Swai fish

I saw a bag of this at the grocery store last week. Never heard of it. I bought a bag and fried it. Surprise! It is among the best fish I've ever eaten. I'd rank it right up there with Red Snapper and Crappie. I will go back and stock my freezer with it. If you haven't tried it, I'd suggest you do.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, Capbyrd said:

The asian buffets around here used to have signs that said fried catfish.   Now they all say fried swai fillets but its the same fish.   So I always assumed that it was just a Chinese knockoff of real catfish. 

I believe it’s actually Vietnamese, but yep. Still a catfish. 

1 minute ago, robtattoo said:

But it actually IS catfish! It's really, really catfish!!

It does not taste, smell, or feel like any variety of catfish I've ever seen. Internet pictures do prove you correct, however. It definitely appears to be a variety of catfish. I wish all catfish tasted like what I ate.

n 2002, the United States accused Vietnam of dumping catfish, namely P. bocourti and P. hypophthalmus, on the American market, arguing that the Vietnamese exporters, who are subsidised by Vietnam's government, constituted unfair competition.[7][8] With pressures from the U.S. catfish industry, the United States Congress passed a law in 2003 preventing the imported fish from being labelled as catfish, as well as imposing additional tariffs on the imported fish.[9] Under the U.S. Food and Drug Administration ruling, only species from the family Ictaluridae can be sold as true catfish.[3] As a result, the Vietnamese exporters of this fish now label their products sold in the U.S. as basa fish, striped pangasius, swai or bocourti.[10][11]

At the height of the "catfish war", U.S. catfish farmers and others were describing the imported catfish as an inferior product. However, Mississippi State University researchers found imported basa were preferred three-to-one to US catfish in a small (58 testers) blind taste test.[12]

• Like 1