I plan on revisiting revolvers, which she seems to like and be more comfortable with.

Prior to this I had gotten her an Armscor M206, simple, ugly and no frills but it worked.  She shot well with it, but wasn’t entirely happy with it so we tried a Ruger LCR, but because it was so light it was quite unpleasant to shoot.  She’s not carrying it (for at home) so in retrospect the heavier revolver was the better choice in this case but we had already sold it before trying the LCR unfortunately.

So back to the drawing board.  I’m a semi auto guy so I don’t know a whole lot about revolvers, was just going to see if I can find another Armscor and be done with it, but thought I would ask here what revolvers are decent for the money and ideally have a little heft to them that would be worth considering. She prefers shorter barrel ones.

Edited by Refleks

My mother is of a similar age and due to arthritis can't really manipulate a pistol or revolver well. OTOH she can handle a Stoeger coach gun w/ no problem. The larger shotgun shells and easy break open action don't require much in the way of fine motor control. She sleeps w/ it next to the bed. It's only two shots but I pity the poor fool who tries to mess w/ her.

• Like 2

Any J-frame Smith & Wesson or Ruger SP101will fit the bill of a small revolver. They are both high quality and proven performers. But they are light and will have heavy recoil. 

If you could find a used K-frame Smith & Wesson like the 10,15,19,66; that would be the ticket. They are making the Model 66 again. Ruger makes the SP101 in 9mm now; that would help.

There are plenty of options in quality revolvers, but as Whisper said, they all are pricey. In the K or L frame S&W revolvers you are looking at around ~500 used to ~700 new. J frames are less, but I doubt she would be happy with that small of a revolver shooting a good defensive round.

Take her to a gun store and let her handle a 4” 686. If she likes the feel of that; home defense revolvers just don’t get any better. Most gun stores will have it in stock.

Do some research to familiarize yourself with “J-frame”, “K-frame”, “L-frame”.

If you or her need to fire a weapon at another human being; whether you survive could depend on that weapon operating properly. I have a bunch of different handguns I carry depending on the application; mostly semi-auto. But the gun on my headboard doesn’t change; it’s a S&W 686 .357 mag 4” revolver.

• Like 1

Sounds like a similar situation to my late wife. For her the answer was a 2" S&W Model 30 in .32 S&W long. Its accurate, easy to handle, very low recoil and totally reliable. The .32 long ain't no powerhouse, but its better than nothing and will get the job done if you do your part. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Sounds like a similar situation to my late wife. For her the answer was a 2" S&W Model 30 in .32 S&W long. Its accurate, easy to handle, very low recoil and totally reliable. The .32 long ain't no powerhouse, but its better than nothing and will get the job done if you do your part. 

I had one of these little .32s and for a little snubbie, it was pretty accurate out to 25 yards!

5 hours ago, Chris said:

My mother is of a similar age and due to arthritis can't really manipulate a pistol or revolver well. OTOH she can handle a Stoeger coach gun w/ no problem. The larger shotgun shells and easy break open action don't require much in the way of fine motor control. She sleeps w/ it next to the bed. It's only two shots but I pity the poor fool who tries to mess w/ her.

Bought my wife a Stoger Coach gun several years ago. Said she wanted a "John Wayne" shotgun. lol

Never shot it. Hands just too weak now to support it.

Let’s go back to the Armscor M206.  What was she not happy with about it?  

It’s going to be in the weight range of a steel J-frame Smith or Ruger SP, the only real options for something with some power to soak up some of the recoil.

@Grayfox54 is right on with suggesting a Smith 30 (or 31, the square butt version).  Great weight, balance, and smooth actions.  They might only be .32 Long but you do get six shots and recoil is minimal.

If you can find a pencil barrel Smith Model 10 or equivalent (K frame) it might be the best option.  Anything heavier like a bull barrel K or any L frame is absurd...the woman is 70 years old after all.

There’s only one problem though.  The S&W’s just mentioned are longer made but are quite plentiful on the used market.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

I've watched several youtube videos on the Armscor/Rock Island 206 and 200 and very few are negative on these guns. I'd like to have a 200 myself. Also the 206 and 200 are 6 shot revolvers too. Don't see that in 2" revolvers much anymore.

15 hours ago, Whisper said:

If she wants a heavier revolver, think about the Ruger SP101 in .32 Mag.  Mild recoil, six rounds, and dependable.  The only problem is that they're expensive nowadays.  

They make the SP101 in .327 federal now. New price looks to be between $550 and $650, 6 roundd and can be had with 3" or 4" barrel. Can go from mild .32 long loads to close to .357 magnum.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, TomInMN said:

They make the SP101 in .327 federal now. New price looks to be between $550 and $650, 6 roundd and can be had with 3" or 4" barrel. Can go from mild .32 long loads to close to .357 magnum.

Fujimo has 3 SPs for sale in the trading post. .327,  .38/.357,  9mm

• Like 1

Bought a Ruger sp101 2 1/4" barrel for my granddaughter's  birthday gift last fall at Rural King. She picked it up and said this is the one I want, fit her hand just right. Been working on loads the last couple of weeks for it. She will use it to qualify for her handgun permit. Tried titewad, tightgroup and Win 231 using standard sp primers  and 145 wc boolits [149grs after powder coating]. Started at 2.6 gr and worked down .2 grs all the way down to 1.2 grs with all three powder, with .005 crimp in last lube groove.. Best accuracy was with Win 231 at 1.4 grs and 1.6 grs, shooting at 30 ft off hand. Really no recoil and low noise.  My  conclusion, would be a really good home defense gun with low recoil and  noise. That 145 wc lead bullet will pack a bad wallop and not shoot throught too many walls. If you have ever experienced gunfire in a small enclosure, you're in for a surprise from the fireball and noise, will disable you somewhat, if you are older. You can easily become disoriented, that is why I don't believe you need a heavy mag caliber or a shotgun to use in home defense. Am now testing these loads in 38 spl for use in my chiefs special bedside pistol. For all you naysayer that don't believe the .357/.358 bullet will do the job to stop a bad guy, bullet placement is supreme. Have put down 1200 lb downer cows with 22 cal hand guns, bullet placement is supreme. Your Mother needs to practice with what ever you decide on and become confident in her ability to shoot the firearm and hit what she aims at. This is my experience doing the testing, but every one is different and you experience may be different from mine. One last thing about shotguns, long barrels are easier to deflect or grab, especially if you have to turn a corner or go through a doorway, than short barrel revolvers that you can hold down beside you and shoot with just pointing and shooting. My opinion is the 38 spl, 357 mag or the 32 Fed mag all make excellent home defense firearms, if you are confident in using them. In my opinion they also make an excellent carry gun, loaded with soft recoil wc bullets, easy to get back on target and will make a bad guys day miserable, but only if you can hit your target. The most important component of self defense is having the ability to actually aim and pull the trigger without hesitation.

Thanks for the recommendations!   I had never heard of the 32 Mag or the Federal so I need to do some more research.

She didn't have a problem with the double action trigger, but originally said the Armscor didn't feel right in the hand and it was hefty,  but after the LCR she preferred heavy to the perceived recoil of the lighter gun.    Long ago her father let her shoot one of his old revolvers and so we did a google image search to see if she could remember what it was, but we weren't able to narrow it down.  Probably an old Smith and Wesson of some sort.  I think maybe a grip replacement might do it, but first I'll take her to some of the gun stores and let her handle some of the others recommended here

20 hours ago, Garufa said:

Let’s go back to the Armscor M206.  What was she not happy with about it?  

It’s going to be in the weight range of a steel J-frame Smith or Ruger SP, the only real options for something with some power to soak up some of the recoil.

@Grayfox54 is right on with suggesting a Smith 30 (or 31, the square butt version).  Great weight, balance, and smooth actions.  They might only be .32 Long but you do get six shots and recoil is minimal.

If you can find a pencil barrel Smith Model 10 or equivalent (K frame) it might be the best option.  Anything heavier like a bull barrel K or any L frame is absurd...the woman is 70 years old after all.

There’s only one problem though.  The S&W’s just mentioned are longer made but are quite plentiful on the used market.

Sorry for getting a bit off track there. I've seen and held a couple of the RI/Armscor revolvers. The only negative comment I have, or have heard, is that the early models aren't nice and shiny like the Rugers and the Smith's. Functionally, they appear just fine. 

I don't need another small revolver, but these very much deserve a look for anyone looking for such a critter.

Edited by hipower
9 hours ago, Refleks said:

She ... originally said the Armscor didn't feel right in the hand...

Was the issue for her the way the gun balanced (top heavy, front heavy, both), the shape of the grip, the reach for her finger to the trigger?

Taurus 605. It's an all steel .357 with hammer. Put reduced power springs in it to lighten the double action pull and shoot 38 spl. I've owned one for  several years now, never had an issue, very accurate for its size too. Price is about $275.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2019 at 9:24 AM, subsonic said:

Taurus 605. It's an all steel .357 with hammer. Put reduced power springs in it to lighten the double action pull and shoot 38 spl. I've owned one for  several years now, never had an issue, very accurate for its size too. Price is about $275.

I bought a Stainless 605 a couple weeks ago. I like it a lot. Its a little rough with 158 gr .357 mags. but, still shot them good. A lot less recoil with a 158 gr. swc and 6.0 gr. Herco. Everything I've shot in it has shot good too.

Edited by Quavodus
  • Like 1

We ended up looking at and getting a used Taurus 605 at a local pawn shop here.  Shot it a bit today with some .38 special and she seems to be pleased with it with regards to the recoil,  so I'll probably sell off the little Tomcat.  Thank you for all the advice!  

I was planning on getting her a crimson trace laser grip for the Taurus, and she was fond of the idea as well -- while she is a proficient shooter on a static range (post-it note sized groups at 5 yards slow fire and good hits at 7), she doesn't get out to practice nearly enough and never under stress, so my theory is that in an actual encounter she will end up being target fixated and point shooting, so I'm thinking it could help, especially in low light and combined with aging eyes.   Not that it should be relied upon 100% of course (and she'll practice with irons as well).   Unfortunately, they apparently only fit the 605 made prior to 2014, and this one was made in 2017  so looks like that won't be an option.   The pawn shop had a Model 36-2 lady smith that was also steel for $140 more, and it looks like it might be easier to find a laser grip for that one, so I'm considering it still

Edited by Refleks
  • Like 3