Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
gregintenn

ATTENTION CAR GUYS!!!

Recommended Posts

I would say that little town is going to have a lot of traffic that day.  Looks like a few really nice one's in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be nice to see them even though I can’t affor them. A lot of nice ones!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The signs say "No Reserve" and "Absolute". There should be a LOT of money change hands there that day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

The signs say "No Reserve" and "Absolute". There should be a LOT of money change hands there that day.

If I had money. lol

There's 3 that grab me. The 2-tone Grand Prix, the Cougar (Eliminator?), and the Telladega(?) Torino.

Personally, I'd love that big, heavy Grand Prix. My dad had one in black. An SJ with a 455.

Dang I miss that car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1fast4by said:

Sure....Let me just write the check....They take checks right?

I sure hope he'll take a check. I wouldn't want to walk around with a briefcase full of money.

Anybody ever been to an auction like this? I can't find much information. I wonder if they'll want to to somehow get prequalified or something to ensure you can write a check. I also wonder if there will be a day ahead of time one can inspect the cars. Further, I wonder if there will be a buyer's premium. Hopefully, they will have more info on their website closer to time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I sure hope he'll take a check. I wouldn't want to walk around with a briefcase full of money.

Anybody ever been to an auction like this? I can't find much information. I wonder if they'll want to to somehow get prequalified or something to ensure you can write a check. I also wonder if there will be a day ahead of time one can inspect the cars. Further, I wonder if there will be a buyer's premium. Hopefully, they will have more info on their website closer to time.

A lot of that is answered here....

https://www.apro.bid/auction/the-doug-smith-memorial-classic-car-auction-1362/bidgallery/

and here...

https://www.bigsouthauctioncompany.com/

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So there is a buyer's premium. I can't tell for sure, but it looks like 6 or 8%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 1:12 PM, hipower said:

If I had money. lol

There's 3 that grab me. The 2-tone Grand Prix, the Cougar (Eliminator?), and the Telladega(?) Torino.

Personally, I'd love that big, heavy Grand Prix. My dad had one in black. An SJ with a 455.

Dang I miss that car.

Eliminators were made in 1969 and 1970.  By the VIN this '68 Cougar was originally a 302-4v car.  The "Torino" is actually a Fairlane, but from the VIN does appear to have been a factory 428 car, if it truly is a matching numbers car it will probably (depending on condition) bring some decent money.  I don't know enough about Pontiacs to comment on the Gran Prix.

From what I can see in the listing, most of these cars have been either mildly, or in some cases extensively modified from stock.  Except in rare cases, modified cars don't bring the same money as highly optioned original cars in good condition.  There does appear to be some nice looking cars in this auction, but the lack of presentation in the online listings makes the overall condition difficult to ascertain, and the location of the auction is questionable at best if the owner is looking for top dollar on these cars.  Having said that, it's still an interesting auction and I'm looking forward to how it turns out.  Thanks to grenintenn for linking this ...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 4:43 PM, gregintenn said:

I sure hope he'll take a check. I wouldn't want to walk around with a briefcase full of money.

Anybody ever been to an auction like this? I can't find much information. I wonder if they'll want to to somehow get prequalified or something to ensure you can write a check. I also wonder if there will be a day ahead of time one can inspect the cars. Further, I wonder if there will be a buyer's premium. Hopefully, they will have more info on their website closer to time.

Many years ago I was fairly active in the collector car auction circuit.  Typically you will need either a bank letter of credit to certify you to bid or something along the lines of a cashiers check on deposit.  Well-known collectors with previous experience at this type of auction are often exempt from this requirement.  I'm sure that today some sort of electronic certification is also an option. However, this company is not one of the typical collector car auction companies and may have entirely different procedures for bidder certification.  In any case, you will need to register in advance, or show up sufficiently early enough before the auction start time to register.

Collector car auctions almost always have a buyer's premium, if this one is 6-8% that is in the lower range of what is typical.  As for inspection availability, this varies auction by auction but normally the cars will be onsite at least a day ahead of time with set times for viewing and inspection.  If I were interested in attending and potentially bidding on any of these, a quick call to the auction house to clarify what their procedures are would be my first move.

 

Edited by No_0ne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, No_0ne said:

Eliminators were made in 1969 and 1970.  By the VIN this '68 Cougar was originally a 302-4v car.  The "Torino" is actually a Fairlane, but from the VIN does appear to have been a factory 428 car, if it truly is a matching numbers car it will probably (depending on condition) bring some decent money.  I don't know enough about Pontiacs to comment on the Gran Prix.

From what I can see in the listing, most of these cars have been either mildly, or in some cases extensively modified from stock.  Except in rare cases, modified cars don't bring the same money as highly optioned original cars in good condition.  There does appear to be some nice looking cars in this auction, but the lack of presentation in the online listings makes the overall condition difficult to ascertain, and the location of the auction is questionable at best if the owner is looking for top dollar on these cars.  Having said that, it's still an interesting auction and I'm looking forward to how it turns out.  Thanks to grenintenn for linking this ...

Thanks. That's quite informative, and I still wish I had some extra cash just to go look and see about a weekend cruiser with some style and flash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2019 at 3:11 PM, 1fast4by said:

Sure....Let me just write the check....They take checks right?

When our kids were younger and wanted something more than we had the money for they would tell mom "just write a check". That is our standard reply if we don't have the money for some big ticket item. Thanks Greg, now I will have to buy a lottery ticket in order to just write a check. LOL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, No_0ne said:

Eliminators were made in 1969 and 1970.  By the VIN this '68 Cougar was originally a 302-4v car.  The "Torino" is actually a Fairlane, but from the VIN does appear to have been a factory 428 car, if it truly is a matching numbers car it will probably (depending on condition) bring some decent money.  I don't know enough about Pontiacs to comment on the Gran Prix.

From what I can see in the listing, most of these cars have been either mildly, or in some cases extensively modified from stock.  Except in rare cases, modified cars don't bring the same money as highly optioned original cars in good condition.  There does appear to be some nice looking cars in this auction, but the lack of presentation in the online listings makes the overall condition difficult to ascertain, and the location of the auction is questionable at best if the owner is looking for top dollar on these cars.  Having said that, it's still an interesting auction and I'm looking forward to how it turns out.  Thanks to grenintenn for linking this ...

Where;d you find VIN numbers?

https://www.apro.bid/auction/the-doug-smith-memorial-classic-car-auction-1362/bidgallery/

 

Ah ha! I found more info in this link.

 

You think this would be a good place to get a deal on a driver? I'm not real interested in originality.

I did see the buyer's premium is 10%.

Edited by gregintenn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

You think this would be a good place to get a deal on a driver? I'm not real interested in originality.

It Could be. But not only are you going to have collectors there; you are going to have a bunch of dealers. This is all “no reserve”, so all these cars are going to be sold; that attracts a lot of people.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

It Could be. But not only are you going to have collectors there; you are going to have a bunch of dealers. This is all “no reserve”, so all these cars are going to be sold; that attracts a lot of people.

Maybe one will slip between the cracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Maybe one will slip between the cracks.

Sure, that’s why I said it could be. If I was in the market right now; I would be there. You should check it out, not only is there the possibility you find something, but you may meet someone that has what you want.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can probably find a decent driver there, from the (admittedly bad) pics that seems to be mostly what these cars are, I don't see any that would be high end restorations.  Most look like they have had a respray of paint, and some basic detailing, pretty much what a lot dealer would do to cars to sell. Get your bank letter of credit for the amount you would spend, register at the auction, and go for it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines