Boy, just 16 years old, stabbed to death and set on fire by MS-13 in DC suburb

I'll give it a shot. 

"mother said that they came to the United States from El Salvador to escape the gang, but were not able to do so" 

Looks like he became a member anyway because MS13 gangs rule in communities where large numbers of illegal immigrants end up.

Why? Maybe the parents of these kids are working their butts off being exploited with sub wages because of their illegal status.

No time to watch the kiddos so the gangs exploit them to deal drugs etc. 

Kids are probably willing to join at first. Easy money, excitement. A vicious cycle. Illegal immigration is cruel and should be stopped.

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, A.J. Holst said:

Gangs offer father figures to young men and boys, a nuclear family of sorts, that supposedly kids actually want.

Replace Dad with .gov as the "in lieu of absent parent," you have created a recruiting model.

I believe this to be quite accurate. A corner stone of stability in western civilization is the nuclear family models. This is why the natural outcome of the Great Society programs that pushed fathers out of the homes is what you have in urban neighborhoods where gang violence is the norm and in excess of 70% of children born out of wedlock. Patriarchal monogamy was one of the primary drivers that led to the ascent of western civilization, and the very successful attacks on it over the last half century are a primary reason we are in decline. 

• Like 2

Johnson's Great Society, aka the War on Poverty.

Are we winning?

If increasing single parent Black families from 30% to over 60%, with White and Latino percentages rising as well, its a success.

We struggled and continue to struggle with our 26 year old kid, I cannot imagine the challenges a single parent faces.

On 3/16/2019 at 8:35 PM, Garufa said:

Then why even post it?  Seriously, what’s the point?  

TGO is not The Blaze and it’s not Brietbart. 

Maybe I have a misunderstanding of the word "General".  When I see Forum headings of "General" Chat or "General" Politics, I thought that meant exactly what it said, or as Meriam Webster defines it "not confined by specialization or careful limitation".  In other words, any subject.  You won't get news stories like this on most liberal media because it does not fit their narrative of open borders.  I thought some members on here might like to see it.  I know I don't see everything that is happening in the world and it is good to see that members post articles of "General" Interest that help me keep informed.

If this had happened to some of the open border advocates children, I wonder if they would continue to feel the same way about open borders.  As far as politicians that advocate open borders, it is Alinsky rules "the ends justify the means" - collateral damage.  More illegals, means more Democrat votes, which means more power and more control.  Whatever it takes to get there.  I was going to make the point that if beasts (MS-13) such as this were kept out of the country, we would have a safer country.  I'm calmer today and can make that point more rationally than I could have when I posted the article.

1 hour ago, volshayes said:

Maybe I have a misunderstanding of the word "General".  When I see Forum headings of "General" Chat or "General" Politics, I thought that meant exactly what it said, or as Meriam Webster defines it "not confined by specialization or careful limitation".  In other words, any subject.  You won't get news stories like this on most liberal media because it does not fit their narrative of open borders.  I thought some members on here might like to see it.  I know I don't see everything that is happening in the world and it is good to see that members post articles of "General" Interest that help me keep informed.

Posting a link for the near exclusive purpose of posting a link isn't much of a value add to the forum.  For the most part, we're all pretty cognizant of how to stay informed, and don't confine ourselves to the "liberal media"- whatever the definition of that is for the week- to keep up with events. 

Posting a link and getting a conversation started by offering a perspective, or thought unexpressed in the article is a different story, and one of the reasons I like to stick around.  What I think Garfua was getting at, though he's quite at liberty to correct me if I'm wrong, is some variation of that. 

This being a discussion site, we should discuss things and have some great debates, not just post links and like them a la Facebook before we move onto the next shiny thing.  We've got some well thought folks on the board, so it kind of pains me to think we could devolve into what you see elsewhere in social media if we're not keeping ourselves intellectually honest.

That's just my take, and since I'm not a moderator, the take and $1.10 will only get you a large coke or tea at McDonald's...grain of salt included at no extra charge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, volshayes said:

If this had happened to some of the open border advocates children, I wonder if they would continue to feel the same way about open borders.  As far as politicians that advocate open borders, it is Alinsky rules "the ends justify the means" - collateral damage.  More illegals, means more Democrat votes, which means more power and more control.  Whatever it takes to get there.  I was going to make the point that if beasts (MS-13) such as this were kept out of the country, we would have a safer country.  I'm calmer today and can make that point more rationally than I could have when I posted the article.

Using this story as a reason to build a wall is ridiculous.  You can find stories like this daily that have nothing to do with immigrants.   

2 hours ago, btq96r said:

Posting a link for the near exclusive purpose of posting a link isn't much of a value add to the forum.  For the most part, we're all pretty cognizant of how to stay informed, and don't confine ourselves to the "liberal media"- whatever the definition of that is for the week- to keep up with events. 

Posting a link and getting a conversation started by offering a perspective, or thought unexpressed in the article is a different story, and one of the reasons I like to stick around.  What I think Garfua was getting at, though he's quite at liberty to correct me if I'm wrong, is some variation of that. 

This being a discussion site, we should discuss things and have some great debates, not just post links and like them a la Facebook before we move onto the next shiny thing.  We've got some well thought folks on the board, so it kind of pains me to think we could devolve into what you see elsewhere in social media if we're not keeping ourselves intellectually honest.

That's just my take, and since I'm not a moderator, the take and $1.10 will only get you a large coke or tea at McDonald's...grain of salt included at no extra charge.

That sums up the gist of my post fairly well.  

10 hours ago, btq96r said:

I respect your opinion.  I posted it thinking that it might bring forth some discussion, although I did not want to write what I was thinking at the time.  I didn't post it for the likes, only as information to discuss.  I know I don't see everything that happens in the news and I don't mind seeing information posted that I may miss.  If I don't want to see it, I just move on to the next post.  Thank you for the perspective though.  I will keep that in mind.

Edited by volshayes
8 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

Using this story as a reason to build a wall is ridiculous.  You can find stories like this daily that have nothing to do with immigrants.   

Those stories that happen everyday that have nothing to do with illegal immigrants are definitely hard to stop.  The stories that do involve illegal immigrants are much easier to stop.  If the criminal element are not allowed here, they can't murder anyone.  That's an easy fix, good border security, vetting who enters the country, can stop these incidents.  Protecting our own citizens comes first, at least for me.

Edited by volshayes