Thompson contender

Prybar

I could use a little help. I listed the Thompson Contender under handguns because that's what I shoot although they make nice rifles and shotguns as well. I bought my Thompson Contender in about 1985, stainless steel with a .22 bull barrel , also a .223 barrel. Now that all these years have gone by I would like to buy a .308 Pistol barrel but I can't follow the model numbers interchangeability

. G1, G2, and the latest. Are they all interchangeable?

I'm thinking not. Just trying to locate the right one to fit. Trouble will probably be in finding one.

G1 & G2  will interchange most of  the  time.  I have seen some g2  bull barrels  not work well on g1   frames.   Hard to open and don't  lock up good.  If you are going  to  shoot  any big calibers  I would  go  with  the  12 inch or super14 barrel.  The 10 inch barrel  is a hand full with/in big calibers.  

9 hours ago, Prybar said:

Why did did they make them then? Just wandering.

They didn't.

"Calibers available for the Contender were initially limited, stopping just short of the .308 Winchester-class rifle cartridges. However, almost any cartridge from .22 Long Rifle through .30-30 Winchester is acceptable, as long as a peak pressure of 48,000 CUP is not exceeded. This flexibility prompted a boom in the development of wildcat cartridges suitable for the Contender, such as the 7-30 Waters and .357 Herrett and the various TCU cartridges, most of which were commonly based on either the widely available .30-30 Winchester or .223 Remington cases. The largest factory caliber offered for the Contender was the .45-70, which, although a much larger case than the .308, is still feasible because of the relatively low cartridge pressures of the original black-powder round relative to the limits of the bolt face of the Contender receiver. Custom gunmakers have added to the selection, such as the J. D. Jones line of JDJ cartridges based on the .225 Winchester and .444 Marlin. Other barrel makers pushed beyond the limits the factory set, and chambered Contender barrels in lighter .308-class cartridges like the .243 Winchester. The Contender can fire .410 bore shotgun shells, either through the .45 Colt/.410 barrel or through a special 21-inch (530 mm) smoothbore shotgun barrel. A ported, rifled, .44 Magnum barrel was made available for use with shotshell cartridges in a removable-choke .44 Magnum barrel, with the choke being used to unspin the shot from the barrel rifling, or, by removing the choke, for use with standard .44 Magnum cartridges. The degree of flexibility provided by the Contender design is unique for experimenting with new cartridges, handloads, barrel lengths, and shotshells.[2]

The original Contender is now known as the generation one (G1) Contender and was replaced by the G2 Contender in 1998. The new design is dimensionally the same as the original Contender, but uses an Encore-style trigger group. Due to the changes in the trigger mechanism, and to differences in the angle of the grip relative to the boreline of the gun, the buttstocks and pistol grips are different between the G1 and G2 Contenders and will not interchange. The G2 uses essentially the same barrels and fore-ends as the original Contender and barrels will interchange, with the only two exceptions being the G2 muzzleloading barrels, which will only fit the G2 frame, and the Herrett barrels/fore-ends, which are specific for use only on a G1 frame."

• Like 1
On 3/12/2019 at 7:38 PM, Prybar said:

Now that all these years have gone by I would like to buy a .308 Pistol barrel but I can't follow the model numbers interchangeability

If you really want a .308 T/C pistol then Encore is your option.

If you want to maximize your G1 or G2 frames then my suggestion is Bullberry Barrel Works.  Click Here: Bullberry

Here's a video of a guy shooting an Encore in .308, I think it's fairly lame recoil compared to my 45-70 Gubment barreled G1 T/C.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, hughd said:

They didn't.

"Calibers available for the Contender were initially limited, stopping just short of the .308 Winchester-class rifle cartridges. However, almost any cartridge from .22 Long Rifle through .30-30 Winchester is acceptable, as long as a peak pressure of 48,000 CUP is not exceeded. This flexibility prompted a boom in the development of wildcat cartridges suitable for the Contender, such as the 7-30 Waters and .357 Herrett and the various TCU cartridges, most of which were commonly based on either the widely available .30-30 Winchester or .223 Remington cases. The largest factory caliber offered for the Contender was the .45-70, which, although a much larger case than the .308, is still feasible because of the relatively low cartridge pressures of the original black-powder round relative to the limits of the bolt face of the Contender receiver. Custom gunmakers have added to the selection, such as the J. D. Jones line of JDJ cartridges based on the .225 Winchester and .444 Marlin. Other barrel makers pushed beyond the limits the factory set, and chambered Contender barrels in lighter .308-class cartridges like the .243 Winchester. The Contender can fire .410 bore shotgun shells, either through the .45 Colt/.410 barrel or through a special 21-inch (530 mm) smoothbore shotgun barrel. A ported, rifled, .44 Magnum barrel was made available for use with shotshell cartridges in a removable-choke .44 Magnum barrel, with the choke being used to unspin the shot from the barrel rifling, or, by removing the choke, for use with standard .44 Magnum cartridges. The degree of flexibility provided by the Contender design is unique for experimenting with new cartridges, handloads, barrel lengths, and shotshells.[2]

The original Contender is now known as the generation one (G1) Contender and was replaced by the G2 Contender in 1998. The new design is dimensionally the same as the original Contender, but uses an Encore-style trigger group. Due to the changes in the trigger mechanism, and to differences in the angle of the grip relative to the boreline of the gun, the buttstocks and pistol grips are different between the G1 and G2 Contenders and will not interchange. The G2 uses essentially the same barrels and fore-ends as the original Contender and barrels will interchange, with the only two exceptions being the G2 muzzleloading barrels, which will only fit the G2 frame, and the Herrett barrels/fore-ends, which are specific for use only on a G1 frame."

I'm usually a hard guy to impress. I am extremely impressed, and thankful for that information. I think I might have spoke out of line, because I seen some 308 barrels but it was a contender Pro hunter. And I'm sure that that's the newest and not interchangeable.

7 hours ago, billt said:

My Encore Pro Hunter in .308. It handles the pressure just fine.

RRaoGpW.jpg?2

I love it. My next gun! Do they make scope rails for that? I don't mean to seem a litter at about the contender, I live two miles away from the fin feather fur. It's kind of like a Gander Mountain. That's where I bought my first one. They don't sell them any more. Have to drive 30 miles to get one.

• Like 1

Yes, they make several scope rail systems for it. The rear sight comes off exposing the screws for the base. I haven't scoped mine yet, but at some point I'm going to. Be sure to use a steel base and rings of good quality. SSK Industries make some of the best, but they're expensive. I've heard some Aluminum bases won't hold up to the recoil of this gun in .308. They also make a .30-06 barrel for it as well.

I got mine from a local dealer through Davidson's Gallery Of Guns. Just go to www.galleryofguns.com and punch in your zip code. Dealers will show up within a 25 mile radius of your house, and you can purchase from any one of them.

Edited by billt
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

The contender has it's limitations

My favorite .308 bore barrel is either the 30-30AI or the 308 Bellm (shown here)

It's taken quite a few whitetails anywhere inside of 225 yards is a piece of cake!

... and it's only a 14" barrel with an added muzzle brake

308 Bellm w cherry furniture x sm.jpg

• Like 2

I regret selling some of the guns I had in my collection over the years but my biggest regret is selling a G1 Contender pistol with 22lr, 44mag, and 357mag barrels. Had some nice walnut target grips on it and a decent scope on the 44 mag. That 14" 44 barrel had a good bit of torque to it when you squeezed one off. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Dave,

You can still enjoy the break-actions, just select light recoiling cartridges like something from the TCU family

Bench shooting with a rifle wearing a bipod in 204 Ruger is absolutely a pleasure

204 sm.jpg