Help/shoulder surgery/shooting

Prybar

If there are any of you out there that have went through shoulder surgery, maybe you can offer a little advice for me. I'm 9 weeks into a major one, 3 torn rotator cuff tendons, one detached bicep tendon, 1 bone spur, 2 Bursa sacs removed and a shredded bicep muscle reattached. On my shooting arm.

I ordered a couple new left-handed holsters. But I have to learn to shoot left-handed. And I'm anxious.

Maybe, another way to chamber a pistol with one hand. Right now I can't even get the orange plug out of the pistol to chamber a bullet.(new evo),(45 ultra carry).

I asked my physical therapist when I will be able to pull the slide back on my a micro 9, he won't give me any kind of answer, he has never held a gun. This is in Cleveland OH, but he's also 30 years old.

Just wondering if any of you out there have had shoulder surgery and what kind of timeframe they were able to start shooting? As in being able to chamber a bullet, to being able to shoot a long gun. Let's say like a .308 Winchester.

I haven't had shoulder surgery but have spoken with several people who have, as I also have had shoulder issues.  Their answers are 6 months to 75% (which means mostly normal just being careful about some things) and 12 months to 100%. Unfortunately, it's a really slow recovery. None regretted it and all said it was better once healed, but it's a long road. 

• Like 2

I have absolutely no idea on the shoulder surgery, but I'd maybe consider a small frame, small caliber revolver for weak side carry. No slide to worry about, no tap-&-rack, just point and pull. 

You'd be amazed how quickly you can learn to shoot left handed with a pistol. Your subconscious takes over and aligns the sight to your dominant eye instantly. The tougher part is learning to manipulate the gun from the holster with your weird hand, but that comes with practice.

I'm far from being an expert on, well, anything, but I reckon that something like one of the hammerless Smiths or a Ruger LCR in .38spl in a VERY simple, slip holster should see you right.

• Like 3

Prybar, I went thru the same thing a yr. ago. I'm right handed/ right shoulder surgery. I was out in the yard one day, decided to experiment. Got my BB pistol & a tin can, tossed it in the yd., shot with the left hand. Surprised, but did well. Eventually, tried my Walther PPS 9mm. same results. Did about as well with either. Bought a L. hand holster for it & carried it, til I got my other hand back. It does take about 12 mos. to get back to normal. It's a slow process, don't try to rush it & cause damage.

BTW, I did figure out a way to use my zero turn with the sling on. Made an extension for the R. hand bar, kept on trucking.

Good luck, I feel your pain.

• Like 2

I had a piece of metal put in my left collar bone to reattach the broken bone.

I had the surgery  July of 2017 and still am not back up to 100%. Will probably never be.

I just learned to do things with my right side.

Sorry could not be more help. 

Thanks alot all. I tried to prep my mind for this. I mow 8 acres yard.

My biggest problem is, my type A Personality.

I have purchased four pistols since Jan. I just look and drool.

The revolver is a great idea and a good reason to get one.

25 minutes ago, Prybar said:

Thanks alot all. I tried to prep my mind for this. I mow 8 acres yard.

You mow 8 acres? :eek:

Mow an 8-10ft border around it and let the rest grow, it makes good critter habitat.  Find a farmer nearby who wants the hay and let them have it (my in-laws do that). 

20 hours ago, Prybar said:

I like it clean and pristine, like my guns,lol. I have three houses on the same road.

Where there's a will, there's a way. I just hate to be outdone. You'll figure it out, hang in there pardner.

I once had an Army doctor tell me I'd likely lose my right leg below the knee. I still have it, it keeps my butt off the ground quite well. Stubborn ole cuss, LOL.

Edited by Grunt67