Watch: Little Rock Officer Fires 15 Rounds into Windshield of Stolen Vehicle

His record will hurt him, if they are allowed to bring it up in trial.  What was damning in my opinion, is that he started shooting, BEFORE he knew of a gun, and then  moved to the front of the car, after he had already started shooting so it sure looks like he wont be able to say he shot in  self defense because the guy was using his car as a weapon...

In today's political environment, there's little room for benefit of the doubt at all.  I suspect soon we wont have LEOs that engage criminals...

15 minutes ago, Defender said:

His record will hurt him, if they are allowed to bring it up in trial.  What was damning in my opinion, is that he started shooting, BEFORE he knew of a gun, and then  moved to the front of the car, after he had already started shooting so it sure looks like he wont be able to say he shot in  self defense because the guy was using his car as a weapon...

In today's political environment, there's little room for benefit of the doubt at all.  I suspect soon we wont have LEOs that engage criminals...

I have 2 friends that are...I don't know how they do it honestly.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
22 minutes ago, Defender said:

Not only will his record hurt him, it’s going to hurt the city and its taxpayers tremendously. I expect a very large judgement to result from the imminent civil case. 

4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Depends on the DA, but my WAG is that Officer is headed to trial. If he was in Nashville the Mayor would tell the DA to charge him with murder.

I would say you are probably right.  His record is going to dig him a deep hole.  It will probably be an easy way for the city to get rid of someone that has been reprimanded 10 times.  If it had been anyone else with a good personnel record, they might not have had any problems.

I don't see any charges coming.  A stolen vehicle stop is a felony stop, so drawn weapons is policy in most jurisdictions, the perp knew he was in a stolen vehicle, knew he had a gun, and still refused commands. IMO, the LEO's previous write-ups, should not be a determining factor in this incident; he was directed to the vehicle, and he had a perfectly reasonable reason to fire.  He may not be the best guy on the force, but nothing in this set of videos shows, IMO,  negligence or unnecessary  force.  

3 hours ago, Omega said:

I don't see any charges coming.  A stolen vehicle stop is a felony stop, so drawn weapons is policy in most jurisdictions, the perp knew he was in a stolen vehicle, knew he had a gun, and still refused commands. IMO, the LEO's previous write-ups, should not be a determining factor in this incident; he was directed to the vehicle, and he had a perfectly reasonable reason to fire.  He may not be the best guy on the force, but nothing in this set of videos shows, IMO,  negligence or unnecessary  force.  

My comments had nothing to do with his previous record. As far as criminal charges; he will be judged on what took place in that incident only.

There were no comments about a gun (until later); so I don’t know if he saw one or not. He opened fire standing beside the car. He laid on the hood after he began to fire.

If he claims the guy tried to run him over; that video puts him on shaky ground.

I’m all for being able to shoot fleeing forcible felons; although the courts disagree. But even then, auto theft isn’t a forcible felony.

But who knows; that guy may have pointed a gun at him, and that is why the Officer opened fire. I don’t know. When an armed criminal gets shot by the cops or a citizen; I give the benefit of the doubt to the cop or citizen. The courts may not, but juries usually do.

• Like 1

IDK, the LEO getting more in front of the car may have been a mistake, but when the car kept coming, yea, I would have made the same choice.   As to the gun...The LEO was just doing a felony stop, the perp knew the car was stolen, the perp knew he had a gun, which is probably why he didn't get out when told to do so, instead choosing to try to run the cop down.