ATTENTION CAR GUYS!!!

2 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

The signs say "No Reserve" and "Absolute". There should be a LOT of money change hands there that day.

If I had money. lol

There's 3 that grab me. The 2-tone Grand Prix, the Cougar (Eliminator?), and the Telladega(?) Torino.

Personally, I'd love that big, heavy Grand Prix. My dad had one in black. An SJ with a 455.

Dang I miss that car.

1 hour ago, 1fast4by said:

Sure....Let me just write the check....They take checks right?

I sure hope he'll take a check. I wouldn't want to walk around with a briefcase full of money.

Anybody ever been to an auction like this? I can't find much information. I wonder if they'll want to to somehow get prequalified or something to ensure you can write a check. I also wonder if there will be a day ahead of time one can inspect the cars. Further, I wonder if there will be a buyer's premium. Hopefully, they will have more info on their website closer to time.

43 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I sure hope he'll take a check. I wouldn't want to walk around with a briefcase full of money.

Anybody ever been to an auction like this? I can't find much information. I wonder if they'll want to to somehow get prequalified or something to ensure you can write a check. I also wonder if there will be a day ahead of time one can inspect the cars. Further, I wonder if there will be a buyer's premium. Hopefully, they will have more info on their website closer to time.

A lot of that is answered here....

https://www.apro.bid/auction/the-doug-smith-memorial-classic-car-auction-1362/bidgallery/

and here...

https://www.bigsouthauctioncompany.com/

• Like 1
On 3/13/2019 at 1:12 PM, hipower said:

If I had money. lol

There's 3 that grab me. The 2-tone Grand Prix, the Cougar (Eliminator?), and the Telladega(?) Torino.

Personally, I'd love that big, heavy Grand Prix. My dad had one in black. An SJ with a 455.

Dang I miss that car.

Eliminators were made in 1969 and 1970.  By the VIN this '68 Cougar was originally a 302-4v car.  The "Torino" is actually a Fairlane, but from the VIN does appear to have been a factory 428 car, if it truly is a matching numbers car it will probably (depending on condition) bring some decent money.  I don't know enough about Pontiacs to comment on the Gran Prix.

From what I can see in the listing, most of these cars have been either mildly, or in some cases extensively modified from stock.  Except in rare cases, modified cars don't bring the same money as highly optioned original cars in good condition.  There does appear to be some nice looking cars in this auction, but the lack of presentation in the online listings makes the overall condition difficult to ascertain, and the location of the auction is questionable at best if the owner is looking for top dollar on these cars.  Having said that, it's still an interesting auction and I'm looking forward to how it turns out.  Thanks to grenintenn for linking this ...

• Like 3
On 3/13/2019 at 4:43 PM, gregintenn said:

Many years ago I was fairly active in the collector car auction circuit.  Typically you will need either a bank letter of credit to certify you to bid or something along the lines of a cashiers check on deposit.  Well-known collectors with previous experience at this type of auction are often exempt from this requirement.  I'm sure that today some sort of electronic certification is also an option. However, this company is not one of the typical collector car auction companies and may have entirely different procedures for bidder certification.  In any case, you will need to register in advance, or show up sufficiently early enough before the auction start time to register.

Collector car auctions almost always have a buyer's premium, if this one is 6-8% that is in the lower range of what is typical.  As for inspection availability, this varies auction by auction but normally the cars will be onsite at least a day ahead of time with set times for viewing and inspection.  If I were interested in attending and potentially bidding on any of these, a quick call to the auction house to clarify what their procedures are would be my first move.

Edited by No_0ne
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, No_0ne said:

Eliminators were made in 1969 and 1970.  By the VIN this '68 Cougar was originally a 302-4v car.  The "Torino" is actually a Fairlane, but from the VIN does appear to have been a factory 428 car, if it truly is a matching numbers car it will probably (depending on condition) bring some decent money.  I don't know enough about Pontiacs to comment on the Gran Prix.

From what I can see in the listing, most of these cars have been either mildly, or in some cases extensively modified from stock.  Except in rare cases, modified cars don't bring the same money as highly optioned original cars in good condition.  There does appear to be some nice looking cars in this auction, but the lack of presentation in the online listings makes the overall condition difficult to ascertain, and the location of the auction is questionable at best if the owner is looking for top dollar on these cars.  Having said that, it's still an interesting auction and I'm looking forward to how it turns out.  Thanks to grenintenn for linking this ...

Thanks. That's quite informative, and I still wish I had some extra cash just to go look and see about a weekend cruiser with some style and flash.

On 3/13/2019 at 3:11 PM, 1fast4by said:

Sure....Let me just write the check....They take checks right?

When our kids were younger and wanted something more than we had the money for they would tell mom "just write a check". That is our standard reply if we don't have the money for some big ticket item. Thanks Greg, now I will have to buy a lottery ticket in order to just write a check. LOL

• Like 1
17 hours ago, No_0ne said:

Where;d you find VIN numbers?

https://www.apro.bid/auction/the-doug-smith-memorial-classic-car-auction-1362/bidgallery/

Ah ha! I found more info in this link.

You think this would be a good place to get a deal on a driver? I'm not real interested in originality.

I did see the buyer's premium is 10%.

Edited by gregintenn
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

You think this would be a good place to get a deal on a driver? I'm not real interested in originality.

It Could be. But not only are you going to have collectors there; you are going to have a bunch of dealers. This is all “no reserve”, so all these cars are going to be sold; that attracts a lot of people.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

It Could be. But not only are you going to have collectors there; you are going to have a bunch of dealers. This is all “no reserve”, so all these cars are going to be sold; that attracts a lot of people.

Maybe one will slip between the cracks.

2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Maybe one will slip between the cracks.

Sure, that’s why I said it could be. If I was in the market right now; I would be there. You should check it out, not only is there the possibility you find something, but you may meet someone that has what you want.

• Like 1

You can probably find a decent driver there, from the (admittedly bad) pics that seems to be mostly what these cars are, I don't see any that would be high end restorations.  Most look like they have had a respray of paint, and some basic detailing, pretty much what a lot dealer would do to cars to sell. Get your bank letter of credit for the amount you would spend, register at the auction, and go for it.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

This was worth attending even though it turned out I wasn't the high bidder on anything. There was a large crowd, and they actually ran the cars through at a brisk pace. I do believe a man could have made some money there today, but he'd need more knowledge and confidence than I possess.

I will say the photographer was quite talented, as many of the cars were pretty rough. Some were quite nice, however. There were what I believe to be a few original muscle cars, and they brought prices accordingly. I'm glad I went.

Anybody else go?

https://www.apro.bid/auction/1362/bidgallery/

Final prices in link above.

I'm about sick I didn't keep bidding on the Cobra. It was very nice. Not perfect, but very, very nice.

Edited by gregintenn
32 minutes ago, hipower said:

Yes, they were. Made for some interesting pics though. lol

Seriously though, I didn't get to go, and that saddens me. I was very tempted by that 1972 Gran Prix. Lots of memories tied to one of those.

That was one rough p.o.s. It did sound good however sever.